Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Random skills from other classes or Mob skills

I would like random skills to be given to players who later disappear when you die in the game, so you never know in pvp which skill set an opponent has, so each player can be unique. These skills can be dropped by mobs. in the form of recipes so that you also have to make an effort to obtain them, the recipe will disappear once you have made the skill and can only be used once until the player finds the recipe again. This gives an extra boost to go on an adventure to get resources to obtain this and gives an extra boost in pvp fights.

Remember that these skills are temporarily made  and when you die they are gone!!

And as an extra addition as I have seen before in the forum is that if a random high lvl mobs spawn in the world so that surviving with these skills gives an extra incentive to work together, of course you lose them also in a pvp fight.

I also want to mention that these can not be sold in any way, this is an extra reward you have earned for the game to play, and surviving again is also an important factor!!

Comments

• You failed to provide an answer to several important questions. Some of them being:

- can a player learn more than 1 temporary skill
    - if yes, what happens if mobs drops another one, is the player prevented from learning the new one up or can he chose between the two and keep the one he wants
    - can he keep the old temporary skill that he already has, and keep the freshly dropped recipe in bag, then when he dies and looses the old one he can learn the new one, or do unlearned recipes also dissappear from players bag when he dies
    - would these skills use up focus
    - would it be affected by subclass or race selection
    - would there be a minimum level when player can learn them
    - what should IS do if players start crying because these skills benefit certain classes (because of their construction) over other classes, should IS balance the spells in this case, or balance the classes to fit the spells better

Many other questions and issues pop to mind, but these few will do for now. :)
    In my opinion non-class assigned skills mean developer nightmare and could cause more trouble then they'd be worth.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited March 2018
    I skills are balanced internally in a stand alone way with penalties to go with benefits, then I wouldnt see a problem with temporarily borrowed skills.
    But I dont think Intrepid have stand alone skills systems in mind or they wouldnt have had 8(x8) classes to begin with.
  • Gothix said:
    You failed to provide an answer to several important questions. Some of them being:
    => i try to answer ;-)

- can a player learn more than 1 temporary skill
    => Yea they can have more than 1! The amount can be lvl based like every 10 lvl's you get an extra slot so 10 if lvl 100 is reached

- if yes, what happens if mobs drops another one, is the player prevented from learning the new one up or can he chose between the two and keep the one he wants
    => He can chose between the two and keep the one he wants. the other skill will be removed until he finds the recepi again and disides to relearn it. 
    The new recipe automatically goes into your backpack, you do not have to learn it immediately you can learn it, but then you lose your current temporary skill if you do not have a temporary slot open. Dont forget you have to have all the ingrediants as well to learn it again! its not just finding the recipes and learning it imediatly

- can he keep the old temporary skill that he already has, and keep the freshly dropped recipe in bag, then when he dies and looses the old one he can learn the new one, or do unlearned recipes also dissappear from players bag when he dies
    => The recipes will dissappear from the bag but not the bank or chest storage, do not forget that you also need all the ingredients to make the recipe, it's not just clicks and yes I have an extra skill to choose from, you also have to have all the necessary things to make the skill. so it is really a challenge to gather all the ingredients together

- would these skills use up focus.
    => All the skills available in the game are available, if you are going to learn a skill that uses a different source of energy than your character normally has, an extra energy indicator will become available under his portrait. so all the skills that use focus will also use this when they need it

- would it be affected by subclass or race selection
    => No, this has no effect at all

- would there be a minimum level when player can learn them
    => these skills use the same level that they are taught at their original fixed class. so of course the level must be reached to learn this skill. monster skills will be fixed at the average level that they have in the world

- what should IS do if players start crying because these skills benefit certain classes (because of their construction) over other classes, should IS balance the spells in this case, or balance the classes to fit the spells better
    => All the skills you learn in this way are all at the lowest level as you learn the skill, to level it you need an extra recipe of the same skill to upgrade it (each upgrade lets the level rise by 2 points)
     , and to be honest the drop rate will very but also very low so the chance that you can get two of the same recipe is very small. Of course you can store all your recipes in your chest or bank and learn afterwards but certainly not in your bag because if you die you lose them, and again the recipes also cost a lot of resources. It is quite hardcore to get a decent level and to be able to keep it. also do not forget that you can not sell or trade the recipes

==>If I look at it like this it is quite difficult to even try to achieve this, of course you can keep playing until you are max level and then learn everything so that you have reached a reasonable level of the particular skill (so the number of resept in your bank or chest), it gives an extra incentive to keep playing and to go on an adventure to get the resources together and then to traverse the entire world map to find them. the resouces you need will have to be filled in by Intreped studios if this idea catches on course.

Many other questions and issues pop to mind, but these few will do for now. :)
    In my opinion non-class assigned skills mean developer nightmare and could cause more trouble then they'd be worth.
    =>You can of course also think of something that has to do with it, I just want that there is also an extra that makes you go around the world. I like going on an adventure and an extra skill can give benefits depends on what skill it is of course it can also be a solid skill that can not be leveled, a weak healing spell or something or a stun spell, it's a bonus

P.S. i try to explain it all but it takes allot of time to write it i am not english ;-), i will correct it if somting isnt clearly explained

• TBH I would find appealing collecting extra spells, and then players could trade them between each other like trading cards. ;)

The limitation would be however that you can not trade this spell cards for gold or resources or anything else beside other spell cards, and only 1 for 1.

Collection certain "spell collection" could give you some bonus when casting these spells that belong to collection.
  • yea trading could be possible that way, nice!!
    realy good idea Gothix ;-)
  • Gothix said:
    TBH I would find appealing collecting extra spells, and then players could trade them between each other like trading cards. ;)

The limitation would be however that you can not trade this spell cards for gold or resources or anything else beside other spell cards, and only 1 for 1.

Collection certain "spell collection" could give you some bonus when casting these spells that belong to collection.
    You mean using spell set bonuses like some games use armour set bonuses ?
  • Yeah but only for those spells, not for all your spells.

For example if you collect temporary spells A,B,C,D,E, and those exact spells form a "collection", you can get a bonus on casting those spells.

After player collects a spell recipe (recipe would be bound), and other mats, and crafting this, the result of the crafting would be a "spell trading card".

This card would also be bound but would be tradeable for other cards via special card trading interface, and only 1 card for 1 card (to prevent gold trading "i trade you 5 cards for 1 and you give me X gold in addition after).

Using a card would consume it and add a spell to your temporary spell book. If you have particular spell collection in your spell book, you would also have a bonus.
  • So crafting experience lets you knock out a manual and you can trade those manuals for others to learn. Books become the currency of the learned.

And should there be a limit on how many temp skills you can hold at one time. Would limited capacity add or detract.