Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Bad habits and vices?

Maybe your character has a bit of a substance abuse problem to feed or has to visit an in-game brothel at least once a week?

If you don't take care of whatever you vice / bad habit is then you get a small (very small) debuff of some kind until you handle it?

Nothing game breaking or irritating that needs managing every hour on the hour, just something you need to do very occasionally...…..

Mostly just for grungy flavor and 'kicking the habit' could be part of a personal story quest line.

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2018
    I think that would effect the age rating up quite a lot
  • Sounds like an idea that Steve has said they were staying away from - Actively warding off debuffs rather than buffing the character. Example; Food, etc gives buffs rather than eliminating debuffs (starvation). Other activities/mechanics will do the same.

For this idea to fit into that idea the activity would need to give a buff such as providing camp followers to your army of NPC soldiers that would increase their morale.

• Dwarf > Tavern > whore room > Tyrion Lanister
  • If you need this to enhance your play, just role play it.
  • IS has also indicated they want to shy away from necessary dailies or things your character "has" to do. Regardless of the time in between doing these things, I think it falls into that category.

This, like @T-Elf mentioned, is more for personal role-play.
  • This type of stuff is really annoying to be honest, even if I had to do it once per day it would still somehow tick me off :/
  • My dude doesn't know how to manage his finances, never has never will.  Forever broke

Fraternity Broke phi Broke
  • Substance abuse, a brothel... i don’t think AOC is going in that direction 🤭

Could easily be other things less unsavory, lol.

• This type of stuff is really annoying to be honest, even if I had to do it once per day it would still somehow tick me off :/
    Oh, I don't disagree.  I was thinking more like once a week or ten days....

You wouldn't start with the habit or vice either.  It's something you'd pick up during the leveling process and there would be a way to get rid of it.
  • Why stop at subtance abuse?  My character should had OCD.  I must Jump left and then strafe right beyond my starting position and then back left to the original position, THEN I can mount up
  • Why stop at subtance abuse?  My character should had OCD.  I must Jump left and then strafe right beyond my starting position and then back left to the original position, THEN I can mount up
    This makes me sad.
  • Most of this topic makes me sad.
  • I wonder if this would applie to tea. I mean a day without a cup and I just turn into a jellyfish 
  • I'm still gonna push for OCD.  Instead of that Blindness that turns your screen black, your character has to touch the tip of your sowrd, then the pummel, then the two sides of the guard, spit, and then you're free.

You could even have a little reflex slider click-in-the-box-at-the-right-time thingy.
    It could be a real mechanic!!
  • Meh, there's probably no way to actually implement anything like this in game without it being really annoying to 95% of the player base...….
    edited June 2018
    In the vein of this thread, there should also be debuff items with fun social effects.  For example, the local pub could sell  special drinks that make your character dizzy & stumbling while moving etc. 

I think special items like potions/elixirs should run the whole gamut from special buffs, to really nasty and funny debuffs, like being turned into a toad etc etc.  Heck, I'd even be for some special "illegal substance" that when used would give a random buff, or debuff.   
  • Warkov said:
    In the vein of this thread, there should also be debuff items with fun social effects.  For example, the local pub could sell  special drinks that make your character dizzy & stumbling while moving etc. 

I think special items like potions/elixirs should run the whole gamut from special buffs, to really nasty and funny debuffs, like being turned into a toad etc etc.  Heck, I'd even be for some special "illegal substance" that when used would give a random buff, or debuff.   
    This is the way to go in my opinion as well.  Potions and Food items that can put temporary debuffs on you for fun is the way to go and gives the user a choice instead of something that has to be done.
  • Sintu said:
    Warkov said:

This is the way to go in my opinion as well.  Potions and Food items that can put temporary debuffs on you for fun is the way to go and gives the user a choice instead of something that has to be done.
    Indeed.  In a lot games that require buff items, they pretty much become needed to the point that the devs should have just coded them in as a passive abilities.  This is never fun fore players.  
    edited June 2018
    The devs created AN ENTIRE WORLD.  Surely they could make alcoholics, OCDs, and other mental disabilities.

:)

Come on
    • Dwarf with tourettes
    • Germaphobic Orc.
    • Alcoholic drunken wife beating Elf
    • OCD humans
    • And so much more!
    Devs can do it if they really wanted!
    edited June 2018
    I'm down for "Drunken" character raid night!
  • My character is going to have depression and social anxiety. I'll stay in my freehold all day and play video games. Also a bunch of drinking. It'll be great!!!