Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

So you want to stop RMT? Well here is how you do it.

Personally I don't mind players selling items or coin because they earned it legitimately in-game thru expended effort. It is far more offensive when developers sell advantages in cash shops which required no effort to earn in the game world and are introduced into the economy from thin air.

Having said that, if you want to stop RMT then code the following:

Don't allow PCs the ability to drop anything. PCs can only trade or destroy items and coin to remove them from their possession. Of course they can store items and coin in a bank etc. which only they have access to.

Assign a coin value to every item in-game, then only allow trading within a 10% margin below or above the trade value. Now it will be impossible to gift items or coin whether it be for RMT or otherwise. This will prohibit blatant twinking as well, forcing the twinkie to be present in order to loot the item, which is what is desirable.
Gifting in general is also undesirable as it does not instill value of effort and respect for the game world so removing all gifting is a good thing. Too bad if you can't give stuff away to your guildies, friends, family members, etc. Let them tag along with you when you loot as they should.

Quest items would either need to be coded at zero value so you can gift them to the quest item receiver or tag them as only being able to be given to that specific NPC. The latter is preferable as rare, hard to earn quest items can be valuable.

Comments

• So you want to remove the concept of charity from the game? Is it because you are a hardcore trader and find its existance abominable ?
    Let me think for a quantum....No.
    ;)
  • Your subjective view of charity is denying someone the ability to earn their way and appreciate the game as it is intended.
  • I don't think there is any point in much of this, games all have their shortcomings and systems that are easy to exploit and if all of them were removed the game would be feel so systematic and artificial that it would put off some people from playing.

Take for example gifting, I want to give something to a friend or whatever but no I can't, why ? cause the game won't allow me to but in reality I can take 1 million euro and throw in the middle of a street... your idea is great from a game perspecitve but not so good from a immersive perspective.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited March 2018
    I think it's actually more realistic and thus immersive to rescind gifting. Most people in real life don't gift valuable items and coin.
    This would also encourage cooperation between players to participate in earning drops and coin which is after all the point of a MMO.
  • Jorev said:
    I think it's actually more realistic and thus immersive to rescind gifting. Most people in real life don't gift valuable items and coin.
    This would also encourage cooperation between players to participate in earning drops and coin which is after all the point of a MMO.

No ...the point of an MMO game is to interact with other people. You are projecting a personal preference on how that should be implemented.
  • You basically, with this thread, have demonstrated that you do not understand anything about economics.  Anything about a player driven economy.

And as far as this:

I give away tens of thousands of dollars every year to people.  From handing a homeless veteran a $100 bill, to giving scholarships to local high school kids, to making large donations to the NICU at the hospital that saved my daughters life to help offset other less fortunate families pay their medical bills.  I'm not sure what world you are living in, but there is charity all around you.

In fact, it happens so often there is a word for it.   Its called being a philanthropist.

and when you say this

earn their way and appreciate the game as it is intended

Unless I'm mistaken, your name isn't in the list of people who are developing the game.  So, you have no ability to dictate how the game is intended.

You have opinions.  You are entitled to them.  

The game you describe would not be a player-driven economy.   And that's ok, not every game needs one.

...but this game.  This game they intend on having one.   
  • @Jahlon just don't forget that developers can change their opinions through development process too. So what you are saying, may not happen. You never know. :)
  • @Gothix quite right.

But there is a huge difference between Alpha testing where people can get in there and test it and balance things and realize "Hey Guys, this just doesn't work" and people saying how things should be before they've ever seen the game first hand.

Plus, when things are plain contrary to the stated intention (in this case towards a player based economy) than that's just people either 1) trolling or 2) wishlisting

• "I think it's actually more realistic and thus immersive to rescind gifting. Most people in real life don't gift valuable items and coin."

Xmas? Birthday? Damn I must not of gotten the memo, I could of saved myself a fortune over the years. I see what you are trying to fix but this is not the way to fix it. Besides, a twink in a video game is someone who stops leveling a toon so they can optimize said toon 100% for an activity related only to that level they stopped at. You are welcome.

• Jorev said:

Assign a coin value to every item in-game, then only allow trading within a 10% margin below or above the trade value. Now it will be impossible to gift items or coin whether it be for RMT or otherwise.
    Welcome to BDO, tried that, had RMT anyway and continues to do so because no one on the upper level cares. We had this topic so often here as well already and I still wonder why OP's like you begin those topics.
    I mean, all we need is a report function for spammers and a gm community that will investigate such reports. As addition you could implement a simple monitoring system that spots any crazy goldtrades without compensation. They will have to rely on a single account once spotted it's gone and every deposit is already marked and can be taken out of the economy. Easy, wow did it and in the 6 years I was there I may have gotten 6 spamwhispers about buy gold.
    Any other "solution" I have ever seen in any other game has done only one thing, inconviene the player. Nothing else. From any f2p mmo to GW2, BDO, Tera(alltho tera doesn't inconvien you at least) and so on all of them have pretty much daily spam and an ultimate solution such as yours that fuck with people.

Your little "ultimate easy solution in 2 steps" doesn't work. Not only does it not work, it ruins the natural economy of the game presented to us which will have a lot of supply and demand fluctuations. limited resources and circles of fertility to grow different crops/find herbs would ruin any big trade play one would try.
    So what if you can only trade in a 10% margin? Your loved china farmers will just stack up on a thing and trade it back and fort. 10% margin up and down is a total span of 20% so every time they circle through with a trade they get 20% difference.
    May be annoying for them, but does that stop them? LOL, BDO doesn't stop them with not being able to trade at all and only being able to buy the lowest priced item in any given category.
    I needed 10seconds to see the flaw in your amazing solution..that will show them rmts...
  • @Grisu The OP lasted a whole 3 days on forums. Came in, raged, posted a goodbye post that had to be deleted and hasn't been seen since.
  • Yeah but since you so nonchalantly brought it back to the top for some reason I used it as an opportunity to maybe shut the idea down from someone else who thought it would be a good idea to do this again without thinking it through.