Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Class name hate???

with the exception of the overuse of the words "spell" and "night" why is there so much class hate on what are generally stereotypical archetype names. . . strider, scryers, scions. . . I've seen these names across all sorts of American and JRPG's, and still it seems we've collectively forgotten all previous uses to chastise intrepid. it seems to me as though unless you are wanting to be a paladin, battle mage, or necromancer the name is hated and that automatically means the class will be shit on a shingle further more i see ridiculous reasoning behind the hate or even just not giving a reason and assuming everyone knows why we should all hate archetype x (cough* highswords and scouts *cough) i'm just as interested in immersion as the next guy but i want to play the game intrepid studios wants to make; not the game the forums bellyache into.

TLDR: what's with the class hate, don't we wanna see the game steven had in mind?

Comments

• Well, there is some weird stuff going on: -mancer means mage, so it's strange that a Necromancer is not a Summoner/Mage or Mage/Summoner.
    Shadowmancer should be Mage/Rogue and Shadow Caster should be Summoner/Rogue.

Shadow Guardian and Shadow Disciple and Shadow Blade are just lazy, vapid, kludges as if the devs couldn't come up with anything on par with Trickster or Shaman or Warlock, so the just threw Shadow in front of anything with Rogue as a secondary class.
    Spellmancer is utterly redundant.

The sub-class design should be fine.
    Most of the names for the sub-classes are horrible and abysmally sophomoric.
  •  as per dictionary.com
    mancy is  a combining form meaning “divination,” of the kind specified by the initial element, not necessarily MAGE, i do agree that "shadow" is another vastly over used prefix, but the hatred of the names not involving shadow, spell, and night just kinda make those complaints seem less valid. . . i personally don't see how names like soul weaver or apostle or charlatan seem "sophomoric" and answering "why do we hate these" with "they're bad" isn't much help for the devs. :/
  • At least half of the names are just weird and/or at wrong place. Feels more like those are taken randomly from hat than really thought through. So imo the class name hate is more than justified.
  • how can they seem out of place without any real back story to the planet or characters though? the rogue names (save tank mage and summoner) are pretty much dictionary definitions (a rogue cleric is in fact a cultist, and so on) and with the exception of the three words previously stated i could at least see how intrepid could make the name fit to the function. i'm not saying the hate isn't justified i'm just saying i don't want to see reworks to blade dancer or knight before reworks to names like nightspell or spellsword.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited April 2018
    Telonius said:
    i personally don't see how names like soul weaver or apostle or charlatan seem "sophomoric" and answering "why do we hate these" with "they're bad" isn't much help for the devs. :/
    Did I state that names like Soul Weaver or Charlatan are sophomoric??
    I gave examples of the type that are sophomoric kludges and explained why they are.
    I didn't simply say "they're bad".
    Most does not equal all.

Why are you listing Knight and Blade Dancer as receiving hate when it's Nightspell and Spellsword that are the ones receiving hate?
    Though I expect most people to agree that Acolyte just seems strangely placed for no reason that can be explained via lore. It's not horrible, but it's not good, either.

• I think a lot stems from many of the names being generic/overused/ with some seeming uninspired or a bad fit. I think they should have had the fans submit names or waited until they had the combination class concept down and came up with a name fitting it.

Then again, maybe they do already have the concepts down and these are the names that suit them.
  • Why are you listing Knight and Blade Dancer as receiving hate when it's Nightspell and Spellsword that are the ones receiving hate?
    Though I expect most people to agree that Acolyte just seems strangely placed for no reason that can be explained via lore. It's not horrible, but it's not good, either.

well, I've obviously seen outliers and took them as the majority . . . i apologize for my bravado and fervency; i just want this game to be as good as they can make it. i also apologize for seeing your complaints towards certain classes and conflating it into the entire list. . . sorry :(
  • My rule is that if you can't see the name making sense in the context of the world then it will feel inappropriate. Organic names are imperative to quality storytelling.
    edited April 2018
    @Telonius
    They personally don't have that Magical-vibe for me. They ... are honestly a turn-off for me tbh. They just feel Dry & Stale in terms of taste.

Personally, the Names reflect the Gameplay of the overall Archetype ... and it just doesn't feel right. Showcasing the other 4 Archetype might help envisioning what they could play like

EDIT: Hears hoping Intrepid can sustain the Magical-feel via Gameplay. Because they honestly feel like a Placeholder for the real-thing
  • Personally I'm satisfied with the class names, some people seem to think of alternative names for the classes which is all fine but at the end of the day unless Intrepid decides to change something it will all stay as planned.
  • It's a new world with new magic and classes so why not have new names to stand out from the rest of the fanasty games on the market right now.
  • nagash said:
    It's a new world with new magic and classes so why not have new names to stand out from the rest of the fanasty games on the market right now.
    Yeah like main classes and races. Very original.  ;) New names and weird names are two different things imo. I have nothing against new names and i would love to see also some less used instead of the old same ones. But not with any cost, there needs to be reason behind the naming. 
  • Everyone has an opinion
  • I just want Predator to be what I have invisioned in my head. When you have Rogue/Ranger and the name for it is Predator. Oh yeah, you know what daddy wants Steven.
  • Xombie said:
    Everyone has an opinion

nagash said:
    It's a new world with new magic and classes so why not have new names to stand out from the rest of the fanasty games on the market right now.
        Indeed!  New game,  new magic, new world, so why not have a new perspective and go with the game master's plans for the game he wants to build for us to enjoy?
    It takes imagination to plan and develop.  It also takes imagination to become immersed in a fantasy world.  What happened to everyone's imagination?

•      What happened to everyone's imagination?
    Thats the question you really should point to devs.
    Xombie said:
    Everyone has an opinion

nagash said:
        Indeed!  New game,  new magic, new world, so why not have a new perspective and go with the game master's plans for the game he wants to build for us to enjoy?
    It takes imagination to plan and develop.  It also takes imagination to become immersed in a fantasy world.  What happened to everyone's imagination?
    It would be nice to have new names, but it is still different to use new innoative and less used names than weird word combinations. So imo there is no need to praise names, which more like breaks the immersion than creates any. If devs leaves the imagination part to players, that would mean devs could always go behind that even the feature would be totally shit.

"But i dont want to be a spellstone or soulbow.." 
      "Shut up sonny, those are great names, you just lack of imagination!" 

New game, new magic, new world, new classes, new races.. oh wait. ;-) 

• Telonius said:
    with the exception of the overuse of the words "spell" and "night" why is there so much class hate on what are generally stereotypical archetype names. . . strider, scryers, scions. . . I've seen these names across all sorts of American and JRPG's, and still it seems we've collectively forgotten all previous uses to chastise intrepid. it seems to me as though unless you are wanting to be a paladin, battle mage, or necromancer the name is hated and that automatically means the class will be shit on a shingle further more i see ridiculous reasoning behind the hate or even just not giving a reason and assuming everyone knows why we should all hate archetype x (cough* highswords and scouts *cough) i'm just as interested in immersion as the next guy but i want to play the game intrepid studios wants to make; not the game the forums bellyache into.

TLDR: what's with the class hate, don't we wanna see the game steven had in mind?
    So my thoughts are:
    -1 Spelling
    -1 Grammar
    -1 Easy to Read
    +1 Content
    +2 for use of the phrase "shit on a shingle"

Total score = 0
  • Lets just give every class a single name with current logic and combi all from there.
    • Fighter = Blade
    • Tank = Stone
    • Rogue = Shadow
    • Ranger = Arrow
    • Mage = Spell
    • Summoner = Mancer
    • Cleric = High
    • Bard = Song
    I think i want to play Bard/Tank, that would be Songstone. Nice.
  • Ferryman said:
    Lets just give every class a single name with current logic and combi all from there.
    • Fighter = Blade
    • Tank = Stone
    • Rogue = Shadow
    • Ranger = Arrow
    • Mage = Spell
    • Summoner = Mancer
    • Cleric = High
    • Bard = Song
    Songstone has a nice ring to it!

edited May 2018
    It's kind of amusing to see people finding things to hate in alpha 0 stage...
  • Ferryman said:
    Lets just give every class a single name with current logic and combi all from there.
    • Fighter = Blade
    • Tank = Stone
    • Rogue = Shadow
    • Ranger = Arrow
    • Mage = Spell
    • Summoner = Mancer
    • Cleric = High
    • Bard = Song
    And tank/bard: Stonesong lol
  • Ferryman said:
    • Fighter = Blade
    • Tank = Stone
    • Rogue = Shadow
    • Ranger = Arrow
    • Mage = Spell
    • Summoner = Mancer
    • Cleric = High
    • Bard = Song
    Please do this so I can make a Tank/Cleric and a Cleric/Tank and name them Cheech and Chong.