Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Arena Rewards

Here are some of the things I would like see from rated pvp.

Well a win in an arena should give a certain amount of gold.  Maybe not a lot but there should be some reward for winning maybe even crafting materials.

Would like there to be titles associated with rating. Most games have some titles just at very high rating but would like to see some titles for meduim rated people to.  That way players will have less distance between rewards.  Or rewarding rating as rating progressives to keep player going. Be pretty cool if there was a tabard associated with each title. 

Would like to see two or three Arena PVP mounts ( could have a few World Pvp mounts too)
That would get unlocked at certain ratings.  Not just one at the very highest rating.

Would like to see cosmetic rewards.  For example When you win an arena then you have a chance to get something from that loot table.  And as you go and progress in rating then maybe new loot table becomes avaible. Could be based on a point system with some in game currency and then you go and buy them. Like getting a certain cosmetic look for your sword or shield that is only part of a pvp loot table.

Would not be PVP gear per say just cosmetic looks and this would give people an incentive to do arenas.

Comments

• Agreed there needs to be seasons and ladders, or pvp will just be open world gank fest. World pvp is fun but having the mini game of arena with rewards as titles and the like adds a certain culture to the game that is beneficial.
  • Titles and cosmetics are the only rewards I want to see from arena. Getting gold or other economically significant rewards will just open the system up to abuse. A simple example is the two highest rated 1v1 players queue up in the middle of the night when no one else is on and win trade for several hours making a bunch money for zero effort; this can be made worse if botting isn't properly addressed. Win trading is still and always has been an issue in MMO arena systems and no one should expect otherwise here.

To add to the cosmetic rewards thing. I think that any cosmetic rewards gained from competitive parts of the game, like arenas, should be exclusive to being gained only from those sources. They should not be cash-shop purchasable or gained from some extensive, mundane grind as it detracts from the value of the competitive achievements they are associated with.
  • From an economic perceptive you can't just award coin or loot simply for participating. It would only serve to create inflation as the created value comes from nothing.

That being said perhaps a system where when you participate in PvP you have the option of putting up (x) gold or loot (that is then referenced from the local market for value) and then the winner of the area or the bracket get to take the pool. Perhaps it is separated so that the finalists and semi-finalists take various cuts based on their final rankings.

In this way you could either PvP in the arena for fun/practice (no rewards) or "put it all on the line" and fight a round robin series of fights to gain the loot. There could even be different levels of coin so the tier 1 has you only put up 10g to fight but tier 3 might have you put up 100g-1000g thus dramatically increasing the value of your winnings. This could also create an option for betting on the events that could create an internal eSport of PvP if not an external one.
  • Player controlled wagering on matches was addressed in an earlier livestream, as was other types of betting beyond minor stuff outside of the parlor games planned and was rejected. We will have to wait and see what they come up with, but the only rewards most likely planned will be cosmetic. Any time you have people in control of outcomes, they find a way to exploit it. Will most likely tie into whatever system they have planned to stop people from throwing arena matches in military nodes to boost their candidate in the rankings to guarantee that their guy gets elected. This won't stop you from placing a bet with the other person via Discord or some other way, just don't expect to see an in-game mechanic that facilitates it.
  • Pureos said:
    Titles and cosmetics are the only rewards I want to see from arena. Getting gold or other economically significant rewards will just open the system up to abuse. A simple example is the two highest rated 1v1 players queue up in the middle of the night when no one else is on and win trade for several hours making a bunch money for zero effort; this can be made worse if botting isn't properly addressed. Win trading is still and always has been an issue in MMO arena systems and no one should expect otherwise here.

To add to the cosmetic rewards thing. I think that any cosmetic rewards gained from competitive parts of the game, like arenas, should be exclusive to being gained only from those sources. They should not be cash-shop purchasable or gained from some extensive, mundane grind as it detracts from the value of the competitive achievements they are associated with.
    Win trade can easily be countered by having penalties for losing. Say winning earns you 1 gold and losing loses 1 gold. This makes arena participation solely based on a players confidence and in my opinion makes the game more exciting. This way you can have a Colosseum like system where winning earns titles and gold while losing makes you lose the same gold and losing excessively results in a loss of your title. This way if theres 1 super good guy winning a ton, there becomes this artificial concept of "dethroning the reigning champion(s)" (possibly a dethrone title?) and viewers can place bets and such. But in my preference money shouldnt be a reward. Unless the participators can bet on themselves but that could easily be exploited through win trade i guess.