Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

How Long should Node progression take. Opinions

hit the wrong keyand psoted this a bit too soon. 

how long do we think each level should take for a node.

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited February 2018
    Each stage is going to take different amounts of time:
    Expedition           Few Hours
    Encampment      Many Hours
    Village                    Few Days
    Town                        Many Days
    City                          Few Weeks
    Metropolis           Many Weeks
  • seems i may have slacked off and missed some info before making my post.
    edited February 2018
    And don't forget it will take months to delevel a node back to a much lower level once it has developed. Attack a metro that is blocking you, take it down to level 5, and then you still have to wait 10x the declaration period to bring it down further. This of course only applies if a successful node siege only delevels the node a single level and not multiple, which we are still waiting on clarification of. There is a quote out there that has it as 2 days for level 3, 3 days for level 4, 4 days for level 5, and 5 days for level 6.
    Another one that says certain npcs will not be available after a successful node siege, but others would be, implying that the node is not completely destroyed.

• The longer and more challenging it is to develop your node.and change the world landscape, the better.
  • To go from 5 to 6 I would like it to be several months. To go from 0 to 3 maybe a month or two.
    edited February 2018
    Dygz said:
    I believe this is as accurate as it can be for the time range it takes for different nodes to rank up at the moment. I remember in an Intrepid Studios interview it was mentioned that it would take at least a few days for a node to rank up to village (not sure about anything higher than that but it'd make sense). Of course that'll depend on player participation in the node. I don't have any complaints about that range right now.
  • I would have had an hysteresis loop where the middle level is the norm the game is balanced to.
    The further above the norm you go, the harder it becomes to maintain it and impossible at the top of of the highest tier, with ever more extreme world enders invading your space.
    The further below the norm you are, the easier it becomes and the more placid the PvE world is toward you.
    Metropolis should be more technically advanced and their playerbase more skilled to face the harder challenge.

That ensures the the really powerful guilds who get greedy have overwhelming environmental challenges where those with a mediocre life of contentment don't have the same degree of environmental threat. Such nodes have less to worry about when mounting an offensive on a metropolis. The metropolis would have a plethora of worries without any sieges.
    edited February 2018
    In principle, I like dynamic type of play, this means, faster node leveling, but also faster node deleveling.

I like active changes that are quickly visible, this is why I hope leveling (and deleveling) a node will NOT be an extremely long term thing, cause it will make game more dull than it should be.

I would also like sieges to happen more often. I want some PvP, and not PvE game with only occasional PvP that happens rarely.

Perhaps military type of node could have reduced siege times, not only to get sieged, but also to declare sieges on other nodes in shorter intervals.
  • Ashes is not a PvP game.
  • Dygz said:
    Ashes is not a PvP game.

Most mmo's are neither pvp nor pve they have both, regarding the topic at hand I'm pretty sure that nodes develop along with player activity inside the node, so the speed at which a node reaches a certain level will depend on the amount of people and time they spend playing that particular node.
    edited February 2018
    Most MMOs are PvP-optional.
    Eve Online is PvP-centric.
  • What I'm saying is that this game from what we actually know has both pvp and pve content to a high degree, even a military node has (or is planned to have) leadership decided by combat between players, anyway this isn't a topic that should be discussed here either way :3
  • I would consider the title rather "PvP-centric" considering how much world PvP events such as node sieges, castles, and caravan raiding seem to play a very integral role in the game, not to mention arena and Military nodes. PvP will be a primary focus of node development and the game itself, not THE primary focus but it is certainly a pillar of the project.
  • What I'm saying is that this game from what we actually know has both pvp and pve content to a high degree, even a military node has (or is planned to have) leadership decided by combat between players, anyway this isn't a topic that should be discussed here either way :3
    Right. But, Gothix is saying he wants Ashes to be more PvP - sieges to happen more often, etc.
    Ashes is a PvX game; not a PvP game.
    I think we agree.
    <3

• Dygz said:

Yeah it won't be a flat line.  X will be squared.