Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Guild size

I am of the mind that guild size should not be large. In fact in a game like AoC where theres constant conflict, I suggest a guild size of 100-120 people. I know it sounds insane but in a server of 10,000 (idk exact server numbers) instead of having 10 guilds, why not have up to 100? 

Benefits:
-Less people means easier organization. Makes for less work for guild leaders and doesn't stress them out too much (after all it is just a game)
- More diplomacy and negotiation and backstabbing rather than "im bigger so imma fuck ur shit up"
- More meaningful conflict. Granted potential conflict is smaller scaled than a 1000 man guild vs a 1000 man guild, there are still node sieges to make up for that and no one said you can't be talking to 10 guilds at the same time. I know ashes wants meaningful combat and not just win every fight with numbers, but if one side brings 10 guilds to a fight and the other only brought 2 well then tough luck. < Next time people will consider how many allies to have 
- Far less dominance of guilds in a given server. Never allows for one side to have too much power and always a chance for equalized competition. 
- Makes zerging on a caravan harder. (Granted it should already be hard enough)
- Easier to keep track of guild members and allows for more friendlier community. Not just "ill try to join this guild cuz theyre the strongest and biggest". 

Just what i can think of right now. If you have any issue or negatives feel free to point them out. I simply can't stand dominance through sheer numbers in an mmo. 

Comments

• This is the discord quote we have for what the max number of people in a guild will most likely fall around. There are other livestream answers out there also where Steven hasn't deviated from around this number. They are planning a complex system of guild leveling and rewards that will focus benefits to people who keep smaller, tighter guilds vs large, mega guilds filled with alts and zergs. There is nothing to stop guilds of 100 banding together to form a single guild of 1000, but they are going to have to work for it, and trying to get mmo gamers beyond a handful to agree on a common goal for anything for any length of time is like herding cats. The cats go where the fuck they want. The large mega guilds you see in other games exist for a reason, making RL money through currency selling and RMT. If you remove the mechanics that make running a guild profitable outside the game, they collapse into their smaller social components pretty quickly.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited April 2018
    Still feels a little big. i'd rather cut it at 200. Welp not my choice tho 
  • From a roleplay standpoint, I like how guilds evolve along with you as it would in a fantasy universe I mean guild don't just pop up at max power from the start
  • Would you consider combat and artisan guild size differently ?
    Going by what unkownsystemerror said you have to level up your guild and put points into a skill tree of some sort. So guilds will come with different benefits and population size is one of the things you can put points into. Or at least thats what i understand
  • 250 sounds kind of a lot, but in other hand there will be a lot of ALTs at some point.. ALT guilds are also easy to make so.. damn i am not sure, but i know that i prefer calm numbers over zergs.  ;)
    Going by what unkownsystemerror said you have to level up your guild and put points into a skill tree of some sort. So guilds will come with different benefits and population size is one of the things you can put points into. Or at least thats what i understand
    Yep, from an earlier livestream he basically said that you will have a set number of points that you can throw in the guild "trees." You can choose to put points in the population tree, but that will then limit you on how many points you can put in other guild perk trees. So you can have your alt guild of 300, they just won't have the same power curve that a smaller guild that decided to go up another tree will have. Similar to what they have stated for the artisan system. You can spread your points among gathering, processing, and crafting and be a jack-of-all-trades crafter that never gets to specialize in the higher stuff, or you can put all your points in gathering and be able to harvest the absolute top tier stuff.
  • I am quite pleased with the capacity, it isn't too large and it isn't too small, it just right! #Goldilocks

• 250 to 300 is a good size. I mean aoc wants to encourage large battles plus 40 man raids....out of 300 members in a guild id bet it be rare that even 50 are online at once.
  • I am of the mind that guild size should not be large. In fact in a game like AoC where theres constant conflict, I suggest a guild size of 100-120 people. I know it sounds insane but in a server of 10,000 (idk exact server numbers) instead of having 10 guilds, why not have up to 100? 

Benefits:
    -Less people means easier organization. Makes for less work for guild leaders and doesn't stress them out too much (after all it is just a game)
    - More diplomacy and negotiation and backstabbing rather than "im bigger so imma fuck ur shit up"
    - More meaningful conflict. Granted potential conflict is smaller scaled than a 1000 man guild vs a 1000 man guild, there are still node sieges to make up for that and no one said you can't be talking to 10 guilds at the same time. I know ashes wants meaningful combat and not just win every fight with numbers, but if one side brings 10 guilds to a fight and the other only brought 2 well then tough luck. < Next time people will consider how many allies to have 
    - Far less dominance of guilds in a given server. Never allows for one side to have too much power and always a chance for equalized competition. 
    - Makes zerging on a caravan harder. (Granted it should already be hard enough)
    - Easier to keep track of guild members and allows for more friendlier community. Not just "ill try to join this guild cuz theyre the strongest and biggest". 

Just what i can think of right now. If you have any issue or negatives feel free to point them out. I simply can't stand dominance through sheer numbers in an mmo. 
    I find too many guilds will make the whole point of those nodes pointless. I feel there should be few guilds so when we do fight over something we all on the same page rather than a one guild leader try to convince other guild leader to join a fight to protect a node etc.. 

i feel there should be max number of guild allowed in the game . 

• I find too many guilds will make the whole point of those nodes pointless. I feel there should be few guilds so when we do fight over something we all on the same page rather than a one guild leader try to convince other guild leader to join a fight to protect a node etc.. 

i feel there should be max number of guild allowed in the game . 
    Well making max numbers of guilds will be problematic. Firstable not all guilds are created in game. There is a lot of premaid gaming communities, which wants to play with their own members and dont want to be forced merge with others. And it can be based on main language and experience before, so it has nothing to do with discrimination. 

Also i cant see why IS would want situation where new players and communities who are entering the game later, to not have chance to start a new guild. That is good way to push people out of the game. 

Players does not need to be in few mega guilds, because that is why alliances are for. Guilds can be in same alliance with several guilds and that way communication is easily done via alliance level (for example in situation of node protection). So we can leave that communication worry to players. If we have enough tools for that, i dont see why we could not handle these kind of situations by ourself. 
  • 250-300 is alot, but it is alot just big enough for really popular and organized clans to get things done in this player driven world.  Also bear in mind that a good portion of every clan also is made up of the alts.