Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

What are you going to do about WOW

Comments

• I am more than confident that AoC will not only offer a unique experience but a better one. We need to stop putting WoW on such a pedestal, it's constantly dumbed down it's content, and held the hands of its playerbase. It's ranked arena playerbase is the only demographic worth a damn, the rest are sheep.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited February 2018
    WoW always releases any new expansion in the later half of the year from September to December. Why any game that knew WoW had an expansion coming out that would compete with their game plan their release around that time periods is puzzeling.

A game company should always be mindfull of what games in their genre are doing as far as releases go. Movie companies do that. You don't release your indie film in the same time period as a blockbuster franchise movie.

BFA will come out in the latter part of this year and WoW most likely will not have another expansion for another two years after that. 2019 would be a good year to not worry about WoW.
  • As great as WoW once was, it's not great anymore.  Blizzard can continue to release whatever content they want -- they've lost too many people for good, like me.  AOC will not have to compete with WoW nor should it even try.  Let the people play WoW who want WoW and let all the rest play AOC.
    edited February 2018
    Personally I never likes WOW I tried to play it many times but not for me to over the top/cartoony for my liking I am more of  final fantasy fan.
    AOC will be the next level of mmorpg wow will not come close to it.  i have nothing against WOW but nothing last forever everthing get out and dies  and new things starts and be grater. 
    I also think these days there are so many bad games out. people getting bord of waiting  people who not a fan of mmorpg  or never played them  they will join and play AOC. This game is not just going to changed mmorpg but will change games as a whole and remember why pc rocks all over console.
  • WoW is the most successful MMO of all time, so of course it's going to be compared as AoC is in the same genre. Although very different approaches, AoC is sandbox, WoW is themepark, and as such WoW has always done things really well (raids, dungeons, lore and questlines). The problem with that, is that there is a definitive end with content, but it's easy to get into and meet folks that keep you coming back for the same ol' drizzle. Developers at Blizzard for WoW are wretched these days at involving their fanbase - and if it didn't have 15 years of history and even a darn movie, many would not put up with it.

AoC is a completely different game under the same genre, it will have no direct competition with WoW. If Intrepid continues to involve it's community at all levels of this game, I feel that it will continue to pull more adventurers from all walks of life into it's fold.
  • Arue said:
    WoW is the most successful MMO of all time, so of course it's going to be compared as AoC is in the same genre. Although very different approaches, AoC is sandbox, WoW is themepark, and as such WoW has always done things really well (raids, dungeons, lore and questlines). The problem with that, is that there is a definitive end with content, but it's easy to get into and meet folks that keep you coming back for the same ol' drizzle. Developers at Blizzard for WoW are wretched these days at involving their fanbase - and if it didn't have 15 years of history and even a darn movie, many would not put up with it.

AoC is a completely different game under the same genre, it will have no direct competition with WoW. If Intrepid continues to involve it's community at all levels of this game, I feel that it will continue to pull more adventurers from all walks of life into it's fold.
    Well said
  • WoW cannot interest me with an expansion.
    WoW 2.0? Maybe.
    maybe
  • "..."
    BFA will come out in the latter part of this year and WoW most likely will not have another expansion for another two years after that. 2019 would be a good year to not worry about WoW.
    While its true that after Battle For Azeroth, there wont be a new expansion for the next 2 years.
    They still can release their Vanilla/Classic WoW Server in 2019/2020
  • WoW still exists?  
     If Ashes produces the game  they have planned on developing and have promised to the gamers,  they won't have anything to worry about from any game. especially one like WoW.  
    Well said! Did anyone else read the title of this thread in a Sean Connery accent?
  • WoW is great and all but there is no arguing that it is slightly outdated in terms of it's features, there are still many hardcore fans who will most likely stay and continue playing but there are a lot of people looking for something new and fresh.
  • it should have been world of Warhammer but that never came to pass sadly 
  • Ah yeah I remember that warhammer mmo, it would've been nice :/
  • I stopped playing wow twice now.(vanilla player) and cd rom player from before it was online.Personally my favorite part of wow is : leveling up a character.I particularly enjoyed the quest to open the gates of AQ and the dungeon attunements. I LIKE the struggle and the sense of achievement I got when I was successful.My favorite quest was one that is no longer in the game. It took MONTHS. I am one of the few who got the end gear from the quest. http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Quest:Breastplate_of_the_Chromatic_Flight
    I still have it in my Inventory. I will never sell it or disenchant it.
  • The market for WoW and the market for Ashes aren't exactly the same, casuals for one won't come near ashes when they hear they can't have everything in the game in 1 week.
    Agree with you friend.  :)
  • What are you going to do about WOW

I'll stop using WOW and start saying AMAZING!

(•_•) / ( •_•)>⌐■-■ / (⌐■_■)
    edited February 2018
    little did we know but wow has been dead for years and every player is a necromancer

• Reading the initial post, all I can say is. I disagree. From SW:ToR to Wildstar and most in betweens:
    They all fucked themselves. They all had horrible, horrible practices in their games that turned people off and not even the Star Wars name could save it from going down.
    WoW was once amazing 9/10 material and I am sure that older MMO players will disagree and loath WOW for what it  did, but it opened a door to a realm people utterly enjoy.
    That's the base of every good game and as long as Ashes strives to reach that door I don't worry about it.
    It's true WoW Vanilla server has me intrigued and if I don't have to buy anything to play it aside from the sub, I will be there, reliving a world I loved dearly.
    Every perpetual game is a "threat" to Ashes, but as I and many before me said as long as Ashes does it's game justice there will be a good player base to play with us.

Make a good game, reap the rewards. It's that "simple".
  • Poisonz said:

What are you going to do about WOW

I'll stop using WOW and start saying AMAZING!

(•_•) / ( •_•)>⌐■-■ / (⌐■_■)

Or we could flip it right side up and just say MOM
  • The market for WoW and the market for Ashes aren't exactly the same, casuals for one won't come near ashes when they hear they can't have everything in the game in 1 week.

However, WoW will soon exist in 2 variations, one of them being vanilla reboot.

Many non-casuals gonna roll that one.
  • wow is no longer in a good place from what i can tell AOC is a different game
  • DevonMeep said:
    WoW was a great in its day and in some ways still is. The fact of the matter is its changed from original release and has slowly become a casuals game. Now I'm not saying that is a bad thing but its not what a lot of the people who played it at launch are looking for. Archeage is the closest I've seen to a great MMO in recent years but poor handling by Trion and a pay to win market destroyed any chances it had. AoC won't kill WoW. But it will give a home to those of us looking for a more in depth experience.

Its like im reading my own opinion :)
  • The amount of asinine comments in here about WoW being dead, having no player base, and being super easy and dumb is astounding. I don't mean to break up the circle jerk in here, but to ignore WoW or pretend it doesn't matter when developing an MMO is a deathblow before you even get started. I'm not going to sit here a rebuke every inaccurate comment made about the current state of WoW because that is a huge waste of time. I will however point out a few things that I believe AoC needs to do from my perspective to survive in a WoW dominated market. I've played WoW for about 13 years now, and I've played just over a dozen other MMOs throughout my gaming life, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

- First thing they need to do is make sure they don't slip into the same themepark leveling experience that WoW offers. There is a vacuum in the character focused sandbox MMO market and the sandbox experience can offer something completely different than anything WoW can offer. Hell, this is why I play on an SWG emu server and why I even started following this game.

- Second, community. One of the things that has kept successful MMOs alive through the years is the community. I'm not just talking about forums or even guilds, I'm talking about actual real-life friends and online friends. AoC HAS to have systems in place that let friends do content together, and it has to be flexible. There are many dead MMOs out there that have group content, but they still have dead communities. AoC has to find a way to let players of different levels, different power, and different levels of dedication play together. WoW has been getting better at this by letting zones scale to players, and by letting dungeons be ran by players of various levels. Other MMOs have done this better than WoW but it is ABSOLUTELY vital to AoC having the staying power that everyone here wants it to have.

- Third, the combat and PvE group content has to be engaging. Hate on WoW all you want, but Blizzard has the absolute best group PvE content ever made in any MMO. There are various difficulties for players of different skill levels, there are various sizes for the dungeon and raid content, and their boss mechanics are at the top of the industry. Other games have been good, but WoW has been great for a long time and the bar is raised. The combat in AoC is what worries me the most honestly. I know it isn't developed yet, but it is something that can easily break the game. WoW has great tab-target combat, TERA and Black Desert Online have great action combat, and Guild Wars 2 has a good hybrid system. Each has their own faults, BDO's boss mechanics and enemy AI is a joke for instance, but at least AoC knows the bar it has to reach.

- Next is character customization. This is the easiest content to make that pays off the most when it comes to keeping a player base playing. AoC is supposed to have pretty solid pre-creation character customization, and even though less is known about post-creation customization, it appears they are aware it needs to be a full featured system. I know I've personally played several MMOs well beyond my interest in them simply because of customization. There are droughts in my interest for content in WoW that ends up being filled by character customization pursuits.

- The final thing I'm going to bring up is the world building/lore. Blizzard succeeds because of the recognizability of its franchises and characters. SWTOR only exists thanks to the Star Wars license, because it is a horrible game outside of its license and story-telling. AoC is going to have a difficult time making a world full of characters and lore that people care about while maintaining its sandbox style. I believe they can pull it off, but it is still something to keep aware of. Right now the game looks gorgeous, but I honestly couldn't give a shit less about anything they've released lore-wise. They have a good opportunity to use the racial heirarchy and civilizations as a vehicle to deliver good plots, and they also have the questing system. I wish them luck because I know I've personally quit genuinely okay MMOs simply because I couldn't care enough about the world to log in and do anything.

Those are just my opinions, so take them with a grain of salt like I said. Anyone who honestly believes WoW is dead is completely ignorant to reality. AoC has soooo much potential to be the king of character focused sandbox MMOs and carve out its own space in the market, but it also has the potential to just be an average Tolkien fantasy grind that market completely ignores.

/discuss
  • The world needs a good end of days to happen to Azeroth. I played, you played we all played. Its played out. 
  • Continue to not play it.
  • Yeah, I'm not playing WoW 1.0 ever again.
  • WoW will most likely never die out. But it will continue to bleed Sub's. One of the only reasons why WoW is still top dog of the MMO genre is that there is no suitable competition. Stuff like BDO etc do not attract wow players due to it's P2W nature, same with other titles. I really feel Ashes can provide for that side of the MMO community that wants a Player run Sandbox game, not a theme park where you go from ride A-B-C
  • Those games were not as good as WoW as a whole. It isn't Blizzard killing these games with WoW. And, quite frankly the ones that can stand up to it are around. Like Final Fantasy IV.
    edited February 2018
    cflournoy said:

What is AOC going to do to prevent this from happening?

Nothing. It's a personally taste. You can't prevent anyone from his/her favorite game. We all can give AoC a try. Maybe we'll like it, maybe we don't like it and go back to our other games. 

But we won't find out if we don't give it a honest try .  

• I didn't think IS released anything lore related, except the characters will be returning to Ashes after a mass exodus, and the gods will be real. There's just not much there to care or not to care about.

As for the WoW fanatics, they will always go back to Wow. Who here hasn't returned to an old game just for that nostalgia?

Those that are hating on WoW, who cares? I tried to play it, not my style.

WoW will likely always have a player base until they kill the servers. Let's just hope Ashes goes the same route and isn't a WoW, BDO, SWTOR copy-cat.