Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Should Ashes of Creation include vulgar emotes?

Emotes such as spitting, swearing at someone, showing middle finger, ability to kick someones corpse and stuff like that. You get the picture. Vote away!

Comments

• Do we know what rating the developers intend to aim for?

One thing to note is that there would need to be some constraint based on the countries they intend to release in. I am specifically, solely and directly looking at Australia and their arse-backwards classification laws and ultra-conservative legislation in an otherwise liberal country (not specifically talking left/right politics here, as liberal/left are not necessarily the same thing).

I would personally like to see a full range of emotions captured, but I can see reasons for them to tone it back a bit.
  • I'll stick to the classics like clapping or digging after I've out played a group 1vX
  • You mean you want teabagging and such ?

• Sure I think that they would spice up the gameplay quite a bit, no need for anything excessive though :3
  • You mean you want teabagging and such ?

Well, I want "something" to spice up the "conflict". How much we will get will depend on how much Intrepid is comfortable with. But some "insulting" emotes would be nice to have. Verra will not be a harmonious world. ;)
  • Seems like only the RP's would care, as anyone else provoked by an avatars 'gestures' is trying too hard. Again, seems like there is no option to vote no so again I won't vote.

I am down with rude gestures to a degree. My fear would be everyone in town is going to be doing the 'teabag' emote or showing middle fingers because it's edgy. I have the same concern about jumping and a few other things though, and I can't blame IS for asinine player behavior.

Also, I thought their target rating is E. If not, I fully believe the emotes (and everything else) should be geared toward their rating.
  • In my Ashes universe you all are just....
    Image result for starship troopers more meat for the grinder meme
    Image result for starship trooper citizen meme
  • I am all for it but I don't think they should hinder themselves. The goal is to appeal to as many demographics as possible without compromising the games integrity.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited March 2018
    @Azathoth

"No" is the first option in the list. ;) Check better.

"100% pure OF evil" and not "pure evil".
    edited March 2018
    Xombie said:
    I am all for it but I don't think they should hinder themselves. The goal is to appeal to as many demographics as possible without compromising the games integrity.

In that case there should not be killing also? And not only human. Killing of animals too.

Slaughtering people and animals is much worse than few swears, don't you think?

So if rating sustains slaughtering humans and animals, it sustains swearing as well, it also sustains kicking the corpse.

If you can hit alive human with a sword, I don't see why wouldn't you be able to kick dead human with a foot.
  • As one who taunts after every kill in TF2, bring in all the triggering taunts/emojis.
  • Gothix said:
    Xombie said:
    I am all for it but I don't think they should hinder themselves. The goal is to appeal to as many demographics as possible without compromising the games integrity.

In that case there should not be killing also? And not only human. Killing of animals too.

So if rating sustains slaughtering humans and animals, it sustains swearing as well, it also sustains kicking the corpse.

If you can hit alive human with a sword, I don't see why wouldn't you be able to kick dead human with a foot.
    Unfortunately the ESRP doesn't feel the same way. I'm not saying I am opposed to the idea or that it is morally worse than digital combat/murder, I'm merely stating that from a business standpoint it is in their best interest to pander to a rating that co ers a larger demographic to then in turn garner more sales and subscriptions.

Again, I like being a dickhead and taunting from time to time, but I won't be upset and I'll understand of it doesn't make an appearance in AoC.
  • Xombie said:
    Gothix said:
    Xombie said:

Unfortunately the ESRP doesn't feel the same way. I'm not saying I am opposed to the idea or that it is morally worse than digital combat/murder, I'm merely stating that from a business standpoint it is in their best interest to pander to a rating that co ers a larger demographic to then in turn garner more sales and subscriptions.

Again, I like being a dickhead and taunting from time to time, but I won't be upset and I'll understand of it doesn't make an appearance in AoC.
    COME ON GUYS! Let's just be honest here, if the game exists people will find a way to taunt others in it, Halo and CoD all the way back on OG XBOX with T-baggin people
  • I'd stick to the idea, that using "normal" emotes in order to make one feel insulted, is the best way of procedure o:)
  • whatever. it's freedom of speech
  • Xombie said:
    Gothix said:
    Xombie said:

COME ON GUYS! Let's just be honest here, if the game exists people will find a way to taunt others in it, Halo and CoD all the way back on OG XBOX with T-baggin people
    As I initially stated, I'll likely stick to the classics like a clapping emote or a shovel digging.
  • We need this to be an action emote.
    Image result for dog scooting butt gif
  • Dont mind either way. They maybe appropriate for the role. But if the ratings block it then so be it.
  • I don't really care about emotes while you do you're emotes I will be ganking you and taking you're stuff so kek
    edited March 2018
    I don't care either because I don't use these things. I prefer a sarcastic or ironic sentence for my enemy more than a strange moving character. 
  • I usually just outplay my opponent and move on, but I certainly see the appeal in a theatrics.
  • It's fun to kick someones corpse after you've killed him.
  • I chose no. All mmos have mostly had some taunt emotes. No need to go further
  • Namai said:
    Do we know what rating the developers intend to aim for?

One thing to note is that there would need to be some constraint based on the countries they intend to release in. I am specifically, solely and directly looking at Australia and their arse-backwards classification laws and ultra-conservative legislation in an otherwise liberal country (not specifically talking left/right politics here, as liberal/left are not necessarily the same thing).

I would personally like to see a full range of emotions captured, but I can see reasons for them to tone it back a bit.
    As I am from Australia, I feel that I am obliged to tell you that you really don't know anything. 

That being said, on to the main point.. Back to the original topic..
    As stated, you already implemented "Yes, we are adults." - How about, counter argument, "No, we are adults." 

For what possible immature reason is there to want vulgar emotes? There isn't any valid justification.

Just play the damn game and stop with all this weird nonsense like who can make a better love life within a game..
  • Oh most DEF!  Adult game, go nuts!!  Of course give people the option to turn it off if they want but still
  • I don't believe they are aiming for an M rating, T seems to be the sweet spot to maximize subs and market to larger demos.

Again, I see the appeal and I'm not opposed, just don't hold your breath.
  • A middlefinger emote would be really nice, but that's as far as I would go. I doubt we'll see anything like it, though.
  • People will find creative ways to insult one another with whatever emotes they decide to implement.
  • A simple jig on a fallen enemy can speak volumes.