Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Let's Be Real: Ashes Might Suck

I commend the intrepid team for the sweeping progress they've made thus far, but if i am being honest, i am not subscribing to this game for it to "re-define" the genre. Many are here because they think Ashes will lift the MMORPG genre from the mud, and bring it back to the glorious days; whatever that means. One comment I've: don't let the hype blind you, because this game will probably be as revolutionary as a World of Warcraft expansion.

Comments

• Yes, it might suck. On the other hand it might be good. 

Too early to judge about that if you ask me.
  • Glorious days of MMORPG in my humble opinion is when you play one for the first time,learning how to play,group,raid,craft and make friends (or ennemies) is all part of the noob hype...i know i'll never get that noobie feeling again but 2 incoming mmog have my vote so far  and i only post on this one...ya must be a little old timer hype there :wink:
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited March 2018
    Glorious days of MMORPG in my humble opinion is when you play one for the first time,learning how to play,group,raid,craft and make friends (or ennemies) is all part of the noob hype...i know i'll never get that noobie feeling again but 2 incoming mmog have my vote so far  and i only post on this one...ya must be a little old timer hype there :wink:
    Totally true, games where fun when you where a noob. Now its always the same and nothing is a adventure anymore. This is for every game to come out and is out there already.

Only thing that can probably surprise me as a gamer is a hyper reality VR where you play your char with your brain, while you transfer into the game with your conscious. Hopefully we will see this in our lifetime.

Only thing that satisfies me in games currently is teamwork and team accomplishment.  
  • I just want a fun game that i can get drawn into. Even if others think it suck. This game caught my eye and has the potential to do just that.  I thought warhammer online would be my last mmorpg (so much wasted content). I am ready to give AOC a turn and hope that it can bring joy back to my video gaming experience  
  • Yes it might suck. But if that was the devs intention, there wouldn't be much point putting any money at all into the game. I mean its not like 'sea of thieves'.
    ;)
  • I often think that one of the problems is that you always seem to get "stuck" on your first MMO. Nothing that comes out will ever compare to whatever MMO you played in YOUR glory days. I certainly know that I am forever comparing MMO's to FFXI, SWG (pre-NGE) and EQ. I liked the systems from then, the communites and the gameplay. 

I often feel that no matter how good new MMO's are, they will never capture those days for me and will "suck" by proxy. 

That said, I do have high hopes for Ashes, but after some of the more recent MMO releases, I'm reserving my judgement. Now I just need an alpha/beta key so I can decide lol and I'll keep praying that it doesn't suck in the mean time.
  • I remain optimistic, not blinded by hype.
  • I am sure it will suck for some, no doubt in my mind, Ashes will not be what they imagined it would be and thus will suck. From my perspective some features might turn out the way I hope while others will not. I will approach Ashes the same way I approach every MMO I play and that is am I having fun. If yes then I stick with it, if not then move on.
    As for hype yes its there but is much tempered by the wait still ahead of us. Ask me again in 18 months time lol.
  • I agree with @Varkun - it will "suck" for some, there's no two ways about it. The hype is what it is for two reasons, in my humble opinion, (a) it reflects how dire the genre has become (b) Intrepid are aiming for something different than what we've had since 1999. It might be implemented badly, but if Intrepid deliver on most of their vision I can promise you one thing. It ain't going to be no WoW expansion.
  • The possibility is always there, but with the teams vision alone I believe they have something great in the making.
  • I'm not buying the hype.
    I'm investing in the development of a game design vision I support.
    All kinds of reasons Ashes could become vaporware, but...
    I want people working on the development of these systems and I'm willing to spend some cash to help with that development - even if the systems end up being used for some other game.
  • Let's be honest, everything has the potential of being lackluster or not living up to your personal expectations.
  • Fleelix said:
    Glorious days of MMORPG in my humble opinion is when you play one for the first time,learning how to play,group,raid,craft and make friends (or ennemies) is all part of the noob hype...i know i'll never get that noobie feeling again but 2 incoming mmog have my vote so far  and i only post on this one...ya must be a little old timer hype there :wink:
    Totally true, games where fun when you where a noob. Now its always the same and nothing is a adventure anymore. This is for every game to come out and is out there already.

Only thing that can probably surprise me as a gamer is a hyper reality VR where you play your char with your brain, while you transfer into the game with your conscious. Hopefully we will see this in our lifetime.

Only thing that satisfies me in games currently is teamwork and team accomplishment.  
    Oh man Fleeix you read my mind, I want this so bad... ever since I play Dot.Hack game for the PS1... lol
  • Xombie said:
    Let's be honest, everything has the potential of being lackluster or not living up to your personal expectations.
    Well, if you start with low expectations, like the game being vaporware...
  • Fleelix said:

@Fleelix kinda sounds like you want something from that anime Sword Art Online. I am pretty sure that is the whole basis of that anime if I am correct.
  • Dygz said:
    Xombie said:
    Let's be honest, everything has the potential of being lackluster or not living up to your personal expectations.
    Well, if you start with low expectations, like the game being vaporware...
    I have lower expectations that that, the game might be vaporware and my cereal might be dreadful tomorrow morning.. 
  • Of course it might suck, that possibility is there with every game that is made. All we can do is support their vision and provide optimism and positive feedback. 
  • It might, but I prefer to look at it positively and assume this is the MMO where I can spend years in again.
  • At the end of the day it is a matter of trust and patience, you either trust the developers that they will keep their promises and wait for the game to be released or you don't. Obviously if the games comes out not how it was said to be then the disappointment will be bigger :3
  • Rejoice \o/

My cereal did not suck! 
  • The days of me putting 8-10 hrs a day into a MMORPG died when I got married. The glory days will never be back for me. This game only needs to keep my interest and be fun. I am pretty sure it will be able to do that. If it is able to do that and change the gaming world, well then by golly I tell ya what, woot! Of course it could suck, but... if you have been keeping up with development it is highly unlikely.
  • Mazikar said:
    The days of me putting 8-10 hrs a day into a MMORPG died when I got married. The glory days will never be back for me. This game only needs to keep my interest and be fun. I am pretty sure it will be able to do that. If it is able to do that and change the gaming world, well then by golly I tell ya what, woot! Of course it could suck, but... if you have been keeping up with development it is highly unlikely.
    Amen brother.  Same boat here (and now even less now we've started a family).  My main genres were MMOs, FPS and MOBAs, however with limited time I get to play I have to assess what best suits my situation.  I'm finding I hardly play FPS games anymore as late at night (when I get to play) I don't want to have to pay 'too' much attention to what i'm doing.  I used to play ALOT of dota, but investing 30m-1h into a single game that may turn out to be horrid doesn't sound like the best way of ending my nigh; I've since moved onto Heroes of the Storm for quick fixes.  Then it brings me back to MMOs, so long as I accept I wont be in a position to do raiding, I'm looking for games that I can enjoy slowly and long term - and with Ashes vision of an ever changing landscape this is something that will keep it fresh for the duration of my stay (hopefully forever!)
  • Calm down people this was posted on April 1st.