Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

My Issue With Monster Coins

So, there’s something that’s bugged me for a while, ever since I saw the first video on monster coins, and the way there were implemented.

When I first saw it, I felt as though the “Intention” behind its existence is to allow the player to launch an attack or provide a public event for other players to engage in, and challenge other players with a challenging experience only a real player could provide that would be much harder than any AI.

I thought, well that’s interesting, and saw the coin system as a very early and temporary implementation of that intention, and that it’s just easier to have an item you click to turn into a monster for testing purposes.

I don’t know if it was just me, but in the final product of the game I don’t know if I like the idea of there being an item in the game that turns a player into a monster at any point they want to.

What I expected the final game releases implementation of this would have been certain daily events that might occur via certain triggers that players could participate and lead to some sort of event or ritual, a process in which a player is turned into the monster and then leads players into another event.

I just wanted to share because, I think this has been one of my personal biggest gripes they way this was implemented.

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited March 2018
    http://www.aocwiki.net/Monster_Coins

My understanding is you can't use it at any times and they kind of work the way you want. Players do not initiate these events, they will start themselves, and the coins allow players to participate in the event as one of the monsters. The monsters that are in the event are all preset. You can't just role up to one of these events and randomly spawn as whatever you want. 
  • Aah, I’ve garnered enough information to understand the system.

It’ll be quite common to play as a monster in server spawned events in other nodes so you can basically attack other nodes, and only acts as a ticket to take control of an existing monster in an already in progress event.

Its less of a rare active item and more so a ticket to let you play a monster against players to earn cosmetics.
  • Yes. Correct. You are basically acting as surrogate for a PvE event and paying fo the privilege. You get to be a god for a while. The game gets the equivalent of high quality adaptive AI in a boss event. Everyones happy and it fills intrepids coffers at the same.

• As far as I'm aware you can't become a monster any time you want, but take over a monster during an event, higher ranked coins allow you to take over higher ranked monsters.
  • nice idea. lets hope that none will use this system to easily win an event (a guilde member control the monster and let himself be slaughter for the guild)
  • @RiverBird @McStackerson shared one wiki link, here is another https://wiki.ashesofcommunity.com/wiki/Monster_coins

The wikis have collected a great deal of information on the monster coin system. In particular how they are server created events that players with coins can participate in. You will see from the information that there are several restrictions put in place to ensure that the monster coin system can't be used for griefing. 
  • As far as I'm aware you can't become a monster any time you want, but take over a monster during an event, higher ranked coins allow you to take over higher ranked monsters.
    Not from my understanding.

Based on the wiki info and the stream it sounds like the node progression will trigger the event and players can then use a monster coin to be the monster. I'm not sure if it's a first come first serve or there's a random selection of all the people who "signed up" to be the monster.

There are also restrictions on when these events can take place such as before a seige.

You can't just stroll into a node and pop your coin and go nuts anytime you want. 
  • Karthos said:
    As far as I'm aware you can't become a monster any time you want, but take over a monster during an event, higher ranked coins allow you to take over higher ranked monsters.
    Not from my understanding.

Based on the wiki info and the stream it sounds like the node progression will trigger the event and players can then use a monster coin to be the monster. I'm not sure if it's a first come first serve or there's a random selection of all the people who "signed up" to be the monster.

There are also restrictions on when these events can take place such as before a seige.

You can't just stroll into a node and pop your coin and go nuts anytime you want. 
    My mistake thanks for clearing that up :)
  • I can't find the source now, but iirc there was a queue system when first player in queue is offered to take control of the monster when event starts, and if he is not online at the time or he refuses, the next player in queue is offered, and so on until one player accepts and takes control.