Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

toggle system for other people cosmetics

ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
edited March 2018 in Ashes of Creation Design
I know people don't share other people tastes when it comes to cosmetics or life in general so I think my idea is probably the best solution to bring everyone together again. I suggested have a middle line were both people should be happy if a player who toggled of viewing another players cosmetics and  you won't know they did that so you be happy riding you're bear or wearing you're bunny suit or whatever and player who did that will be happy he does not have to see it. it  will basically work if you click a player they should have a icon where it would be like hide cosmetic for mount on that player not all you select what cosmetics you want to see and which ones you don't. so what are people thoughts would this enable people not care about new cute cosmetics because they can make it so they don't see them and gives people like @GMSteven free to do what art style they wants 

@Belle-bot.exe ♡
@lexmax
@Shunex
@Sarumonin
@DeathsProxy
@BCGiant
@Okies

I be looking to see you're thoughts

Comments

• I would suggest such a system allow you to disable certain cosmetic skins globally, rather than having to click an individual player. You've already seen the skin at that point which somewhat limits the usefulness of the proposed feature.

It also gives us the most control possible over which cosmetics we see, and which we don't. I think the idea has merit, and I hope intrepid develops such a system so as to allow a higher level of silliness for the players who like that stuff without bothering those who do not.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited March 2018
    @Gigabear
     that is nice but I don't know if globally is possible i'm giving a base idea  steven can use it and make it better :) 
  • Wish away. Isn't going to happen. Part of the whole no inspection of characters that has been hashed and rehashed over the last several months is not knowing what someone is wearing. Being able to pick and choose whether or not a costume is displayed to you would give you an advantage or at the minimum a heads up as to what gear the person is wearing. Naughty, naughty.
  • Wish away. Isn't going to happen. Part of the whole no inspection of characters that has been hashed and rehashed over the last several months is not knowing what someone is wearing. Being able to pick and choose whether or not a costume is displayed to you would give you an advantage or at the minimum a heads up as to what gear the person is wearing. Naughty, naughty.
    It's no different than seeing a player as if they had not skinned their gear in the first place. You won't be able to see anything about the stats just by looking at the gear models someone is wearing.
    then try the global system then
    edited March 2018
    Gigabear said:
    Wish away. Isn't going to happen. Part of the whole no inspection of characters that has been hashed and rehashed over the last several months is not knowing what someone is wearing. Being able to pick and choose whether or not a costume is displayed to you would give you an advantage or at the minimum a heads up as to what gear the person is wearing. Naughty, naughty.
    It's no different than seeing a player as if they had not skinned their gear in the first place. You won't be able to see anything about the stats just by looking at the gear models someone is wearing.
    Tier 1 gear and Tier 4 gear look vastly different in the models. If I am wandering between towns in my merchant costume with a mule out, someone should not be able to know that I am wearing top tier plate under it until they make a bad decision and decide to try and gank that poor looking merchant. They want there to be an element of move/countermove to pvp. Not the cookie cutter stuff that most interactions become within 6 months of release. "Ok, the gate is going to open, as soon as it does, rush their healer and burn him down!"  Hey boss, which one is the healer? "Oh yeah, well, look for circles on the ground." But what if they have bought the different spell effects pack boss? "Screw it, just attack everyone."
  • well by you're logic you could tell by the person weapon what teir they are though?
  • Reminder that A0 is under NDA. 
  • Gigabear said:
    Reminder that A0 is under NDA. 
    Reminder for who? I haven't talked about anything that isn't available in past streams or info releases. Take a gander at the Snapchat skins released. Look at any of 5 development videos where they show gear being worked on in the studio.
  • Malgus said:
    well by you're logic you could tell by the person weapon what teir they are though?
    Two words. Weapon skins.
  • giga no nda has been said i'm not even under nda XD
  • I think  its doable like in GW2 the wvw options for other player appearance  !!!
  • If cosmetics appear out of place in the final game then this will probably be needed. But somehow I think Intrepid will hold true to their word and make things blend well together in the final game. 

Who knows, maybe Stuffertons is a "baby" mount and could end up looking something like this when fully grown? :lol:

• lexmax said:
    If cosmetics appear out of place in the final game then this will probably be needed. But somehow I think Intrepid will hold true to their word and make things blend well together in the final game. 

Who knows, maybe Stuffertons is a "baby" mount and could end up looking something like this when fully grown? :lol:

if its becomes something like that I will buy it
    edited March 2018
    Honestly I want them to do this anyway, so "immersion" stops being a consideration for what cosmetics to put in the shop. You cannot make both groups happy trying to find a middle ground. Some will want Stuffertons deleted no matter what, and I'l always want more silliness.
  • Malgus said:

No, you won't. Because in 6 days it is no longer available. So you need to either have faith and pony up the scratch, or be jealous when everyone else that bought them this month is lookin stylin.
  • Malgus said:

No, you won't. Because in 6 days it is no longer available. So you need to either have faith and pony up the scratch, or be jealous when everyone else that bought them this month is lookin stylin.
    it was no serious you need to realize a joke if it did that steven would say it
  • I was going to post the same suggestion myself.....alas work.
    So...yeah...thumbsup from me.

1. Cash shop can do whatever eye sore it wants.
    2. Base cosmetics can be sensible instead of silly.
    3. Those who love silly win.
    4 Those who hate silly win.

It can even be as simple as show skins or disable skins.

There was another issue raised in another thread. Whats the point of having elf,dwarf, human, orc house and node evolution styles if the only thing you will see is skins anyway ?
    Skins that are a patchwork of styles across a broad range of time periods.
  • I was going to post the same suggestion myself.....alas work.
    So...yeah...thumbsup from me.

1. Cash shop can do whatever eye sore it wants.
    2. Base cosmetics can be sensible instead of silly.
    3. Those who love silly win.
    4 Those who hate silly win.

It can even be as simple as show skins or disable skins.

There was another issue raised in another thread. Whats the point of having elf,dwarf, human, orc house and node evolution styles if the only thing you will see is skins anyway ?
    Skins that are a patchwork of styles across a broad range of time periods.
    100% top notch great minds think alike 
    ^This.
    edited March 2018
    Activating a cosmetic block randomizes the appereance of the armor which is shown instead. These random looks would be drawn only from the game's base items.

Should be something they could do and eliminates any "inspection" related concerns since you would gain no valuable information at that point.

• How can you have a feedback mechanism if you allow players to obfuscate the feedback ?
  • How can you have a feedback mechanism if you allow players to obfuscate the feedback ?
    I don't follow. Who was this directed at?
  • Gigabear said:
    How can you have a feedback mechanism if you allow players to obfuscate the feedback ?
    I don't follow. Who was this directed at?
    I think unknown and xombie
  • Interesting question~

I'm unsure of how I feel about it. I understand  that some players will find some cosmetics unappealing and would want to hide it for a more immersive experience. Don't like how it looks~toggle it off and keep everything beautiful.

I also feel that having this system in place would defeat the purpose of designing cosmetics that are not immersive breaking. In the eyes of Intrepid all the cosmetics they have created are meant to be seen in the world of Verra and should not look out of place.

I also feel that cosmetics (gear, pets, ships, housing etc) allow players to express themselves and well - it creates diversity within the community.

For example - I'm not a fan of necromancer themes. Sure it would be great to toggle it off but at the same time I'd be removing a theme which should be fitting to Verra and blocking off a players way of expressing their style.

It's a win/lose and I just don't know! 
  • Diura said:
    Interesting question~

I'm unsure of how I feel about it. I understand  that some players will find some cosmetics unappealing and would want to hide it for a more immersive experience. Don't like how it looks~toggle it off and keep everything beautiful.

I also feel that having this system in place would defeat the purpose of designing cosmetics that are not immersive breaking. In the eyes of Intrepid all the cosmetics they have created are meant to be seen in the world of Verra and should not look out of place.

I also feel that cosmetics (gear, pets, ships, housing etc) allow players to express themselves and well - it creates diversity within the community.

For example - I'm not a fan of necromancer themes. Sure it would be great to toggle it off but at the same time I'd be removing a theme which should be fitting to Verra and blocking off a players way of expressing their style.

It's a win/lose and I just don't know! 
    I guess it will be more needed if what lex said comes true
  • Tat actualy only would kill the main point of the cosmetics. You know, ppls buy it to show their e-penis off. Option to disable it would means reduced revenue, not like i would care though...

edited April 2018
    It actually totally breaks immersion if someone has the appearance of and is roleplaying as an Elemental, but people can't see that they are an Elemental.
    Or if someone is riding an enchanted teddy bear, but people can't see the teddy bear.

Might be OK if there were some spell or augment that players can acquire to temporarily dispel the enchantment/illusion.
  • Do armor cosmetics give users of such cosmetics a slight edge over those wearing un-skinned armor? I think it can be argued that they do to a certain extent. Is this a slight P2W?
  • This is a rather bad idea since a lot of people like to show off their cosmetics, it's highly unlikely for something like this to be implemented.