Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Dark Elves need to be in AOC

they look so awesome we need them do we all agree?

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited March 2018
  • Not sure how they would fit into the current lore. So little has been shared with us to date but perhaps they might have existed? Time will tell, though I think having them nested into the world like the Tul'nar would break the currently known lore. That would really prevent there from being the expanssive under-dark kingdoms known from series such as Forgotten Realms, where the "Drow" really got their first mainstream exposure.
  • Whether this is by in-game cosmetics or through your religious choice I think there should be room for an "anti-Rivendell" variety of high elves.
  • Not sure how they would fit into the current lore. So little has been shared with us to date but perhaps they might have existed? Time will tell, though I think having them nested into the world like the Tul'nar would break the currently known lore. That would really prevent there from being the expanssive under-dark kingdoms known from series such as Forgotten Realms, where the "Drow" really got their first mainstream exposure.
    they could be a bunch of elves that stayed but got mutated by the corruption and only have hatred in their heart 
  • Malgus said:
    Not sure how they would fit into the current lore. So little has been shared with us to date but perhaps they might have existed? Time will tell, though I think having them nested into the world like the Tul'nar would break the currently known lore. That would really prevent there from being the expanssive under-dark kingdoms known from series such as Forgotten Realms, where the "Drow" really got their first mainstream exposure.
    they could be a bunch of elves that stayed but got mutated by the corruption and only have hatred in their heart 
    I am not sure that would fit well into the current known aspects of corruption. Unless Intrepid maybe weaves in some hidden aspects such as an arrival by elves prior to the current portals opening. Perhaps a lingering remnant of corruption existed but not to the same degree and resulted less in mutation / genetic modifications and more towards an adaptive type scenario where living under ground in areas inhabited by the tul'nar they evolve into becoming dark elves. i dunno...
  • they Need to be there to Show the dark side of the elves <:
  • Malgus said:
    Not sure how they would fit into the current lore. So little has been shared with us to date but perhaps they might have existed? Time will tell, though I think having them nested into the world like the Tul'nar would break the currently known lore. That would really prevent there from being the expanssive under-dark kingdoms known from series such as Forgotten Realms, where the "Drow" really got their first mainstream exposure.
    I am not sure that would fit well into the current known aspects of corruption. Unless Intrepid maybe weaves in some hidden aspects such as an arrival by elves prior to the current portals opening. Perhaps a lingering remnant of corruption existed but not to the same degree and resulted less in mutation / genetic modifications and more towards an adaptive type scenario where living under ground in areas inhabited by the tul'nar they evolve into becoming dark elves. i dunno...
    Yeah i meant prior because we are coming back after 1000 years
  • We'll find out that like the Tulnar, some of the other races decided to hide underground instead of go through the portals. The recent lore diary posted seems to confirm people were trapped behind.

So what can we expect in the future? Likely Dark Elves, Dark Dwarves, Dark Humans (Morlocks/troglodytes?) and Dark Orcs. Basically the remainders that left behind would've found that the only safe place was underground. I reasonably expect that many of these races will probably be corrupted NPC races we are battling when we return. Maybe eventually they will be playable races years down the road.
  • Malgus said:

Yeah i meant prior because we are coming back after 1000 years
    Yeah, it is thousand(s) of years, not thousand. That has been said a few times and there is a quote out there of 10k years since the corruption event, portal activation, and world abandoned. A larger expanse of time also fits in with the lore for the pristine state of the world, corruption scaling back to survivable levels, and evolution of the Tulnar into a hybrid species. Really need to be underground for a long time before you think the option of mating with a lizard as an elf really becomes socially acceptable on the survival scale.
  • Well, dark elves are just cool. I like to see them in game, but maby not for now.  Meaby in one of future expansions what get us into another land, meaby to underground to corrupted version of 4 races. Dark elves, Void dwarves, Corrupted humans, Black orcs, something like that. But for now I am okey with this 4 races with 2 variants, what basically give us 8 different races who have different views on world surrounded around us.

But for now I hope those races are like " I accepted my fate, so I accepted corruption into me, this is my life, and I am not gonna be ashamed of this" Or just free corrupted races from under rule of bad gods.
  • Why does Ashes need dark elves again, besides 'they look cool' I don't see any actual reason for their necessity?

If you want to be a 'dark elf' I am sure the skin contrast options can get you close, you can choose an evil deity, and otherwise act malicious. Does this not work?
  • You may be able to create one via the CC, I think we should be hoping they focus on primary content before we start asking for additional races and so on.
    edited March 2018
    My concept of dark elves is that they always saw everyone else as corrupted.
    In Verra, nature bites back.
    It would be fitting that the dark elves are on natures side but far less forgiving of those that overturned the natural order of things for their own ends, than high elves.
    Corruption could well be a matter of perspective... a consequence of trying to control the forces of nature, rather than let them be and harmonise, like the elves try to do.

Would such elves have left Verra if they were on Verras side ? Or would they have stayed and sought refuge. Maybe even helped the corrupted who they could see as allies ? Is that not good enough grounds for dark and light elves to not see eye to eye....even if they are kin.
  • Wait to see the character creator, you may be surprised with the options presented.
  • Xombie said:
    Wait to see the character creator, you may be surprised with the options presented.
    yup can't wait for it

• Dark elves being part of the lore and tied to the calamity that struck verra? sure. Dark elves as a playable race? don't like it right off the bat. Since your're supposed to enter a new world no one should technically be evil at the start. Somewhere down the line they introduce dark elves as part of an expansion and only elf races can become a dark elf through some in game means? I wouldn't mind that.
    edited March 2018
    What I'm hoping for is a non-racial and non-class-based alignment system where any elf, human, dwarf, etc can become good or evil aligned through an in-game system, such as religious choice or quests. This would not be a faction based alignment, purely an aesthetic one.

This would open up different in-game cosmetic options for each character. Good: You get shiny in-game cosmetics and effects. Evil: You get dark cosmetics and effects. These could be applied to any class or race.

Good/evil alignment could/should exist alongside the corruption system, as it does in other games, where there are two axes of alignment: Good<->Evil and Lawful<->Chaotic(Corrupt). 

Steven and Jeffrey have alluded to something like this, and I really hope it is in the MVP as it will be a great source of immersion and will break away from the cookie cutter model where every character of a race kind of looks and reacts exactly the same way.
    edited March 2018
    I hope there are no Dark Elves.
    Might be possible to cobble together a similar look in character create, but that should be just as true for all of the races - not just Elves.

And, of course, Ashes should not have alignments.
    Ashes is not D&D.

Cosmetics aren't really alignments.
    "Heroic" and "Villainous" aesthetics should be possible, but...
    A hero should be able to have the appearance of a villain and a villain/adversary should be able to have the appearance of a hero.
  • I'm all for player freedom.
  • same here play freedom is what makes it even more fun
  • lexmax You mean that system what was in Black and whie ?
    When you act as the devil your hand, animal and bulding become more satanistic
    But when you act as a good guy your churc whit your hand become more like human hand and your animal was good angel.

I don't think its necessary. Ashes of creation is game mmorpg, but style what you are wear shouldn't rely on your alignment. But it will be nice if we could have choice between good and evil in main quest. At start you have 10 options between good and evil, based on this option you can unlock questline for good or evil.
  • @Azathoth
    Why does Ashes need dark elves again, besides 'they look cool' I don't see any actual reason for their necessity?

If you want to be a 'dark elf' I am sure the skin contrast options can get you close, you can choose an evil deity, and otherwise act malicious. Does this not work?

Difference between dark elfs and normal alfs are the same difference between black and white humans if we are talking about skin color. There is no difference. But we are talking about story. Dark elves are always the bad guys, more reckless, arrogant, and dark architecture who live in underground. When normal elves are more like good guys what life in forest. 

That was standard thinking of dark elves. but in ashes I wanna play as corrupted elf, dark elf, elf taken over by corrupton, broke his chains and free, joined to old races and fight with them to overcome corrupted god,monsters and rule this lands once again.

This is why I think ashes of creation need corruped variants of each race. But I will be glad if it come in first or second expansion.
  • This game is whatever the developers want it to be. And they do listen to feedback, so keep it coming :)
  • lexmax said:
    This game is whatever the developers want it to be. And they do listen to feedback, so keep it coming :)
    that why I love steven and the rest of the team
    edited March 2018
    Dark Elves always being the bad guys is an example of institutional racism.
    So, we really need to be moving away from that.
    Which is why the current design of Ashes is on the right track - rather than continuing to support institutional racism.
  • Dygz said:
    Which is why the current design of Ashes is on the right track - rather than continuing to support institutional racism.
    Agree with this 100%.  
  • @Rainer, Ashes does not have any planned faction conflict. I would be afraid that adding 'Dark Elves' would add a specific faction conflict, i.e. Dark Elves vs. non-Corrupt races. I see no reason why the story, lore, game, etc., require this.

I do see merit in a lot of the potential lore presented here. I just don't think it is necessary.
  • @Azathoth I don't know why you think dark elves should fight vs non-corrupted races when I write about join them to non-corrupted races.
  • Dygz said:
    So is night and day racism ?
    They are just dualistic aspects.
    My own definition between dark and light elves above held them as opposing philosophical arguments. Right or Wrong was subjective. So the institutionalised racism argument is a bit of a strawman. Although probably not without merit in some circles.
  • Dygz said:
    So is night and day racism ?
    They are just dualistic aspects.
    My own definition between dark and light elves above held them as opposing philosophical arguments. Right or Wrong was subjective. So the institutionalised racism argument is a bit of a strawman. Although probably not without merit in some circles.
    100% this