Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Tavern Placement

I was wondering what the Community thinks about Tavern Placement for
  1. Profitability $$$$
  2. Security (from siege destruction or meddling Governments)
So:
  • Where would you place a tavern
  • Realistically, where would you most frequently visit one?  On the road, outside a City gate, Market Place, etc

And does anyone know if I have to rebuild/re-purchase the land, building materials, decorations, etc. if it gets destroyed by one means or another?

Comments

• I would say in a small town outside of a main node would be a great place or even better some where near a dungeon 
  • I've already given away too many secrets relating my idea... but,
    Is there someone/something that said we could basically place a tavern anywhere?
    Or are you thinking about Freehold placement with a Tavern on it? Or a developing city with the mayor possibly deciding on a city's layout?
  • Where everybody knows your name, and they're always glad you came. 

• Caelron said:
    I've already given away too many secrets relating my idea... but,
    Is there someone/something that said we could basically place a tavern anywhere?
    Or are you thinking about Freehold placement with a Tavern on it? Or a developing city with the mayor possibly deciding on a city's layout?
    Aww, you haven't given me any secrets :(  ..but I think you said you wanted to build a boat one, I promise I won't steal your idea.

Freehold maybe, probably less traffic than a city, but also safer from siege damage and looting
  • nagash said:
    I would say in a small town outside of a main node would be a great place or even better some where near a dungeon 
    Outside a really big Dungeon or Dungeon area might actually not be a bad idea
  • I know Steven said that taverns will be limited inside the cities, so those will be coveted spots.  With the knowledge that houses grow with the city's level, I am wondering if the taverns will grow also.  This also begs the question will taverns be limited in the world in general?
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited May 2018
    T-Elf said:
    I know Steven said that taverns will be limited inside the cities, so those will be coveted spots.  With the knowledge that houses grow with the city's level, I am wondering if the taverns will grow also.  This also begs the question will taverns be limited in the world in general?
    Going off of that, does that mean that (if) the Taverns in the cities progress with the city, are Freehold ones limited?
  • With your in node housing you will have the option of turning it into a tavern. As the node levels up, those that got in the first wave will get increasingly larger houses/taverns that are nearer the city center than the later waves. Those that come late to the party will have smaller taverns with not as many options.
    The taverns on your freehold will level up also over time and actions taken. We know of at least 3 levels of housing/upgrades on the freehold so far, and will know more once they release more information about them.
  • @UnknownSystemError I haven't heard anything of turning a House into a Tavern the way you describe, I thought there was going to be a set number in the cities instead..
  • @UnknownSystemError I haven't heard anything of turning a House into a Tavern the way you describe, I thought there was going to be a set number in the cities instead..
    Yep, was definitely mentioned in a livestream, there will be npc run and player run taverns inside the city proper.
  • @UnknownSystemError Where would you place a tavern assuming it worked like that?  Where would you be more tempted to hop into one?
  • You don't "place" the in-city tavern, it would be where your "house" is located once you purchase it in the city. Once you own the the house you would hire a vendor to staff a counter selling food just like we know you can hire a vendor to watch your market kiosk while you are offline. Housing/freeholds will have various levels of access and permissions to those not the owner. Want a private space for you and your friends? Set access to private and only let those on the approved list in. Want to run a business? Leave access public and let anyone wander around your place. This has been done for years with housing in other MMOs going back to Ultima, SWG, and others. Fits right in with the MMOGA thinking. Gives people a reason to visit other peoples houses when the access is public to see what goods and services they have.

As to where would I be more tempted to frequent, depends on the situation at the time, and how buffs function once we get that information. Early comments that on a freehold you could get buffs that would function in the near vicinity to the freehold. If there is a "bubble" of buff effectiveness that surrounds where you got it, then people would gravitate towards those places. Say you place your freehold near popular hunting grounds/open world dungeons, you would be very popular vs the guy who puts his waaaaaay out on the edge of the zoi with nothing around it that is a draw.