Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Poverty

Just curious whether nodes can have an impoverished district. Especially at a metropolis stage, granted the node videos explain much and a good leader can manage the cities appropriately but an impoverished district seems realistic. Realism isn't a very convincing argument though but something like this can do many things like open up new quest lines (Such as giving meaning to hunting for food. Incentive to trade to develop the poor district). 

There can also be shady things like shady npc merchants selling strange things (potions with rather unthinkable recipes and effects, or double edge weapons that may significantly lower one stat to slightly boost another). Opens up possibility for in node questing like stopping a drug cartel that is running freely in the poor district etc.

Thoughts?

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited April 2018
    I like the idea very much and hope they plan something similar.
  • I feel like the accomplishment of building a metropolis in the first place means that the entire establishment is successful. Where did these impoverished settlers come from so quickly if the initial camp was so prosperous? I don't know it just seems odd to me. Maybe over time, if a metropolis lasts long enough, a district or section of it can begin struggling financially without good leadership but I don't think it should be a default. 
  • xPoseidon said:
    I feel like the accomplishment of building a metropolis in the first place means that the entire establishment is successful. Where did these impoverished settlers come from so quickly if the initial camp was so prosperous? I don't know it just seems odd to me. Maybe over time, if a metropolis lasts long enough, a district or section of it can begin struggling financially without good leadership but I don't think it should be a default. 
    Hmm i think i agree. Maybe a consequence of too little taxes and as a warning that the node is about to de-level ?
  • I think the closest thing to an impoverished district in a Metropolis would be the people that became citizens of that particular node late, and as such only have smaller housing options (the non-instanced housing, that is) available to them. If these houses are all in the same area, it would function like a poorer area of town.

The people that joined the node early have had their houses upgraded to mansions, and so that part of town would be opulent and grand, but the people that joined late only have smaller houses, so that area would be cramped.