Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Servers?

So i  know this is a long way away, but I'm curious to know what the dev's are gonna do with their servers. Not just if they are building their own dedicated or outsourcing, but if they are going to give us info on "server Locations" or a list of which servers are in specific regions. 

Comments

• Hi o/

What we know so far:

There will be NA, EU and OCE servers~ 
    Other servers will be considered based on interest~
    Servers will not have IP blocks~
    Servers will have about 8-10k concurrent players~
    Servers are not PvE/PvP/RP segregated
    There are no "server channels" within a server~

We don't have more specific details at the moment about locations etc~ Dx
  • @Diura
    any info on lore specific server names being a thing? :open_mouth::cookie:
  • @zazukeys

Not at the moment! :( 
  • @Diura
    Thanks boss, let me know which server you end up choosing :smirk:
  • I think we also have confirmation that they are working with Google for their servers.  Or at the very least that is who they were in conversations with.
  • @PharazonKensaki Any cloud-service would do best in regards of service and availability. Don't have to go into seperate agreements with local hosting companies :lol:
    I hope Google can deliver - I saw some games switching at least from Amazon to Azure, from Azure to Amazon, and from Amazone to Google - not sure what those three big companies do with their game servers, but it looks a little bit unorganized :lol:

@Diura Are you sure it's "8-10k concurrent players"? Thought it would be a population of 10k / server. Even though concurrent players might hit that mark.
  • @Herdo The raging debate was that we had two quotes at two different earlier times from Steven. One of 8k and one of 10k. Lively discussion was had. But during the livestream from the 8th he very clearly says 8-10k, so that is the latest information and that is what is going to be the quote for the next while. It is in the first audio only portion of the stream. Reference # on page of 2.32.
    http://www.aocwiki.net/PAX_EAST_2018_Sunday_Steven_Q#Specific_number_on_different_servers_per_region.3F
  • @Herdo The raging debate was that we had two quotes at two different earlier times from Steven. One of 8k and one of 10k. Lively discussion was had. But during the livestream from the 8th he very clearly says 8-10k, so that is the latest information and that is what is going to be the quote for the next while. It is in the first audio only portion of the stream. Reference # on page of 2.32.
    http://www.aocwiki.net/PAX_EAST_2018_Sunday_Steven_Q#Specific_number_on_different_servers_per_region.3F
    @U@UnknownSystemError Ok, wow - that'll be a lot of people ^^
  • @Herdo Amazon, Microsoft, and Google can all be good partners (I have worked with Microsoft Azure a bit before and talked to the others) but a lot of it comes down to the person/team negotiating the servers/services.  You need to make sure you have a firm understanding of what you want and need both at the start of your project and down the road to some degree.

In the case of AoC that means understanding, at a very technical level, the requirements for the large scale PvP they want to deliver and making sure the end result for the player is clear to the server partner.  I would hope that part of the planning is going to rely on P1A1 to get a measure of what they need.  While I don't know the game development world I would think their server partner should be able to change the server solution during P1 to help test different possible solutions, ensuring the performance needs are met.

• Oce servers? My friend, by simply planning for that from the outside, you have ensured my interest.
  • Thanks for the responses. the live streams shortly after this post cleared up a lot of the info.