Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

How Nodes Trigger Events

I'm curious about how much control players have to manipulate particular nodes that lead to specific events. From my understanding, how players choose to participate in different nodes determines what kind of events a server will experience. This also means some servers may come across dungeons and events sooner than other servers, or may have completely different events.

My question is this, are specific events repeatable and are there ways for a server to monopolize the outcome of nodes to a point that guilds can control events to get specific gear and rewards? If this is true, is there a timer of sorts to prevent similar events from spawning more often than others? Or is it a random generator that potentially influences monsters and events? 

These things could largely effect the goals of guilds to shoot for specific areas and hold control over them. If there's a timer of sorts then it would create an incentive to work with other players. 

Comments

• No one knows how events are triggered beyond the developers. It would take a few years of people actively levelling and deleveling a specific node type in a specific geographical region to even attempt to gather that data. Just because a scientific node got dungeon A at level 4 does not mean that another scientific node in another map location would get the same dungeon or event. And if people were to game the system in such a way, all they would have to do is go in and change the parameters. Think of it as a pool of available events, as more are added over time with specific triggers, the odds of creating the same result diminish. All servers will experience different events and dungeons in different areas. You may see the same dungeon appear at a scientific node on server A, but appear at a militaristic node on server B at a different level.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited March 2018
    Yeah, I keep hoping the developers will address specific details on their node system and how they specifically impact what one server may experience in contrast to a different server. I'm hoping that questions like these get addressed sooner rather than later considering that guilds are already forming and recruiting members.  I'd definitely want to join a guild that had the same/similar goals I have and want in the game. 
  • @Sathic Look at this clip. Timestamp 22:30. Goes into some detail about how things from server to server may work out.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=295&v=YGepb_OZLhQ

• @Sathic Look at this clip. Timestamp 22:30. Goes into some detail about how things from server to server may work out.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=295&v=YGepb_OZLhQ

I've watched that before and it left me with more questions lol

I understand the game philosophy they're shooting for with the node system. Just like everyone else, I'm just not sure how the core systems, like the node system, will be governed and influenced by players.

At some point we won't have to speculate anymore and most of the design nuances of the core systems will be addressed in dev blogs. I can accept that everything is vaguely described at this point because of the current stage of development. It will definitely be interesting to finally see questions answered with videos showing how different actions upon nodes are scored as well as the limitations of the core system itself. 
  • I mean we are pretty far out from release and I think knowing all the specifics of the mechanics is expecting too much. We already know that certain events and locations will become active based on where and when a node is leveled. Why do we need to know more than that? I think a large part of the fun will be figuring out these systems and using the knowledge that other people don't have to your advantage. As long as the Devs deliver on what they are advertising then there should be no problem. I have come to really hate that its hard to become surprised by a video games mechanics these days as they are already completely spoiled beforehand. But I know that is just my personal opinion.
  • At this point in time it might be expecting too much to know the specifics of how the node systems work but eventually it could be very important to know the details before you join particular guilds or servers. What if the systems are designed to the point that large guilds can control content on a regular basis? If the game design can potentially bar me or anyone else from participating in node events on a regular basis, I can without a doubt say I'd be completely frustrated and annoyed that I picked a server and/or guild that limited my goals. 

I'm going to assume that the game won't be designed in a way that will abnegate player goals. I'm fine with random elements as long as it doesn't deny me from completing things that I need to progress further. Asking these questions early on to get answers can prevent future disappointments. 

You can be assured that there would be guilds that would definitely take advantage of any features that allowed them to monopolize important aspects of the games. We'd eventually reach a point where you either join them, or you join another guild that could potentially take them down. The problem here is that if you're not in a guild that's capable of monopolizing content, then you're not going to get very far in the game if some events are needed to open up requirements to progress further. 
  • either someone stupidly waking up a beast or random exploring or randomly sitting doing nothing and something happens take you're pick XD
  • Events showing when people in specific arena do do something interesting (killing 10 000 mushroms is going to summon a giant mushroom what can destroy entire city). And I think node are doing bigger job here. Because Militaric node will appeal monsters. Divine node appeal guys who belive in corrupted god. Economic appeal Bandits itc... . But in video about nodes narrator talking about bridge who connect 2 nodes awake a dragon.

And and events are based on where node is. You can't summon giant, godslayer, necromant mushroom if your 5 lvl node is in mountain and you are killing goats instand of little buddies. (like in video about nodes said fisherman who is doing his job so often to catch someting bigger than fish)

So
    edited March 2018
    I would rather Intrepid did not write a 'howto' on how to repeat node content and create a preplanned story of player choice.
    For me the whole point is to completely avoid that scenario.

In fact I wholeheartedly endorse them randomising the conditions from a selection of multiple triggers.
  • I would rather Intrepid did not write a 'howto' on how to repeat node content and create a preplanned story of player choice.
    For me the whole point is to completely avoid that scenario.

In fact I wholeheartedly endorse them randomising the conditions from a selection of multiple triggers.
    I agree, ever random events and experiences are a lot more fun. I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out across different servers and hopefully the node system won't be dictated by top guilds.

One thing to consider about knowing how nodes function is for guilds that want to raid and do dungeons. I'm pretty sure it was confirmed that dungeons would be randomly found in the game world and I can imagine that there might be events that lead up to unlocking raids, but surely not in a completely random structure. Imagine if raids were randomly generated, that could be interesting but I think some servers would have a hard time with that depending on how hard they'll be. lol
    edited March 2018
    @Sathic
    You mean there may or may not be raids available to raiding communities ?

I think it will work much like player having access to dungeons at a certain level, only in this case it will depend on node level instead. Which raid(s) you get at any node level will be another matter. It would not surprise me for larger group size raids to be node level dependant TBH. That would reflect the difficulty, player progress and maybe even gear progress.

If you mean randomised dungeon content I am all for it. Otherwise it gets posted on the internet. Everyone learns it and it becomes obsolete. Use skill for once...not a howto.
  • @Sathic
    You mean there may or may not be raids available to raiding communities ?

I think it will work much like player having access to dungeons at a certain level, only in this case it will depend on node level instead. Which raid(s) you get at any node level will be another matter. It would not surprise me for larger group size raids to be node level dependant TBH. That would reflect the difficulty, player progress and maybe even gear progress.

If you mean randomised dungeon content I am all for it. Otherwise it gets posted on the internet. Everyone learns it and it becomes obsolete. Use skill for once...not a howto.
    Right, it was hinted that some servers might not see the same dungeons and that dungeons would have different monsters in them on each server. I'm doubtful raids are going to be random in the same way as dungeons. If raids pop up in random locations with random monsters you'll have some very unbalanced situations. Some guilds will have players that have plenty of raid experience and are likely to adapt to something like that a lot quicker compared to more casual guilds. 

I'm in favor of having a challenge and I usually find guilds with players that are competent, flexible, and fun to play with. It'll be interesting to see how everything is going to work when the game goes live.