Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

In game marriage and you, is this something you want in AoC?

I been in a few MOs that had people get married in them. They had in game events to mark the occasion, even a party of two after. But is this something you would like to see supported in AoC?

In UO for example, players would make rings for the couple, even the wedding clothes, and yes they did a cake. I always thought of it as cool. Plus on top of that I learned a few of those couple got married in real life too.

It's something that doesn't have to be there, but if you making a close gaming community, why not add this as one of the social perks.

Plus IMO maybe add a few more smaller things for the married couples.

Like:

1. a shared bank account, to store their items together.

2. small bonus when in the same party together

3. npc kids for the freehold, you don't get them unless your married.

It's something I always found a nice touch when done right, so why not have it supported in this game?

What do you guys think?

OH, and the honeymoon could be a small dungeon the couple can do together, and it will grant then items for their freehold, stuff to help it look super nice. The better they do in that dungeon, the better the items will be. Just a thought.  

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited January 2018
    Players could open their own Crate and Barrel and Bed, Bath and Beyond stores so the people invited will buy the happy couple their obligation gift.
    edited January 2018
    Its not something I would use but I see no reason to stand against it.
    I was at a few weddings in Asheron's Call, and I think it did add something to the game.
  • As long as no benefits are given to married couples as opposed as those living in sin. Don't ask don't tell as far as I am concerned. 
  • Only if I can be a polygamist
  • I really like the idea of NPC kids. That's something I don't think I've seen in another MMO. Roleplayers (including myself) will be ecstatic! These are all wonderful ideas and I think having marriage be something more than just a background thing would be very cool.

The shared bank account would be a very welcome thing for me and my husband (we play together)
  • Granthor said:

In UO for example, players would make rings for the couple, even the wedding clothes, and yes they did a cake. I always thought of it as cool. Plus on top of that I learned a few of those couple got married in real life too.

Plus IMO maybe add a few more smaller things for the married couples.

Like:

1. a shared bank account, to store their items together.

2. small bonus when in the same party together

3. npc kids for the freehold, you don't get them unless your married.

It's something I always found a nice touch when done right, so why not have it supported in this game?

What do you guys think?

OH, and the honeymoon could be a small dungeon the couple can do together, and it will grant then items for their freehold, stuff to help it look super nice. The better they do in that dungeon, the better the items will be. Just a thought.  

All of the yes! I love the idea of getting married, and having these perks is a hella cool idea! >v<
  • Kitzi said:
    I really like the idea of NPC kids. That's something I don't think I've seen in another MMO. Roleplayers (including myself) will be ecstatic! These are all wonderful ideas and I think having marriage be something more than just a background thing would be very cool.

The shared bank account would be a very welcome thing for me and my husband (we play together)
    There have been a few threads on this over the last year here. Basically you probably won't ever see interactable npc children in an mmo, because people are perverted, cruel, and weird. Think of the outrage when the RP pedo tavern is exposed and IS has to do pr damage control for their own in-game pizzagate. I will leave this video montage of what some people did with the children of Skyrim.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQTV43g-hAo
  • There have been a few threads on this over the last year here. Basically you probably won't ever see interactable npc children in an mmo, because people are perverted, cruel, and weird. Think of the outrage when the RP pedo tavern is exposed and IS has to do pr damage control for their own in-game pizzagate. I will leave this video montage of what some people did with the children of Skyrim.
    That is very disappointing, but I guess it sadly should be expected. I'll point out that they would have had to make a mod to do those things to the kids in Skyrim, and almost every game I have played makes it so you can't kill kids, or do much of anything with them really.
  • I don't think there should be bonuses to stats/xp-gen/fast-travel/etc. just because two players marry their toons. Adding benefits mean players marry for benefits.
    Other than the "no benefits" thing, I think this should be an option.

As for the shared bank accounts and freeholds, I think there will be an in game option to do this with a possibly limited number of friends.

As usual, USE is right, this topic has been discussed several times.
  • Kitzi said:
    I really like the idea of NPC kids. That's something I don't think I've seen in another MMO. Roleplayers (including myself) will be ecstatic! These are all wonderful ideas and I think having marriage be something more than just a background thing would be very cool.

There have been a few threads on this over the last year here. Basically you probably won't ever see interactable npc children in an mmo, because people are perverted, cruel, and weird. Think of the outrage when the RP pedo tavern is exposed and IS has to do pr damage control for their own in-game pizzagate. I will leave this video montage of what some people did with the children of Skyrim.
    Well this is ridiculous as you would probably be limited to keeping them in game housing at best. Also this shit is tame compared to the shit I heard people has put in mods and yet Bethesda doesn't have a PR nightmare themselves. You are blowing this up way out of proportion, of shit I don't see happening ever.

@Granthor I don't see the point of adding kids for a in game married couple would contribute to the over all game. It sounds like it would be a waste of resources when the game has so much on it's plate and the next expansion. As for the other options I don't really care and see why it would be an issue putting the previous 2 in game like a bonus to exp or something that isn't pvp related.
    edited January 2018
    Tomoyuki said:
    Kitzi said:

Well this is ridiculous as you would probably be limited to keeping them in game housing at best. Also this shit is tame compared to the shit I heard people has put in mods and yet Bethesda doesn't have a PR nightmare themselves. You are blowing this up way out of proportion, of shit I don't see happening ever.

@Granthor I don't see the point of adding kids for a in game married couple would contribute to the over all game. It sounds like it would be a waste of resources when the game has so much on it's plate and the next expansion. As for the other options I don't really care and see why it would be an issue putting the previous 2 in game like a bonus to exp or something that isn't pvp related.

It's mainly just for looks at the freehold, and nothing more. Maybe the kids can do work for you at the stables, or entertain the guests. Noting sick like you seen with a Skyrim mod of course. I don't see this as an issue really, as we will have adult NPCs at the freehold, all I am saying is had a few kids if your married. Hust a small touch for people that jump the broom is all.
  • Marriage is great in games to offer small boons to the parties involved but I don't know about kids, it just seems weird to me.

Regarding shared bank accounts I think there should be A shared bank account and still have their private ones (like a bank account tied to your familiy name)
  • I like these ideas, it all adds to the realism and is optional for those that don't want to use the systems.
    edited January 2018
     I just want to state that I am single and am going to definitley try and play this game to the fullest.
  • I like the concept of marriage as like a mini-guild of sorts. Pool resources and easy communication with someone I trust and play with frequently. My husband and I usually make a guild that is just the two of us to share bank space and gold as much as the game allows, but if we could pool these things on our mains instead of having to make bank alts that would be so nice.
  • The wedding ceremony has to including a wedding toast using the blood of slain enemies.

Cheers and bottoms up!
  • Now that I think about it; I'd like to be able to go on a quest to find / earn an NPC bride and then, since player housing is going to be a thing. settle her into the house and start a family.  Create heirs that could later become legacy PCs.

Could be a tbing.......
  • Hell no are you are you kidding. I play games to live out my wildest dreams not attach a ball and chain.... !!! lol ....might as well throw in mortgages and a 9-5 job with annoying boss. ..(just kidding folks) 
  • "honey where is the wagon? I have to take these crops to market at the node before they go bad."

"don't you remember dear? you let tanar jr. borrow it to go visit my parents the next node over."

"but I need the wagon now! how am I supposed to sell our crops now? when is he supposed to get back."

"oh you know how my parents are. he'll be there for at least a sevenday."

"everthing will rot in seven days woman! call him back now."

"maybe you should have bought that second wagon last  season when I asked you to and you wouldn't have this problem." (mrs. tanar continues to calmly fold the laundry)

"but what am I supposed to do now?!?!?!"

"well since you're going to let our crops go bad you better go off with your friends and kill something we can sell to buy food for the winter since you've doomed us to starvation otherwise because of your poor planning dear."

<tanar starts muttering to himself about why he got married in the first place>

"what was that dear?"

"nothing honey" <Tanar trudges over to the closet where he keeps his adventuring gear>
  • Mozsta69 said:
    Hell no are you are you kidding. I play games to live out my wildest dreams not attach a ball and chain.... !!! lol ....might as well throw in mortgages and a 9-5 job with annoying boss. ..(just kidding folks) 
    I don't you are kidding haha 9 to 5 job less than minimal wages. Screaming kids and a family dog or two. 👍👍
  • I liked the wedding feature in other games but only with small advantages like a port to your spouse, a buff for the same group. One game offered a little couple pet which was adorable.

But please don't make such a big thing about it. A ceremony? Yeah why not. Invitations for friends? Ok can be funny. Too much features like the same house or something like that? Please no :cold_sweat:
  • Bonus stats for being a preggo, and having a wife or surrogate who is a preggo you get over protective bonus stats.  
  • @Granthor it’s always nice to have options. I like the idea of player marriage and/or business partnerships.  I think the spouse and children npcs could be cool if you have them only in your own home and perhaps dismiss those npcs if you wanted a change later. Or perhaps hiring npcs to help tend your home could fill that void such as guards, maids, and workers. 🤭
  • @Granthor Just to correct you for the record, I never brought up anything wild that "could" happen, that is mostly @UnknownSystemError making wild claims. Might have been confusion on the mention of even crazier shit that people put in mods.

But let me refine my previous post a bit more.I am more curious as to why the studio would  devote resources to it, as what would make it worth while other then rp flavor? I don't see how this is going to be worth while to spend a few weeks in comparison to their other concepts that they want to add to the core game. I can see them adding this later in expansions when they start to refine the game.
  • Tomoyuki said:
    @Granthor Just to correct you for the record, I never brought up anything wild that "could" happen, that is mostly @UnknownSystemError making wild claims. Might have been confusion on the mention of even crazier shit that people put in mods.

But let me refine my previous post a bit more.I am more curious as to why the studio would  devote resources to it, as what would make it worth while other then rp flavor? I don't see how this is going to be worth while to spend a few weeks in comparison to their other concepts that they want to add to the core game. I can see them adding this later in expansions when they start to refine the game.

Ok think of your freehold for a second. Just what will do there? How will your place your décor, and will it be open to the public? Those of us that will do INNS, well you want as much RP put into the game as there can be. So, if we will have marriage in the game, and it's supported by the DEV team. why not add a few little extras, to give it a little more meaning. True they have a ton of their plates now, but after everything is said and done, why not add this after the game has gone gold? I don't see the harm after all the betas are done, and we all are running around in the game world. Plus, not many players will be looking to get marriage right away, and no one will have a freehold on day 1. At least I don't think so. lol
  • @Granthor well I don't see why not adding it later in a expansion as I am unsure what else they could expand upon other then basic pve content and an expansion of the naval combat.  I was under the impression that they are already giving a lot of benefits for people that are going to be taking advantage of this feature post launch. Maybe I am misunderstanding, but it seems like there is a push for this to be in effect at launch, which is what I am in disagreement of because of priorities.
    edited February 2018
    I wonder can we marriage with NPCs? Or only with other players?
  • XianNi said:
    I wonder can we marriage with NPCs? Or only with other players?
    Since this isn't a single player game like skyrim and NPC's are accessible to everybody I dobut we could unless we had some player exclusive NPC's
  • I'd love in-game marriage and would love to see some meaningful bonuses to them.