Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

What Kind of Combat Would You Like to See by Release?

As the title suggests, I'm interested in seeing what people's opinions are on how you would like to see the combat in this game be handled. Combat is such a key part of gameplay that it needs to appeal to a very large number of players, so I'd just like to see if there is some general consensus that can be reached.

There are many other MMO's out there with many different styles of combat. Using them as reference, we have the ability to pick apart what makes combat a fun and enriching experience. In some cases, well-made combat is able to make up for a lot of flaws in the game, and help retain a playerbase even if the game itself is lacking (looking at you, BDO). But, since AoC is obviously going to be perfect in every conceivable way (xd), we just want combat to be just as perfect as the rest of the game.

Anyway, personally, I am a fan of BDO combat in regards to the combo-based system. I don't think we need AoC to be quite as dynamic as BDO, as AoC isn't meant to be quite as stylized. But I feel like there should be a pretty high skillcap so that it's a bit more than just memorizing a rotation of spells or abilities. But, at the same time, we don't want to alienate non-Hardcore players who can't spend hours or days practicing and memorizing various combinations. 

It would be fun if combos could trigger unique abilities or spells that could be unlocked or discovered. For example, if a mage casts a water-based AoE ability, then uses an ice spell on the enemy inside, the enemy is frozen/slowed for a period. Or for melee characters, the position/momentum of your weapon can affect how quickly your next ability takes place, as well as possibly some bonus/reduced damage from differing amounts of force. It's not exactly easy to implement, but it would be realistic and unique.

I guess I'm basically saying that combat should be easy to learn, hard to master. Not exactly the most original of ideas, but there are a lot of different ways to approach that from, and I'm interested in hearing what you guys have to say about it :)

tl;dr: Basically a longer version of the title

- Sikuba

Comments

• The combat that let me sit back and drink tea while my minions do the work for me. What you don't expect me to get my hand filly in your blood.
  • nagash said:
    The combat that let me sit back and drink tea while my minions do the work for me. What you don't expect me to get my hand filly in your blood.
    Fair enough :joy:

But perhaps you would be able to appreciate the ability to have better, more precise control of your undead minions as a Necromancer. Poorly designed controls and minion AI would weaken them, and could possibly force you to go so far as to defend yourself. I'd imagine that that would be unacceptable.

- Sikuba

On an unrelated note, I bet you're excite- no - satisfied that Overlord 3 is coming out this July. I definitely am.
  • Sikuba said:
    nagash said:
    The combat that let me sit back and drink tea while my minions do the work for me. What you don't expect me to get my hand filly in your blood.
    Fair enough :joy:

But perhaps you would be able to appreciate the ability to have better, more precise control of your undead minions as a Necromancer. Poorly designed controls and minion AI would weaken them, and could possibly force you to go so far as to defend yourself. I'd imagine that that would be unacceptable.

- Sikuba

On an unrelated note, I bet you're excite- no - satisfied that Overlord 3 is coming out this July. I definitely am.
    You would be correct flesh bag, but if it comes to that, I have a fair amount of tricks in my rib cage. As for the new season of overlord, I an looking forward to it but I've read the books up to book twelve, so I know the story already ^^
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited May 2018
    I think of the perfect combat as a reactive synchronised dance between two or more people, a battle of wits and counterplay, using the environment as leverage. Just as much about your movement and control of the battlefield. Using the right skills at the right time in the right place against the right adversary.

Rather than a preemptive ambush & rotation spam where the opponent doesnt really matter & combat entails nothing more than which build has the fastest TTK.
  • I like reactive/timing combat way better than combo; repeating the same combos over and over gets old fast for me, barely made it 2 weeks in DC Universe.  That said, it would be great if different classes/weapons has massively different feels, so you could get people with way different combat interests involved in the same game.
  • As long as I don't have to press a specific sequence of abilities all the time I don't mind what it will be in the long run.
  • Kebtiz said:
    I like reactive/timing combat way better than combo; repeating the same combos over and over gets old fast for me, barely made it 2 weeks in DC Universe.  That said, it would be great if different classes/weapons has massively different feels, so you could get people with way different combat interests involved in the same game.
    I get what you're saying with combos being repetitive and such. I agree to an extent, and I would also like to see some reaction-based abilities. My personal opinion on combos is that they should be more than just which abilities give the highest damage output when combined - they should be situational and require a good understanding of your opponent and the flow of battle in order to be used properly.
  • If you are interested in how Steven envisions combos working out and their plan for them, give this a watch. He goes into detail about the combo system and how different players will be able to use different strategies to react to situations with others in their party to create some unusual effects.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg2l6DJgHV0

• Non-targeting action combat with medium pace and lots of skill shots. 
  • More Action-Combat. But not AoE Spam. 
    • Specifically, at least more Action-Combat movement abilities
    • Action-Combat moves that'll initiate in other directions of the Victim and/or the User ... but the core-theme/ overall abilities will be based on the Archetypes - both Primary & Secondary
    • With the above bulletin in mind, introducing Hitboxes that'll  ... " play with the physics "  ( something i thought of for the Bard but ... ) In other words, having Action-Combat have some " technical " / (some) Hardcore skill too
    • FreeForm-less Abilities i.e. not needing a Target, not needing to be a .certain range and/or parameter to ... " meet the requirements " of SOME abilities
    • ( the above based on Archetypes ) 
    Now, I'm not for full Action-combat, but i know that Tab-Targetting for Long-range will be a cake-wake ... will literally make it too easy to play as Ranger/ Mage or any Long-Range Class. 

I just want to see more Action-Combat and less Tab-Targetting atm 
  • Some action combat is okay, but Tab-Targeting is necessary, too.  Face it, not all of us are 19 y.o. kids with twitchy reflexes any more, and ms reaction times just aren't going to happen.  If you HAVE to have that, go play Overwatch.  I want to be able to enjoy the game not stress out over every nanosecond timing move made just to stay alive.

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited May 2018
    My ideal idea for combat is:
    1. Tab/click selection for individual targets but also area / ground selection. A mix of both.
    2. Rich set of abilities to chose from.
    3. Medium pace - meaning not too hectic action combat, but not too slow either. The goal is reacting to other player's actions in time, but not too slowly. Counter attacks and defending is so much fun.
    4. Then combos. If you have the above item then you can also mix effects. Its two sides of the same coin. You can enhance fire with fire - or turn it off with water - just as a silly example.

GW2 for instance promised most of the above, but turned out to be too slow in that regard. Not reactive enough. And didn't allow a real mixture of abilities. Or enough abilities.

Just my 2cp.
  • I want the best kind of combat !!
  • I want the best kind of combat !!
    you mean the type where you sit back with a cup of tea and let your minions fight? If you do then I am 100% behind that
  • I want the combat that lets me win!