Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Corruption timer?

How will it work? If I kill a bunch of people and go offline for an hour and come back as a normal citizen and kill again and rince and repeat? And as a corrupt player can I take sanctuary in cities/villages?  Also, what information do we have on the ways you can reduce your corruption meters and how fast? Say I kill a bunch of defenseless people in a cave because there taking potential loot and then continue my quest in the cave and complete it. Would that be considered as a noble cause and reduce my corruption level? Any ideas on corruption cooldowns? As I understand, the world is going to be big and people could take advantage of this style of play.

Comments

• I'm not sure but hope that this might help.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Corruption
  • Going offline does not get rid of corruption. The only way to get rid of corruption that we currently know about is to get killed. There have been hints of there being other ways, but we have not heard enough to confirm anything. Corrupt players will not find refuge in cities. We do not know how fast corruption gets reduced when you die. Killing a bunch of defenseless people will get you a bunch of corruption if they do not fight back. As far as we know, you continuing that quest chain will not reduce your corruption. We have heard nothing about a corruption "cooldown". I am not sure what you mean by that.
    The corruption system has been designed so that being corrupted is disadvantageous. The more corrupt you are the less effective you are in PVP. When you die corrupted you take 3-4 times the death penalty and have a chance to drop gear. A person would need a really good reason to go corrupt.
  • @UnknownSystemError drop some knowledge, dad!
  • Xombie said:
    @UnknownSystemError drop some knowledge, dad!
    So far the only confirmed mechanic for getting rid of corruption is death to another player through pvp actions. <Speculation>There have been hints that they are looking at other ways of removal, but just being able to park your character afk in a "safe" area is not one of them, and you can bet that any such system to speed the removal will be just as punishing either through currency loss or time sink.
  • Xombie said:
    So far the only confirmed mechanic for getting rid of corruption is death to another player through pvp actions. <Speculation>There have been hints that they are looking at other ways of removal, but just being able to park your character afk in a "safe" area is not one of them, and you can bet that any such system to speed the removal will be just as punishing either through currency loss or time sink.
    see this is why I like you so much no options or guesswork only cold hard facts ^^
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited May 2018
    It's possible to work off Corruption.
    We don't know the details of what that will entail, but it won't merely be a timer which allows people to log off and wait for the expiration.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14luppZ3Ub8jmcw_aK65QWxYY4xa8qAo9zRfpYWBxOXE/edit
    This Corruption Score can be worked off with effort through a few mechanics, but the primary means of getting rid of it is through death.
  • Well, it does appear that there is a time component to it according to the wiki that AutumnLeaf linked. It is sourced with this citation...

So it sounds like they are planning some amount of corruption decrease over time, varying with your location. Hopefully we can't just camp and wait it out.

I'm curious what other systems they're considering besides death and time. I can imagine countless interesting ways, but any mechanic is bound to be controversial.
    edited May 2018
    Wayfaring said:
    Well, it does appear that there is a time component to it according to the wiki that AutumnLeaf linked. It is sourced with this citation...

So it sounds like they are planning some amount of corruption decrease over time, varying with your location. Hopefully we can't just camp and wait it out.

I'm curious what other systems they're considering besides death and time. I can imagine countless interesting ways, but any mechanic is bound to be controversial.
    Go back and look at that conversation in context. People were suggesting different ways that they could implement ways to get rid of corruption. His Yes was an agreement that there are many different ways they could look at doing it, not that there will be a timer. He clarified himself later.

"Now this corruption value stays with you until you die."
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Fvr9KYT104i8WYppCup1v6SUTZFJTobVz8uRHDas4YM/edit
  • Ah! Thanks for the clarification. I should probably join the discord myself! :)
  • nagash said:
    Xombie said:
    see this is why I like you so much no options or guesswork only cold hard facts ^^
    That is why i have been wondering, that he might be a forum BOT.. :D
  • Knowing corruption has a chance to make one drop gear upon death, does anyone know of these numbers? I obviously will be killing people and with good reason mind you, but i wouldn't want to be corrupted at a very low level and still have a chance of dropping gear, that sounds real crappy.

Like say i kill a guy and have the lowest possible corruption score and my gear drop rate is 1% chance. On the off chance i'm real unlucky and actually drop something good upon death it'd suck real bad. So basically should there be any gear drop chances at low corruption levels is what i'm asking?.
  • >Speculation as no real numbers have been released and won't be till testing>Think of corruption on a point system. While they have not clarified the number of points you would need in corruption to have a chance of dropping/destroying gear, it has been stated to be high. Something that would occur after multiple kills. Say one kill of someone flagged green gives you a 1000 points. At 1000 points you have some stat decrease, but not crippling. Someone finds you and kills you while corrupted. The corruption is cleared, you gain the exp penalty, and no chance of items dropping/destroyed. Now say you kill someone as a level 50 when they are level 10, you gain 4000 points of corruption. It takes multiple deaths, each incurring the exp debt, the first kill has a chance of dropping/destroying items. You are now at 3000 corruption and under the drop chance. You get killed a few more times. You need to grind out that exp loss because now your stat reduction due to exp debt is crippling, not allowing you to be effective in pvp until resolved. And for the final. You go on a murderhobo tour and max out corruption, accruing more stat reduction with each kill. It will take you a significant time sink to remove all the exp debt and until you fall under the "cap" your chance of item loss is great.

TL:DR. Minimal, unless you murderhobo.
  • Knowing corruption has a chance to make one drop gear upon death, does anyone know of these numbers? I obviously will be killing people and with good reason mind you, but i wouldn't want to be corrupted at a very low level and still have a chance of dropping gear, that sounds real crappy.

Like say i kill a guy and have the lowest possible corruption score and my gear drop rate is 1% chance. On the off chance i'm real unlucky and actually drop something good upon death it'd suck real bad. So basically should there be any gear drop chances at low corruption levels is what i'm asking?.
    With this logic.. Maybe your target should not drop resources either, because it feels real crappy to him/her. And 1% drop rate is actually a joke. It means that averagely you drop something one time of hundred deaths. Also who runs ganking people with good gear? Wear what you can afford to loose and you are fine. ;-) 
  • It's interesting to consider what items will be potentially lost. It's probably preferable that it be potentially anything in the inventory, not just equipped gear. That way we aren't compelled to constantly change gear when corrupted, and moreover so that we can reduce the incidence rate of crazy naked people in the streets running from bounty hunters. Ideally, looted items would always be something valuable too so as to be of genuine consequence. Some kind of minimum item quality for loot might be a good idea, so that the corrupted don't just pack their inventories with lots of cheap trash as loot fodder. I'd be game for harsher penalties if killed by a bounty hunter. Heck, throw some extra item decay in there too. I'm not scared. ;)
    edited May 2018
    Are pies corrupt?  >:)
  • I have a hunch that this kind of game play will be mostly done against harvesters who go out in the wilderness to gather herbs etc...  Those people will have a niche area in the world where specific nodes grant lots of crafting materials to harvest. Therefore, as as a PVP'er and ways to make gold in game, I might be tempted to hunt in those areas where a crafter has been gathering goods for hours and strike him down for a 1 time kill and get all of his/her resources that he piled up in his/her inventory. 

Maybe the kill is well worth the gold, and use the time sink to fight the corruption and sell what you looted for a decent amount of gold. Because the way I see it, nobody wants to gank someone just for the hell of it. There has to be some kind of a reward associated with it because why get corrupted if your game play is going to be hindered? 

Most people come online and they have an objective for the play session. Either grind XP, gold, materials etc... If your corrupted, you will slow your grinds, unless you purely going to play as a pirate and live a life of corruption on a specific toon. So potentially, If i'm maxed leveled and wear crappy gear and research areas to kill other players who are harvesting material, I can literally find a guild with like minded players who can accommodate me with my stolen goods and let me sell my stuff on the market. And those players within the guild can provide me cover for a pirate life. 

Now, how much gold I can make per day on this kind of a game play is something that people are going to be testing out on the years ahead after the game is out. Maybe it would be possible to have a corrupted player be defended by a non-corrupted player in the same guild from a bounty hunter until he can escape and split the loot after? 
  • Valerian said:
    I have a hunch that this kind of game play will be mostly done against harvesters who go out in the wilderness to gather herbs etc...  Those people will have a niche area in the world where specific nodes grant lots of crafting materials to harvest. Therefore, as as a PVP'er and ways to make gold in game, I might be tempted to hunt in those areas where a crafter has been gathering goods for hours and strike him down for a 1 time kill and get all of his/her resources that he piled up in his/her inventory. 

Maybe the kill is well worth the gold, and use the time sink to fight the corruption and sell what you looted for a decent amount of gold. Because the way I see it, nobody wants to gank someone just for the hell of it. There has to be some kind of a reward associated with it because why get corrupted if your game play is going to be hindered? 

Most people come online and they have an objective for the play session. Either grind XP, gold, materials etc... If your corrupted, you will slow your grinds, unless you purely going to play as a pirate and live a life of corruption on a specific toon. So potentially, If i'm maxed leveled and wear crappy gear and research areas to kill other players who are harvesting material, I can literally find a guild with like minded players who can accommodate me with my stolen goods and let me sell my stuff on the market. And those players within the guild can provide me cover for a pirate life. 

Now, how much gold I can make per day on this kind of a game play is something that people are going to be testing out on the years ahead after the game is out. Maybe it would be possible to have a corrupted player be defended by a non-corrupted player in the same guild from a bounty hunter until he can escape and split the loot after? 
    As I understand it, the only player looting that will occur will be from the corpses of the corrupted, with an increasing chance to drop any item as they gain more corruption.

A more likely scenario for harvesters really being under continuous threat is if they are harvesting in a place that another competitive community deems to be off-limits to them for whatever reason. On top of that, we don't really know how harvesting will work yet, but they've mentioned automated harvesting facilities within your ZOI. Those facilities would presumably only be threatened when under siege.
  • Wayfaring said:
    Valerian said:
    I have a hunch that this kind of game play will be mostly done against harvesters who go out in the wilderness to gather herbs etc...  Those people will have a niche area in the world where specific nodes grant lots of crafting materials to harvest. Therefore, as as a PVP'er and ways to make gold in game, I might be tempted to hunt in those areas where a crafter has been gathering goods for hours and strike him down for a 1 time kill and get all of his/her resources that he piled up in his/her inventory. 

As I understand it, the only player looting that will occur will be from the corpses of the corrupted, with an increasing chance to drop any item as they gain more corruption.

A more likely scenario for harvesters really being under continuous threat is if they are harvesting in a place that another competitive community deems to be off-limits to them for whatever reason. On top of that, we don't really know how harvesting will work yet, but they've mentioned automated harvesting facilities within your ZOI. Those facilities would presumably only be threatened when under siege.
    Dieing purple is your baseline resource/exp debt loss. We don't know the % yet .

Dieing green you drop twice the amount of resources and exp debt compared to purple. 

Dieing red gives you more exp debt than green but resource % hasn't been addressed yet. High levels of corruption cause a potential to lose gear as well. 

• Argentdawn said:

Dieing purple is your baseline resource/exp debt loss. We don't know the % yet .

Dieing green you drop twice the amount of resources and exp debt compared to purple. 

Dieing red gives you more exp debt than green but resource % hasn't been addressed yet. High levels of corruption cause a potential to lose gear as well. 
    Hmm.. do you have a source for that? This is the first I'd heard of separate drop mechanics for resources, and it's not detailed as such on the wikis. I'm still really new here, so I'm not necessarily well-versed on the best sources of revealed info. Searching old discord chat on this topic is a bit troublesome too, as the relevant terms are rather generic. 
  • Wayfaring said:
    Argentdawn said:

Hmm.. do you have a source for that? This is the first I'd heard of separate drop mechanics for resources, and it's not detailed as such on the wikis. I'm still really new here, so I'm not necessarily well-versed on the best sources of revealed info. Searching old discord chat on this topic is a bit troublesome too, as the relevant terms are rather generic. 
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Player_death
  • Zastro said:
    Oi! This game has too many wikis! :smile:

So, yeah, I checked the sourcing on that, and it refers to a podcast interview from a year ago. I went ahead and watched the cited question response, and it doesn't say anything at all about resources being dropped as a death penalty. The questioner mentions stealing resources, which is why the wiki contributor maybe thought it was a thing, but here is Steven's full response in regards to death penalties:

“Our flagging mechanic revolves around, basically, you know, death penalties in general, like what kind of death penalties occur in the game. And while you cannot delevel from dying, you can accrue negative experience, and this experience debt reflects certain penalties that you’ll experience from a combat effectiveness both in PvE and PvP: stat degradation, lowered health and mana, less proficiency in gear equipment, and being able to do things. The more you accrue, the more difficult it will be to perform, which is why through death you need to recover that negative experience, and you can do that by continuing to adventure, do quests, practically what you were going to do in the game. If you die as a non-combatant, you’re going to experience a normal death penalty. If you die as a combatant, you will experience less death penalties. If you die as a corrupted player, a person who has murdered a non-combatant, someone that was not participating in PvP with you, then you’re going to experience three or four times the death penalties. We want to obviously give players the opportunity to exercise some agency in the open world, but there has to be some risk vs. reward, and if you’re going to go around murdering someone, you’re going to become completely ineffective over time if you just continue to do it. Furthermore, if you are a corrupt player, and you’re killing other players, people who want to track you down, that have that bounty hunter status, you know, which is going to be a toggleable skill with a cooldown associated with it, so you don’t go back and forth to try to find them and, you know, you’re not susceptible to attacks on them, they can go out there and they can track down these murderers, and they can kill them, and in addition to the death penalty, if you’re corrupt, you will have the ability to drop your gear, your actual gear, if you’re corrupt. So there’s again risk vs. reward. We want to deter people from making the game a gank box. It’s not going to be a gank box. It’s not going to be a murder box just from the stringent deterrence of our corruption system and flagging system. I know it won’t be. I played similar games that had similar flagging systems, and it wasn’t that gank box. At the same time, we mean to incentivize players to have that meaningful conflict. We’re unabashed about that aspect.”

The word "resources" never even crossed his lips.
    edited May 2018
    Hm, well I know for a fact that he has said that we do drop resources. I guess I will have to dig a little deeper.

Or if our friendly neighborhood @UnknownSystemError would be so kind...
  • Found one place, so far, where he said it.
    http://www.mmogames.com/gamearticles/interview-ashes-of-creation-wants-bring-virtual-world-life/
    About half way down the page Steven said:
    "In any case, all this comes to a head via death penalties. A Non-Combatant who dies suffers normal penalties, which includes experience debt, durability loss, as well as dropping a portion of carried raw materials (which can then be looted). A Combatant who dies suffers these same penalties, but at half the Non-Combatant rate. A character who has a Corruption Score on the other hand, suffers penalties at three times the rate of a Non-Combatant, and has a chance to drop *any* carried/equipped items based on their current Corruption Score."
  • Zastro said:
    Hm, well I know for a fact that he has said that we do drop resources. I guess I will have to dig a little deeper.

Question: Do you have a percentage of materials will drop upon death, because we’ve had some discussion in here about people that are out farming out in the world trying to accrue a certain amount of mats for something and if someone comes by and kills then they are worried about losing all if not most of those mats.

Steven: SO mats, gatherables, resources, they all have associated weights. And in order to accommodate for our regionalized marketplaces, our regionalized caravan system, that would require the transit of goods to utilize through that mechanic, the caravan mechanic, you can only carry so much. You can only carry so many things. And if you die while carrying a certain number of things, you will drop a percentage of those things based on the state in which you die. So if you die as a combatant you will drop the least amount, if you die as a non combatant, you will drop the normal amount and if you die as a corrupted player you will drop almost probably everything. We haven't decided for sure about that.

• Zastro said:

Question: Do you have a percentage of materials will drop upon death, because we’ve had some discussion in here about people that are out farming out in the world trying to accrue a certain amount of mats for something and if someone comes by and kills then they are worried about losing all if not most of those mats.

Steven: SO mats, gatherables, resources, they all have associated weights. And in order to accommodate for our regionalized marketplaces, our regionalized caravan system, that would require the transit of goods to utilize through that mechanic, the caravan mechanic, you can only carry so much. You can only carry so many things. And if you die while carrying a certain number of things, you will drop a percentage of those things based on the state in which you die. So if you die as a combatant you will drop the least amount, if you die as a non combatant, you will drop the normal amount and if you die as a corrupted player you will drop almost probably everything. We haven't decided for sure about that.

Give the man a freehold 
    edited May 2018
    Yup, there it is in black and white. Thanks for finding that! That's an even older interview though. I wonder if their thoughts have evolved on the topic in the past year and a half. I can see arguments both in favor or against it, but Valerian's concerns would seem to be valid if it is implemented that way.

It's really more incentive than I need. Territorial control and baiting tactics are reasons enough for me to potentially engage, but I suppose it does provide motivation for the general player-base to transport their goods via protected caravan rather than in their personal inventories.

Truth be told, I'm more concerned about the griefing that might occur from NOT killing a player. Theoretically, a griefer with interruption abilities could just continually attack you without killing you so as to never acquire corruption but still impair your ability to harvest.

Edit note: This was response to Zastro, as I hadn't seen UnknownSystemError's comment yet when I hit post. Thanks for the link to the google doc!
  • I am going to go out on a speculation limb and say that it hasn't changed from what he has envisioned it to be. Why? Because we have absolutely no instances where they have changed a mechanic or policy once they have definitely stated it. The only time they ever caved to community pressure and offered the Summer Backing bit them in the ass so hard that you are definitely not going to see them roll over on a something they have planned as one of the pillars of their game. No matter how much bitching, polls, guild summits, or petitions on Change.org has ever gotten them to change stuff.
    Could he change his mind? Sure. Will he by giving conflicting signals to his development team that is task oriented rather than concept oriented at this time? I'm going to say no. But just like the rest of you, I am just some random internet thing that is typing stuff. Ultimately it comes down to one guy and what he wants. 
  • So according to the wiki notes, and assuming it's accurate (it's on the interwebs and it's a wiki so it has to be true), never get killed carrying resources and you'll inflict maximum damage to PKers. Not only would they loot nada, they would get corruption for killing you. Want to gather mats? Go in a group, silly crafters.
  • Or flag for combat before you die, then you would lose the least amount.  if I'm reading it correctly.
  • Just going to leave this here since I got an answer in the latest live stream.
    The question was: What are the other ways, besides death to get rid of corruption.
    their answer was(paraphrasing): So probably the only other alternate way is quests, religion-focused quests that allow the player to become part of the world again. They are a time sink and won't be quick or easy. Source

It doesn't look like time has anything to do with it, you can't wait it out, you either die enough times to get rid of the corruption or you do enough of the quests that allow you to get rid of it.