Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Elections and Politics

So we understand that there's a different election process for each type of metro, so maybe this won't always be the case, but in a scientific metro it's voted on. 

How will the "Vote for me" and "vote for pedro" spammers be minimized? There needs to be thousands of active players to make a metro, so how will citizens become aware of who is running and why to vote for them?

Comments

• Perhaps it could be through posters in taverns or even a central type voting system where each candidate has say 400 words to explain what they stand for and their campaign. Players running could also pay a fee to have towncriers spread their message or even have posters put up around the node. Spammers are a real concern though!
  • Just don't vote for spammers. Talk to people about politics to see who wants to do what. And spam "Don't vote for spammers!".
  • I think elections and politics will depend on the type of node we have. Militaristic-type nodes might be influenced by players with high PvP scores; Scientific ones by democracy; and those focused on economy by an oligarchy consisting of the wealthy. I will just paste something from dev blog(https://www.ashesofcreation.com/node-series-part-2-metropolis/): "node type also determines the type of government that a Node has. The most traditional government comes from the Scientific node, which allows the citizens to come together and choose their leaders. The Divine type, allocates its leaders through service oriented quests, quests that directly help others and their Node, quests that prove their faith and dedication to the node. Economic type governments are run by an Elite Oligarchy. These positions can be bought and sold, so if you want to rule an Economic type Node, make sure your coin purse is heavier than your competition. Finally, the Militaristic type is rule by combat. Whoever are the last ones standing have proven their worth to lead, by iron fist and sharpened blade. These warriors can only be removed from office by citizens who are better and more bloodthirsty than they."

I imagine Scientific nodes will be run based on a simple version of democracy borrowed from ancient Greece. So we might have a forum where all citizens gather to discuss and debate things, followed by an election of some number of representatives who have a more permanent city-council.

I can't stop thinking of Russia in the 1990s every time I read Oligarchy haha I just know I don't want to be part of that...

I am not sure about Divine nodes. We would have to think of a way to define divinity in this game, it seems it will be focused on some idea of justice and not necessarily religion.

• So we understand that there's a different election process for each type of metro, so maybe this won't always be the case, but in a scientific metro it's voted on. 

How will the "Vote for me" and "vote for pedro" spammers be minimized? There needs to be thousands of active players to make a metro, so how will citizens become aware of who is running and why to vote for them?
    I am betting it would be the least used type of metro.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited January 2018
    Restrictions on amount of messages through chat ? special chat ONLY for elections, lots of ways really but since there are only 5 metros and apparently elections are going to happen per month (IRL) then I don't think a day or two of spam is too much of a bother.

There is a video on the nodes that explains the ideas behind the vothing system for each metro type.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44HChA1Kkfk&t=2s
  • Tomoyuki said:
    So we understand that there's a different election process for each type of metro, so maybe this won't always be the case, but in a scientific metro it's voted on. 

i don't know. Since scientific will be the only metro type to have fast-travel of any kind
  • Tomoyuki said:

i don't know. Since scientific will be the only metro type to have fast-travel of any kind
    It will be interesting to see how they balance that fast-travel as it seems quite a powerful tool.
  • Narys said:
    Tomoyuki said:

It will be interesting to see how they balance that fast-travel as it seems quite a powerful tool.

I think they said that it won't be outright fast travel, can't be sure though, we do know that it's a science node exclusive atm anyway(and will probably work only on the nodes terrain), obviously other nodes get their own benefits so nothing to worry about I hope :D

• I think they said that it won't be outright fast travel, can't be sure though, we do know that it's a science node exclusive atm anyway(and will probably work only on the nodes terrain), obviously other nodes get their own benefits so nothing to worry about I hope :D
    I can't post the quote atm but on discord he said that air travel is tied to scientific metros which leads me to believe it's not teleportation and instead some kind of flight path system.
  • Hmm, to be honest the flying confuses me, I doubt it's going to be along the lines of airships since the game doesn't seem to go in a steampunk-ish direction, maybe some gryphons ? considering that dragons are supposed to be rare and all.

Could some magic powered flying vehicle though for all we know.
  • Here is the quote. Remember Steven says how he envisions things when he is excited in interviews and uses jargon that sometimes is clear in his mind, but means something else to other people. Don't forget the whole "battle pet" comment that caused people such consternation till it was clarified.