Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Potion gun potential!!!!

I was so excited when they made the announcement for the potion gun. He mentioned it would be like a rail gun and the imagination just takes off from there.

My guild master even pointed out the possibilities of the potion gun being 2 handed and 1 handed for duel wielding. This braught me to thinking about wild star online and thier spell slinger class.

I was thinking it could be possible to make a mesmer like mage that duel wields potion guns, would be amazing.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• It won't be like a railgun I am sure. Pretty sure Bacon was just joking around. I am curious as to how it will work though.
  • Pinkberry said:

My guild master even pointed out the possibilities of the potion gun being 2 handed and 1 handed for duel wielding. 
    Assuming it makes it in to the game, it will almost certainly be place in the ranged slot.

The following is all speculation...

To me, it seems like a mechanic to allow all players a base level of healing ability, a base level of DPS and a base level of utility. If a player uses a potion launcher with a healing potion, they are able to heal over a reasonably long range, even if that healing is significantly less powerful than a healers.

If the player uses a damaging potion, then they obviously gain a damaging attack that can be used at range and potentially even be an AoE. This would also allow players to change the damage type of this ranged attack by changing the potion (fire, poison, acid etc).

If the player then uses a tar or grease potion, they suddenly have a ranged slow or trip in their arsenal. 

They could also add potions to cure players of specific effect types from other players, or remove DoT's from other players.

Basically, to me, it seems like a mechanic where a player can use a potion on a player other than them self, or on a mob. This would mean it's usefulness is tied directly to the usefulness of alchemy potions.
  • Well I imagined the potion launcher attacks will act more like some grenade launcher with different potions to use other than offensive type potions. Either way if it attacks like a grenade launcher I'm getting some "Winter Soldier" vibes and I am going for a character that acts like him.
  • Honestly ... i was just hoping that they'll be a limited number of Potions one can carry on themselves at a Time. Potions can be alot more than just Restoring HP & Mana

They could be " Pocket-Magic "
  • I am not actually sure if this potion launcher feels innoative or just weird.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited May 2018
    This potion gun seems extremely out of place for me...
  • This potion gun seems extremely out of place for me...
    especially when they stated there would be no guns in ashes 
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited May 2018
    The quote is no gunpowder based weapons.

[42:31] Gunpowder?

1. Matt really wants to play a Gunslinger in the Pathfinder RPG .
      1. Nope, banned.
    2. Can’t see gunpowder being a thing.
      1. Want to avoid mechanization.
      2. More magical, less technology.
      3. Guns don’t really fit.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_8HoPU6HGw

• The quote is no gunpowder based weapons.

That still leaves it open to magic guns like magelocks that use mana to fire
  • UnknownSystemError said:.
      1. Guns don’t really fit.

Well I am now very confused 
  • Well, since they haven't called it a "potion gun", but a potion launcher we can feel safe that whether it is gun or gunpowder it still falls within the scope of Stevens vision of more magic, less tech. I guess we could call a bow an "arrow gun" if we wanted to really go for it.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/images/0/08/Weapon_concept_art_by_Jeff_Delierre_33m56.png

• Well, since they haven't called it a "potion gun", but a potion launcher we can feel safe that whether it is gun or gunpowder it still falls within the scope of Stevens vision of more magic, less tech. I guess we could call a bow an "arrow gun" if we wanted to really go for it.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/images/0/08/Weapon_concept_art_by_Jeff_Delierre_33m56.png

Oh so its not called a potion gun well that where I got confused 
  • Sorry thats my fault,  i said potion gun instead of launcher. MB.

i imagine that it will not need ammunition and the enchantments or stats will effect what the dmg or buff/debuff abilities will be.
  • Don't worry Pinkberry its my fault for not double checking the facts
  • When I saw the potion launcher I thought about the Alchemist class in Ragnarok online. They could throw various potions at party members to heal them, or buff them (it used potions form your inventory). But since alchemist is a profession and not a class in AoC, I'm curious how it will be balanced. I interested to see what they do with it.
  • Ohh yess i cant wait to see if they make it 1 handed or 2 handed or both. I just imagine using a dark potion themed gun and shooting others with annoying debuffs.
  • Pinkberry said:
    Ohh yess i cant wait to see if they make it 1 handed or 2 handed or both.
    It will be neither.

It will go in the ranged weapon slot.
  • This potion gun seems extremely out of place for me...
    ^
  • Noaani said:
    Pinkberry said:
    It will be neither.

You know i can accept that, as long as i can have a potion launcher life is good. 

Now im just wondering if its gonna be centered around for debuffs at long range or cc based.
  • Pinkberry said:
    Noaani said:
    Pinkberry said:
    It will be neither.

You know i can accept that, as long as i can have a potion launcher life is good. 

Now im just wondering if its gonna be centered around for debuffs at long range or cc based.
    Why not also buffs, heals or damage? If this needs to be a thing, then imo making it enough different from other ranged weapons would be best solution. 
  • I just agree!!!!!!
  • nagash said:
    Wouldn't it technically be a slingshot or a crossbow, with just a bigger projectile?

In the same way we call a "rubber band gun" a gun, which is just tension around a wooden notched and rotating pinwheel.

I imagine there's a very limited amount of potions someone can carry anyhow.
    If you launched a healing potion, but hit an enemy - would that mean you just potion healed an enemy?
  • Ohh i think at some point they said there wouldn't be an ammo system. 
  • Caelron said:
    nagash said:
    Wouldn't it technically be a slingshot or a crossbow, with just a bigger projectile?

In the same way we call a "rubber band gun" a gun, which is just tension around a wooden notched and rotating pinwheel.

If you launched a healing potion, but hit an enemy - would that mean you just potion healed an enemy?
    If that's the case then its fine but we will not know until we see it properly 
  • Caelron said:
    nagash said:

The only reference to it that we have so far, it is called a potion launcher, not a potion gun. Of the three pictures, one definitely has what looks like a crossbow string - one of the others though looks like it kind of sprays potion rather than fires it.

With carry limits being based on weight as much as anything else, I can see players being able to carry quite a few potions. 

The ability for potion launchers to heal enemies leads to far too much potential exploitation, imo.