Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Corruption and equipment/durability loss

If dying while under corruption causes durability loss or loss of equipment, what is to keep a player from banking their gear and committing character suicide to avoid this loss? I have heard that there is also experience loss due to corruption, will this be a hefty deterrent or merely a slap on the wrist?

Comments

• I think you have to be killed by a person to get rid of corruption as killing yourself would not work. As for the exp loss, I don't think we have had any hard info on that as of yet but I guess it would not be much as it would defeat the idea of open pvp
  • I don't mean kill yourself exactly, but allow yourself to be killed while not wearing any equipment and with an empty inventory to avoid the losses.
  • Mattchoo said:
    I don't mean kill yourself exactly, but allow yourself to be killed while not wearing any equipment and with an empty inventory to avoid the losses.
    I think the gear would still be damaged or even dropped if you did not have it one
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2018
    It's hard to tell how this all is supposed to be balanced atm.

We have kind of talked about this and figured if it's deemed an issue, they would make it so corrupted players can't bank or trade. We don't even know if corrupted players can get to banks as guards might attack them.

The negative exp on death is supposed to mean something and corrupted players suffer more of it so i'd imagine it wouldn't be trivial.
  • It's hard to tell how this all is supposed to be balanced atm.

We have kind of talked about this and figured if it's deemed an issue, they would make it so corrupted players can't bank or trade. We don't even know if corrupted players can get to banks as guards might attack them.

The negative exp on death is supposed to mean something and corrupted players suffer more of it so i'd imagine it wouldn't be trivial.
    @Mattchoo I think a lot of us have been spoiled by modern MMORPG's where there's a HUGE lack in penalties (obviously not the case in some games.)  But if you have a high level of corruption, and people can loot gear from you in addition to gatherables - I see no reason why it's a bad thing to teach people to use banks before they go do their thing.

If you know you're going on a murder/griefing rampage - seems relevant that you should bank anything you don't want taken.  Maybe you had a crazy powerful weapon and were slaughtering everybody with it, then end up on a "kill on sight" list...  You are smart, then bank that weapon somehow... and every time somebody kills you, they're disappointed that they can't loot the awesome weapon... Also alleviating more of your corruption.
    ...Sounds fair to me.

I also think it's perfectly reasonable to have NPC guards in a city attack corrupted players and put them in prisons, or fine them or something for a limited amount of time.  Or maybe they get a death sentence and get killed.  Of course, you'll resurrect and/or respawn, possibly with a new bill of health (and less or no corruption) - but I'd also think it is a good idea to have a character record of how many times you've been sentenced to death.

In that regard, I would want to own my own Tavern inside of a city for corrupted players! ...if they could get in, of course.  B)

But everybody's right - this has been noted to be something that needs HEAVY testing before agreeing on a solid system.  Intrepid has the basics hashed out for the first iteration.  If it doesn't work, they will change it.

One of their four pillars is: meaningful conflict.

If somehow the corruption system prevents that or takes away from it, you can bet that the system will change.
  • Remains to be clarified, but it will be taken care of before launch. The "I will just kill myself while naked!" workaround gets thrown around every couple months by newer people who missed the last corruption rant where it was brought up. Realize that most if not all clever workarounds you have thought of have already been discussed and have either had the loophole closed or will have it closed during testing. Those that are looking for a cheap way to pk and get around the system are going to be disappointed. I know that everyone who joins the forums is a genius when it comes to game design, but the team at Intrepid is not just a bunch of idiots that have never worked on an mmo, or had to deal with people trying to game the systems they create. That is why they are just as excited to work on Ashes, because they have a boss that will let them design the best systems vs what cheap crap they can throw together to get the product out the door so they can start milking the base.
    edited June 2018
    I understand the point that you could not bank your equipment to go around with possible loot drop, but what about stolen resources.. So is it okay that corrupted player cannot bank resources, which he has in his inventory either? 
  • <Speculation> It is actually quite simple for them to fix the workaround and makes sense of the earlier quote we have of "chance of dropped or destroyed." Once you reach the high level of corruption needed to drop gear, the number and pieces of gear are toggled. Just like loot can be boe or bop, the system will know, not you. So if you are wearing a your kickass gear to go pking, then take your weapon and armor off and run around naked it still has a chance to drop. You won't know which piece or pieces have been tagged. Just like the system will recognize that you are in which flagging state on death to determine the % or resources dropped. So a piece gets tagged, you manage to make it to a storage point and throw it/them in the bank. Next time you die using/carrying that piece in pvp it will drop to be looted, if you die in pve it will be destroyed. Removes all incentive to run around naked trying to get rid of corruption to avoid gear loss, because as far as you know, they gear is already lost. Also handily takes care of the "I will just suicide to group of mobs or jump off a high place and avoid gear loss that way!" crowd.
    edited June 2018
    @UnknownSystemError Then the gear could be sold or maybe left to guild bank to used by other players. Its just loop holes after another. I think the best solution is just to lock (you cant take it off) the equiped gear until corruption level is decreased via being killed or questing.

I would still allow corrupted player to bank other stuff from inventory. Just because stolen resources will be the top goal to gank other players and if you cant bank the stolen goods and you just need to wait someone to kill you, so you can drop those stolen resources does not make much sense.