Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

In game pathways

Ok, might be a little early to complain about this but i will anyway. So the world i supposed to have been without any intelligent civilization for a very long time and thus there shouldn't be any pathways in game when we arrive. In fact i would argue that pathways shouldn't appear until about the 3rd stage of a node and those pathways be strictly limited to that nodes zone of influence. An undeveloped zone beside the zone with the node shouldn't have any pathways until it gets a node lv3 of its own. 

So my point being remove roads and paths until a node is given time to level up and all.

Comments

• Seems like a logical thing that I could get behind. Maybe have it start as a path at 2 or 3 and then when it gets 4+ they'll get roads.

Or that can be something the leader can order happen. "order-roads: will build paved roads to the nearest nodes --- cost x resources  y gold" Then later on they can pave the next nodes out for even more gold but probably similar resources.
  • There are still sentient corrupted races in the world before we arrive. They may have made those paths. Also all we have seen so far are game trails at the early stages of a node from the footage released so far.
  • UnknownSystemError said:
    There are still sentient corrupted races in the world before we arrive. They may have made those paths. Also all we have seen so far are game trails at the early stages of a node from the footage released so far.
    On top of this, many types of animals form tracks and trails in areas they frequent.

I'd agree that signposted or paved roads shouldn't exist until a node is built up, but tracks and trails should, imo.
  • Just like @UnknownSystemError said there should be sentient races out there, also it would not be THAT surprising if some of the Tulnar eventually left the underrealm and went onto the surface.
  • i guess it makes sense. Its just a minor complaint though really. 
  • Noaani said:

On top of this, many types of animals form tracks and trails in areas they frequent.

I'd agree that signposted or paved roads shouldn't exist until a node is built up, but tracks and trails should, imo.
    I do agree animal track are the base of most of our actual highway... at a distant point in the past. so yes, walking the path should be the reason why a road is created.
    packed earth road could be appearing automatically, but if of course, if you want to upgrade it to stone you should create a node quest for that, because it will require time and ressource.
    A good road is very important for the speed of caravan, so, if you got a bad road in the winter, your caravan will be stuck in the mud.
  • I'd agree with the dirt pathways being there by default.
    But also the ability to upgrade them.
    Especially as caravans suffer speed penalties based on terrain.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited May 2018
    I'd actually like to see road improvements connected to nodes, but once improved, the roads themselves are separate.

What I mean by that is - once a node reaches a specific level (village size, imo), they can then gather resources to expand a road from that node to either a point of interest, or to a nearby node. Once a node reaches Township size, it can work on building a road from any node that is connected to it via existing road, allowing for large, long roads to be built even if nodes in between are not leveled up at all.

If the node is de-leveled or destroyed, however, as the built roads are now a separate entity, they remain in place.

That is how I'd like to see them done, at least. I mean, we know that at least bridge construction could be tied to node development, but I'd like to see the whole system expanded upon.
  • Just like anything else in the game, the roads could have a durability to them. Whether this be a standard decay rate or a durability loss per caravan transported over it.

You could have standard connections between nodes and POI as a simple packed-earth path and the node leaders could upgrade them to cobblestone paths for a set amount of resources and gold cost (for paying the workers/transporting the resources). This, in turn, will increase mount/caravan speed greatly. However if they are not upkept they will degrade to a broken cobblestone path which could either bring it back to dirt-path speeds or even lower speeds(since the stones could destroy caravan wheels or injure mount's legs).