Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Combating Real World Trading and Gold Selling?

As someone who has played a lot of MMOs and a long time player of Runescape 07, I have become skeptical of in game economies. In Runescape, gold selling is still rampant, and botting is less rare, yet still a big part of the game.

How does the AOC team look at this situation and what measures will be in place to stop gold sellers and real world traders?

One system runescape added, which essentially killed runescape for quite some time, was that they would not allow players to trade with each other unless an equal ( or close to equal ) amounts of value were traded. This made it so that gold sellers couldn't sell users gold because the player making the purchase would have put up a equal ( or close to equal ) amount of items in terms of their value in gold.

This system almost killed the game, because as most of you know, Alt accounts are a huge part of Runescape and MMORPGs. Alt accounts aren't the only issue here. If a system like this would be in place, tons of issues would appear.

Example: I am a guild leader and I need to supply my healers and tanks with mana and health potions because they can't afford them. If a system like this was put in place, I wouldn't be able to trade any of my guild members the items unless they paid me directly for them ,which, as a guild leader, I wouldn't want because maybe I want to put a system in place where guild members don't need to pay for food and potions and can even borrow gear from the QuarterMaster. What if my caravan is being attacked and my guild members don't have enough in game money to buy potions, but I a few thousand gold to spare.

I know these seem like random examples, but some are actually realistic. When I used to PK, If I didn't have enough runes or the right gear, my main PvPer would let me barrow some gold to buy what I needed for a PvP trip.

That being said, has the AOC team said anything about how they will try to combat gold selling and real world trading? Will there be a cap on gold that you can give another users / day? Will there be a system similar to what runescape added that nearly killed the game? Will you have to be "friends" or even Guild members to be able to send each other gold?

I am interested in seeing what discussion comes from this.

Comments

• Yes, this has been addressed since the beginning of the games formation and development. Please look at the relevant wikis, livestreams and interviews that have been produced over the last year and half of development for the answers you seek. This was answered as recently as the last livestream for the umpteenth time. A simple forum search will also give you links to relevant threads.
  • USE to the rescue!!!  I think you may be a bot with all the links and information you put up.  :)@UnknownSystemError
  • They are fairly confident from thier interviews that they have it locked down. 

I think that they have the best defense in place for rmt. No fast travel and only local auction houses. So the seller would have to be in the same server and node as you. Else there could be hours of travel involved and this kills buisiness. That being said, there is prolly little that can be done against someone selling an account to another, or for that matter stopping people in the same mode from doing rmt. At least without crippling the economy.

I worry more about bots. This will be the 24/7 battle. These things can scourge a game. It's not hard to spot a bot, but the volume of then can easily overwhelm an unprepared staff.

I give IS the full benefit of the doubt. I will assume they have this issue fully under control untill there is evidence to the contrary.
  • Plus it's a subscription game, it's costly to sub just for bots and accounts that'll potentially get banned.. Notice the mass difference of bots between free runescape and members runescape?
  • Here is a link to the wiki that references these issues. As they mentioned above, they have answered this question quite a few times on the livestreams as well.
  • Flameh0t said:
    Plus it's a subscription game, it's costly to sub just for bots and accounts that'll potentially get banned.. Notice the mass difference of bots between free runescape and members runescape?
    A lot of times they'll use stolen credit cards and just move all the 'gold' off-account.
  • Death penalty should do it.
  • Crymoar said:
    Death penalty should do it.
    not sure if you mean in game or real life ^^
  • nagash said:
    Crymoar said:
    Death penalty should do it.
    not sure if you mean in game or real life ^^
    Skulls for the skull god
  • Lol
  • Yes, this has been addressed since the beginning of the games formation and development. Please look at the relevant wikis, livestreams and interviews that have been produced over the last year and half of development for the answers you seek. This was answered as recently as the last livestream for the umpteenth time. A simple forum search will also give you links to relevant threads.

• Xombie said:
    Yes, this has been addressed since the beginning of the games formation and development. Please look at the relevant wikis, livestreams and interviews that have been produced over the last year and half of development for the answers you seek. This was answered as recently as the last livestream for the umpteenth time. A simple forum search will also give you links to relevant threads.

Yeah, but will I be able to sell gold on ebay........
  • Warkov said:

To who? Your grandfather that uses a flip phone and wants to be cool by joining the mmo crowd? Because thats your target customer with EBay.

• Warkov said:

To who? Your grandfather that uses a flip phone and wants to be cool by joining the mmo crowd? Because thats your target customer with EBay.

ouch.  okay okay, downloading the "let go" app right now.
  • Warkov said:

The real money is on Craigslist.
  • Come check out my myspace so we can talk about it on there.
  • Warkov said:

I disagree. Ebay being a euphemism for website "x" that specializes in black markey game economy sales. One such example is epicnpc. These sites are not for your grandfather, but rather are often used by the top players, hence why they are top players a lot of times.

Other than the no fast travel obstacle, I genuinely have some concern as to how this action could be curbed. All the algorithms in the world and you still have to justify trading stuff to a friend or clanny, when often times those are the people you are selling gear to for $.
  • Warkov said:

I disagree. Ebay being a euphemism for website "x" that specializes in black markey game economy sales. One such example is epicnpc. These sites are not for your grandfather, but rather are often used by the top players, hence why they are top players a lot of times.

Other than the no fast travel obstacle, I genuinely have some concern as to how this action could be curbed. All the algorithms in the world and you still have to justify trading stuff to a friend or clanny, when often times those are the people you are selling gear to for $.
    I think you missed the joke 
  • "...black market game economy sales."
    "...are often used by the top players,..."

Sounds like cheaters to me, but I have standards for what I consider a top player besides a scorecard and fan bois.
  • I am not condoning this practice, but to have a job playing games and finding ways to create income to sell to stupid people who just want it all at once. You cant blame them when you have gullible people buying their services and then cry on the forums or reddit about how their accounts got banned.