Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Does Alpha Zero screw us over?

I just read about the "Alpha Zero" that will be starting in December and is only available through weekly drawings. How does this not screw over every single person that bought a higher tier package that contained the access to first rounds of Alpha.

If that is true then why shouldn't all those people pull their money back out of the game?

Comments

• Here is how I have come to justify it in my mind. The key giveaway Alpha 0 and Beta 0 will be a limited experience similar to PAX. They will not have access to the full map and range of stuff that those in Alpha 1 will have. It is more of a dog and pony show to keep the hype built. Since it isn't the "full game" then they can word smith away and justify Alpha 1 as "earliest access to Ashes." Sort of like those playing the PVE/PVP demo at PAX are not getting "earliest access to Ashes."
  • The short answer is, no, Alpha Zero doesn't screw anyone over.

If you're just reading about this now, and you are surprised by it, that is unfortunate, but Alpha Zero is not a new thing.  Alpha Zero is a pet name adopted for what is really pre-alpha content.  It is not the same thing as Alpha One, which was part of the purchasable packages,  and it looks like there will be close to a year between Alpha Zero and Alpha One. 

• Alpha Zero is more like a limited demo of ashes of creation. The servers and world in Alpha Zero is by no means designed to be able to house. The Alpha Zero is best for a very low population and that is why they won't let us package buyers enter.
         Think of this as a test to make sure that the real first alpha works as intended.
  • Wraeven said:
    The short answer is, no, Alpha Zero doesn't screw anyone over.

If you're just reading about this now, and you are surprised by it, that is unfortunate, but Alpha Zero is not a new thing.  Alpha Zero is a pet name adopted for what is really pre-alpha content.  It is not the same thing as Alpha One, which was part of the purchasable packages,  and it looks like there will be close to a year between Alpha Zero and Alpha One. 

Also the Alpha 0 and Beta 0 will be for a limited time, and maybe even only encompass a series of weekends and then done. One of the good reasons they are putting it under NDA is to keep people from streaming it, and new people joining the hype train screaming all over the forums "OMG, the game looks like shit, did you just see what happened to those caravans, they can't even get the physics right!"
  • Wraeven said:
    The short answer is, no, Alpha Zero doesn't screw anyone over.

Was this explained before the kickstarter and i just missed it? or after they had collected peoples money?
  • u just missed it
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    I'm going to be brutal here, and take it as you will (which will probably be bad, but you need to hear this.)

THE WORLD DOESN'T CATER TO YOU.

If you are mad that you don't get into the first ever Alpha, too freaking bad.
    You have the same chance getting in as anyone else, so what's your issue? That you haven't been personally invited to Alpha 0 by Steven himself to be the "King of Alpha"?

• Where it says "Earliest Access to Ashes!" it's just a lie at this point.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2017
    deadhouse said:

Where it says "Earliest Access to Ashes!" it's just a lie at this point.
    Earliest offered in Kickstarter.

Also considering Alpha 0 will be a very limited part of the game, you won't get to really "play" until the later Alphas.

• I'm not too worried as it will be quite bare being Alpha Zero.  Something more substantial would be a better experience that will come later on.  Being first isn't always necessarily a good thing.
  • Here is how I have come to justify it in my mind. The key giveaway Alpha 0 and Beta 0 will be a limited experience similar to PAX. They will not have access to the full map and range of stuff that those in Alpha 1 will have. It is more of a dog and pony show to keep the hype built. Since it isn't the "full game" then they can word smith away and justify Alpha 1 as "earliest access to Ashes." Sort of like those playing the PVE/PVP demo at PAX are not getting "earliest access to Ashes."
    The point remains... i and others paid 500$ to get into the "EARLIEST access alpha" 

Now its not the earliest? Now others are given what we paid for ?

• Karthos said:
    deadhouse said:

Where it says "Earliest Access to Ashes!" it's just a lie at this point.
    Earliest offered in Kickstarter.

Also considering Alpha 0 will be a very limited part of the game, you won't get to really "play" until the later Alphas.

It doesnt say, earliest offered in KS... it says, "earliest access" period.. 
  • Sadly disappointed in how access is being communicated - wording matters and this is a case of 'splaining it away as inconsequential when it is in fact important to those who cared to carve away at their budgets to afford providing a costly promise of support in return for (no quotes required) earliest alpha access.

Many of us understand the limitations on an early alpha and the limited "play" available - that is what most of us signed on for. We know it wont be polished and perfected and we will be asked to offer support bugs and feedback and be patient as the game continues to grow and become more polished.

We are excited and this shouldn't result in our being dismissed for being excited - that only results in not so great release management and marketing protocol. This could be resolved by clear communication from Ashes on when and how they will make it right and open the doors for us to see the new world that is being created for us - even if in a limited state.

We are ready - we already made that pledge to you when we signed up to back this amazing game concept. Believe in us the way we believe in you.

We hold onto the promise that was given of Earliest Access - we are ready.
  • Big deal, get over iiiiiiiiiiit.