Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

What do you think about skills that divides to different steps?

For example : fireball - 1.apprentice 2.adept 3.master.Its mean that you have to use your skill often to get better step.But it dosnt mean that fireball(master) is better than armagedon(appretice).

Comments

• didnt they have something similar in runescape? i don't mind as long as its not too grindy
  • As long as rules on use involve success.
    Morrowind: Casting the spell levels the skill, even if fireball is at a wall (this would be bad)

Skyrim: Casting the spell only counts if it 'connects' or provides value (this would be okay)

I like the thought of horizontal progression, and it sounds like the weapon skills (or just weapon use) will kind of do the same, so maybe spells will to.

A forum knowledge patron like USE would know for sure.
  • I suggest looking at the videos of A0 footage to see what they have planned for skills and how, for example, a fireball will power up. Other than that...no comment*NDA.
  • thanks ,i ve wrote that i prefer to see i AoC
  • kinda an antiquated system. Seems similar to wow's weapon skills in which they'd affect your accuracy. I could see an equivalent system for spellcraft but it seems needlessly hurtful. I'd rather do away with accuracy all together.
  • Seems to me that Armageddon should be better than Fireball.

Also seems to me that a Master should be able to cast a Fireball better than an apprentice can cast a Fireball... although still be able to finesse a low-caliber Fireball if desired.

I think I would prefer acquiring augments via playing the game - that we can then apply to Fireball situationally. Rather than Fireball ramping up with use.
    That way, I can choose a light touch when applicable or overkill.

I don't know that accuracy should increase with use - perhaps, depending on the skill.
    Success should probably increase with use.
    Especially if I'm a Master using basic skills.
  • thats fine thank you
  • The system as described in the OP is - other than how leveling the spells up would work - is exactly how EQ2 skills worked at launch, only with a few more steps in between.

The game gave you apprentice 1 skills as you gained the experience needed to earn them, and you could upgrade them easily to a higher apprentice level via common crafting. Adept 1 was gained as a common mob drop, adept 3 was gained using rare crafting, master 1 was a rare drop.

Post LU#13, all skills were earned on a 13 level (iirc) rotation, so a skill learned at level 20 would be learned again at level 33, functionally exactly the same, just with a new name and starting again at apprentice 1.

Eventually, SoE changed it so that spells in the same line used the same name - instead of using Ice Comet, and then leveling up to use Ice Nova, you would instead use Ice Comet I and then when leveled up you would switch to using Ice Comet II.

As far as I know, this is still the system that game is using. This means that a player may be using Immolate VI at adept 3 level, which may be better than their Immolate VII that is only at apprentice 1 level.

As to the specifics of the OP's idea, I don't like the idea of needing to use a weaker version of a spell I have specifically for the purpose of leveling it up. If Armageddon really is just a more powerful version of Fireball, shouldn't experience gained in one apply to the other?

I mean, the switch from Fireball to Armageddon is essentially the same as a weapon upgrade for a melee character. They are essentially the same as they are both ways of representing your character using a weapon or spell and so getting better at using it. While the mechanics may be slightly different, they represent the same idea.

However, if I am using a level 10 sword and leveling up my sword skill, when I switch over to a level 20 sword, I don't need to start leveling my sword skill again.
  • Thank you

• Hang on, wtf are you talking about.

You mean, if I go out and repeat an activity, over and over, my character will get better at it. Almost as if it were gaining experience and grew more powerful from it.

Why dont we call it "leveling up", and make each "level" harder than the last and turn it into a developmental grind of sorts. That way if I have successfully killed more things with my fireball I will be better at throwing fireballs than you.

I apologize for the over the top sarcasm. What you are wanting should already exist In the form of levels effecting your stats. ESO had a gimmick like this and that's what it felt like, gimmicky. 

I'd prefer as we get stronger, perhaps having to choose a more powerful single spell over a few lesser ones. Divinity original sin 2 has a great system where you choose how many spells you can have on hand at the expense of power or life or mobility etc. And the more powerful the spell the more memory you needed set aside.
  • Hang on, wtf are you talking about.

You mean, if I go out and repeat an activity, over and over, my character will get better at it. Almost as if it were gaining experience and grew more powerful from it.

Why dont we call it "leveling up", and make each "level" harder than the last and turn it into a developmental grind of sorts. That way if I have successfully killed more things with my fireball I will be better at throwing fireballs than you.

I apologize for the over the top sarcasm. What you are wanting should already exist In the form of levels effecting your stats. ESO had a gimmick like this and that's what it felt like, gimmicky. 

I'd prefer as we get stronger, perhaps having to choose a more powerful single spell over a few lesser ones. Divinity original sin 2 has a great system where you choose how many spells you can have on hand at the expense of power or life or mobility etc. And the more powerful the spell the more memory you needed set aside.
    if Divinity original sin 2 was a mmorpg I would never leave my house again 
  • Yes thas is i wanted to see,thank you
  • It's just a design choice.
    In Bless Online, combat skills improve via leveling while crafting skills improve via usage.

EQ did have combat skills - really all skills - improve via usage...and that felt great.
    The moment I first logged into EQ, while I was stuck waiting to fully appear in the game, I could see the message "Malvourn is casting a spell. Malvourn is casting a spell."
    I had heard so much about PKIng from my co-workers playing UO that I was paranoid I was going to get ganked, so I spammed the Run button. Fell of a cliff into water and drowned. Malvourn was just an NPC Mage doing some harmless magic trick for atmospheric flavor.
    After that, the first thing I did every time I leveled was go find a body of water to max my Swimming skill. And it was also fun to go jumping off of cliffs to max my Safe Fall skill.
    But, that was more about skills than specific abilities. So, my Mage would max Evocation by casting Fireball. And having a high Evocation would increase the damage and success rate of Fireball and Armageddon.
    Or Fireball I, Fireball IV and Fireball VII.
  • Thank YoU ,thas is imposible)THat is what i whant to see  :*