Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Guild Size

I want to implore you to expand the guild size to at minimum 500 / or have no limit at all. I belong to a very large guild..if they don't chapter there, I won't be playing. And I was a supporter on Kickstart for you

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    Welcome, @Maxina, to the forums. As far as I know, no maximum guild size has been specified yet. I've heard that guild size will depend about how the guild is managed. Resources can be invested on the guild, so you can decide to have a larger guild rather than other bonuses. But again, these are very preliminary information, so everything can eventually change during development.

I invite you to join the forums, I'm sure you will find a lot of interesting facts here. Also, feel free to ask if you have any questions: we'll try to answer as best as we can.
    Maxina said:
    if they don't chapter there, I won't be playing. 
    And I was a supporter on Kickstart for you
    A lot of us were, don't forget. Many people invested money and faith into this project, and we all hope to see the game to materialize exactly as we hope. This cannot happen, obviously. I'm sure that Intrepid will try to find the best compromise to make a great game without disappoint anyone: anyway, I hope you will join this community with a very open minded attitude, understanding the complexity of such a big project.
  •  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UIqmWTGZ2k

23:28

closest thing to an answer on this at this time.
  • Maxina said:
    I want to implore you to expand the guild size to at minimum 500 / or have no limit at all. I belong to a very large guild..if they don't chapter there, I won't be playing. And I was a supporter on Kickstart for you
    While it is nice to make suggestions, demanding things due to being a backer is not the way to go.
  • Not this again.  :/

• Welcome @Maxina. I hear you! You are not alone in your wish for an inclusive world that does not stifle large social guilds. Intrepid have spoken of ways to penalise large guilds in terms of combat so as to help maintain game balance. Nothing much as been announced yet, so we wait in anticipation of more information.

There is a livestream coming up today/tomorrow (depending on your timezone). We should be able to learn some more tidbits about this wonderful game. Not sure if they will cover this particular question, so make sure you add it or vote for it in the Q&A section :)

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/33585/official-livestream-q-a-question-thread-june-30-2017
  • say limit would be 100, would that deter you from playing, or would you find a way around it? like making 5 allied guilds to accomodate all your members?
    edited June 2017
    God, just Noe. All I'm going to say is Noe. N. O. E. Noe. For the love of ashes and all that is creation, Noe.
  • If this game's PVP becomes another garbage zerg-fest, I'm probably going to cry. 
    edited June 2017
    guild size should reaally say around 200-300. preferably around 200. but id be ok with 300. i think intrepid idea of a good guild size is spot on already
  • Karthos said:
    If this game's PVP becomes another garbage zerg-fest, I'm probably going to cry. 
  • Karthos said:
    If this game's PVP becomes another garbage zerg-fest, I'm probably going to cry. 

This
  • Karthos said:

This
    You both assume Guilds are why Zergs exist. Simply No. Zergs exist because people flock to numbers. There is safety in numbers. If you run solo you get run over by another group. If you run in a group you get run over by a zerg. The zerg offers casual players the ability to experience combat without being facerolled in the first second. You can make a game with NO guilds and you will still have zergs. This is human behavior not a game mechanic. 
  • Maybe they have gotten more information and changed their opinions in the last 8 months? Will have to ask @Karthos and @Xombie
    edited February 2018
    If this game allows mega-guilds of over 500 members, I'm going to puke. Please don't make this a blob zerg fest. The game allows for alliances, so there's no problem in having a larger alliance. 

200 as max is nice. Makes the communities in the guild tighter, and then you won't invite everyone you see to zerg up. 
  • Hmm maybe get your truest friend/admin to build 2 or 3 guild and build a family  alliance 
    edited February 2018
    foghladha said:
    Karthos said:

This
    You both assume Guilds are why Zergs exist. Simply No. Zergs exist because people flock to numbers. There is safety in numbers. If you run solo you get run over by another group. If you run in a group you get run over by a zerg. The zerg offers casual players the ability to experience combat without being facerolled in the first second. You can make a game with NO guilds and you will still have zergs. This is human behavior not a game mechanic. 
    You assume alot. And incorrectly. 

First, where do I say "guilds cause zergs!" ? I see where you could assume I said this, but that's simply not the case.

Secondly, I agree with you. A Zerg forms because people naturally group up. There is strength in numbers, but i feel it's true only if you can't get strength from skill an/or organization. Let me play devil's advocate for a bit.

Using that same logic, wouldn't it be reasonable that it's human nature for these same people who join Zergs, to also join guilds that Zerg? Just like how a RPer is probably going to not join the hardcore troll guild, he's going to find a guild that matches his desires.

Safety in numbers as you state, would ensure that a person less geared towards or capable of 1v1 combat would gravitate towards a group to get an edge. 

Of course "guilds" themselves don't cause Zergs, that's absurd. But the people in them sure can. And enabling a guild to employ this tactic ensures it will be used. 

As for "casual players expirencing combat" I find that incredibly hypocritical. They are doing to others what they are wanting to avoid happening to them by joining the zerg. Facerolling with a large group. 

And what combat? Half the time you don't even get a hit in. A zergling is like the guy in the group project who just put his name on the title page but spent the whole time watching YouTube while you worked.

• If they cap guild size at 300, there is no possible way more people than that can ever coordinate with each other...ever. There are no possible ways to overcome that cap with voice chats and/or guild websites.

It is a foolproof plan to stop large guilds and zergs.

That was sarcasm.
    edited February 2018
    nscheffel said:
    If they cap guild size at 300, there is no possible way more people than that can ever coordinate with each other...ever. There are no possible ways to overcome that cap with voice chats and/or guild websites.

It is a foolproof plan to stop large guilds and zergs.

That was sarcasm.
    I say this with love, but I read all your posts as if they are sarcastic because otherwise they just sound whiney. I don't think you intend that, but it's how it comes off.
  • So, because 500 of your closest besties can't play the game together you won't play?
    To me that seems to be a problem you and your guild has, not IS.

What's wrong with multiple 300 player guilds allied together working on the same node?

As for the zerging thing, sure guilds are not the only cause of a zerg, they're just the best way to coordinate one.

For the peeps that believe they can stay 100% organized in groups of 500+ that's awesome. There are obviously games where you have done this, so why does IS have to fall in line with all of those other games?
  • Karthos said:
    foghladha said:
    Karthos said:

This
    You assume alot. And incorrectly. 

First, where do I say "guilds cause zergs!" ? I see where you could assume I said this, but that's simply not the case.

Secondly, I agree with you. A Zerg forms because people naturally group up. There is strength in numbers, but i feel it's true only if you can't get strength from skill an/or organization. Let me play devil's advocate for a bit.

Using that same logic, wouldn't it be reasonable that it's human nature for these same people who join Zergs, to also join guilds that Zerg? Just like how a RPer is probably going to not join the hardcore troll guild, he's going to find a guild that matches his desires.

Safety in numbers as you state, would ensure that a person less geared towards or capable of 1v1 combat would gravitate towards a group to get an edge. 

Of course "guilds" themselves don't cause Zergs, that's absurd. But the people in them sure can. And enabling a guild to employ this tactic ensures it will be used. 

As for "casual players expirencing combat" I find that incredibly hypocritical. They are doing to others what they are wanting to avoid happening to them by joining the zerg. Facerolling with a large group. 

And what combat? Half the time you don't even get a hit in. A zergling is like the guy in the group project who just put his name on the title page but spent the whole time watching YouTube while you worked.

This. I could write a similar wall of text and dismantle your stance and assumptions, but Karthos did a well enough job. E for effort.