Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Siege system thoughts

I really like the idea of the siege system, however I think that if you had to defend your territory 24/7 it wouldn't really be fun for players (too serious). It would be cool if there was a designated siege hour every day so guilds could mass up to attack / defend all at once, which would lead to some pretty epic fights. Anyway just an idea I thought would be cool let me know what you guys think ^^

Comments

• Nodes can only be sieged every so often depending on the node's level. Metropolis will only be able to be sieged probably once a month (not set in stone yet). And players will be given ample time to prepare for a siege.
    Castles will have 3 minor objectives (adjacent nodes) and one objective is sieged per week. At week 4 the castle can be sieged, so castles and each of their 3 objectives can only be sieged once a month each. 

So, there is no need to worry about constant sieging happening :) 
  • sieges in ashes are meant to change the landscape in a huge way. nodes affect the world around them and take time to build so when a siege does happen it one of the main world events as it will change the area.
  • Pvp castle sieges are meant for guilds and will take place monthly. They have 3 support nodes that come up for attack weekly leading up to the 4th week attack on the castle. That is where people will get their "I wanna be able to pvp anytime I want!" fix.

Node sieges will be less frequent. They have purposefully designed the system so it is not like other games like Ark, Dark and Light, or Conan Exiles where anyone can just roll up and start burning your house down. To even start the declaration process will be time consuming and expensive with no guarantee of success. It will be needed to be undertaken by a group of individuals with deep pockets and the skills to make it happen. Once a node has been sieged it goes into a cooldown that is 10X the declaration period. So around 3 weeks for a level 3, and almost two months for a level 6. Nodes sieges are meant to occur during "prime time" for that regions server. (We still have yet to see what their definition of "prime time" is for a window.)

• Thanks for the info, glad to see they've put some thought into this already. Do you know if it will be possible for multiple guilds to siege the same city/node at the same time? Seems like it could play a big factor considering guilds may form alliances to take out the stronger guilds. 
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited April 2018
    Cities are not owned by guilds so cities will more than likely have many different guilds living within them. So yes, multiple guilds can siege a city at the same time and multiple guilds can defend a city at the same time.
    And, even though only one guild can own a castle at a time, multiple guilds can siege a castle at one time and the guild that owns the castle can form an alliance with other guilds to get help defending against sieges.
  • Zastro said:
    Cities are not owned by guilds so cities will more than likely have many different guilds living within them. So yes, multiple guilds can siege a city at the same time and multiple guilds can defend a city at the same time.
    And, even though only one guild can own a castle at a time, multiple guilds can siege a castle at one time and the guild that owns the castle can form an alliance with other guilds to get help defending against sieges.
    Indeed.

In fact, I expect there to be node sieges where people of the same guild are on opposing sides.

• Indeed.

In fact, I expect there to be node sieges where people of the same guild are on opposing sides.
    I'm a bit confused, why would this be?
  • xrp said:
    I'm a bit confused, why would this be?
    Guilds will likely be best served by having members that are citizens of different node types.

As such, it may be in one players best interests to take a node down a level via siege, even if that node has members of his own guild as citizens.
  • It has benefits to split guild members if you think that from resource and trade point of view, but it makes guild events (groups) harder to manage if people are scatter all over the world. But i guess alts will play role in this matter.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited April 2018
    Ferryman said:
    It has benefits to split guild members if you think that from resource and trade point of view, but it makes guild events (groups) harder to manage if people are scatter all over the world. But i guess alts will play role in this matter.
    I wouldn't expect guilds to scatter too far. I'd expect them to all want to be based in the nodes surrounding the same Metropolis, as an example. That is also why I'd expect to see members of a guild on opposite sides of a node siege their nodes are neighbors, but only one of them can be the higher level.

And yeah, I can see alts playing a huge role in AoC.