Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

is it good idea?

i truly love everything about this game, maybe i have some concerns about few things, but imo this monster coin idea is bad

Comments

• Can you explain your reason for thinking it's bad? 
  • a lot of effort and time to make something fun for very few players, conflict of interest because why would you atk as monster node you maybe want to protect, potential of making some big and epic event unfun and disappoiting because monster player fail
  • Do more research, your opinion might change.

• With everything else with the game, if this turns out to be abused, Intrepid will nip it in a hurry.

There are a lot of opportunities for testing

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2018
    You probably wouldn't choose to join a monster coin event against your own node and instead would go more for events that are against enemy nodes.

I don't think it will take that much more effort as it's just giving the controls of an already created monster to the player. Not much work is needed.

I'm not sure if the possibility of a player failing at a system is a good reason to exclude it. It would be one thing if it was hard but controlling a monster doesn't seem too hard. Running around and spamming abilities is probably not too difficult for most MMO players.
  • You wouldn't attack a node you want to protect with a monster, you would attack a node of an enemy. 

This needs to be clear. You DO NOT choose where the event happens. The events are random. There will be a message, and those with the appropriate coin will be able to queue for the event. You DO NOT choose the kind of monster you will get, other than knowing the level of coin you use. You will not be able to trigger monster coin events at a time of your choosing. As the system shown and described so far goes, you use the coin when the event is active, you are consumed by corruption, and your "soul" is transported into that monster event until the event is concluded. Obtaining different objectives during that event, either as a player or monster will gain you a chance at unique cosmetics, nothing p2w. After the event is over, as the monster defeated or undefeated, your "soul" will be transported back to your body in its original location. You will NOT be using monster coins as a means of fast travel.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2018

This needs to be clear. You DO NOT choose where the event happens. The events are random. There will be a message, and those with the appropriate coin will be able to queue for the event. You DO NOT choose the kind of monster you will get, other than knowing the level of coin you use. You will not be able to trigger monster coin events at a time of your choosing. As the system shown and described so far goes, you use the coin when the event is active, you are consumed by corruption, and your "soul" is transported into that monster event until the event is concluded. Obtaining different objectives during that event, either as a player or monster will gain you a chance at unique cosmetics, nothing p2w. After the event is over, as the monster defeated or undefeated, your "soul" will be transported back to your body in its original location. You will NOT be using monster coins as a means of fast travel.
    Was not trying to imply that you can freely choose where and when to coin. I reworded it for you.

I'd imagine you can still choose which events to queue for or to pass on a certain event if you don't want to partake. 
  • Yep, speculation is that it will be a totally voluntary system where you will get a prompt you can respond Yes/No to. If you have the appropriate coin, you will be put in the queue, if you respond no, business as usual. With everything being about player agency, I don't see you being forced into an event just because you have the coin in inventory. Also would cause people to rage since you will be able to find them in the world as well as purchased from store. The first person that says "I needed to log off and your monster coin system auto selected me and it wasted the coin that I spent real money on!!" would make sure they made it voluntary. So once again, working as intended. No crisis beyond the OP either not understanding/researching fully.
  • Seems to me it would be similar to a siege - a citizen of the node would not be eligible to be a monster in a Monster Coin Event.
  • stop kink shamming monsters monster are happy being who just want to live but you lot keep "farming" them like monsters ^^
  • To be honest, I see little potential for abuse other than people becoming monsters and deliberately disabling a particular building or service whereas normal AI might have targeted other things. This could be useful pre-Siege, as unlikely as it is that two such events would coincide. Considering that the coins are to be relatively common in-game, I'd say this is a far cry from P2W.

It doesn't really make much sense thematically - trading a coin to become a monster, but anyone who feels their immersion is being violated by this feature can choose not to use this coin and still participate in killing the monster.

In other words, it will probably be fine.

- Sikuba
  • Sikuba said:
    To be honest, I see little potential for abuse other than people becoming monsters and deliberately disabling a particular building or service whereas normal AI might have targeted other things. This could be useful pre-Siege, as unlikely as it is that two such events would coincide. Considering that the coins are to be relatively common in-game, I'd say this is a far cry from P2W.

It doesn't really make much sense thematically - trading a coin to become a monster, but anyone who feels their immersion is being violated by this feature can choose not to use this coin and still participate in killing the monster.

In other words, it will probably be fine.

- Sikuba
    Actually it makes perfect sense from what we know about corruption and its effects on the world. You have found an ancient coin from before the fall. That has been sitting somewhere and storing up corruption energy for thousands of years. You feel the pull of it in your pocket. You keep rubbing it and turning it over in the sunlight to look at it. You start to whisper "My Precious...." when you think no one is watching. One day the pull becomes so strong that you feel yourself inside a corrupted monster far away from your body. You feel the desire to kill, kill kill. You are in this weird place until you see a person run up and run a sword through you. You are now back at your body, and you realize that the coin in now just a shiny piece of junk. You toss it away.

They have stated already that monster coin events will not trigger in nodes that are under an active siege declaration. Since the minimum is 2 days for a level 3, even it the node had been damaged right before the declaration (very small odds) the populace would have had more than adequate time to restore services.
  • Don't forget that players buy the coin, if they win they get cosmetic skins.  On the other hand if they lose the other players get cosmetic skins.  I think this will be more popular than you think, and a fair chance for everyone to get some extra skins.   Besides are you really telling me you don't want to try playing as a HUGE monster and go crush, eat, and smash other players? 
  • Calling something that you have not tried out bad is a bit weird, the whole idea is to give players a new fresh feeling or maybe you got a guy who you dont like and want to 'legally' kill him ;)
  • I just wonder how they will queue players. Will it be open to players outside of the zone that is being attacked or will it just be open to all players regardless of how close/far they are to the event. Maybe they'll have limited active monsters at any given time or if it will be all out warfare. 
  • Loyheta said:
    I just wonder how they will queue players. Will it be open to players outside of the zone that is being attacked or will it just be open to all players regardless of how close/far they are to the event. Maybe they'll have limited active monsters at any given time or if it will be all out warfare. 
    I kind of suspect that once someone starts using/attacking that a system message would go out to all players regardless of where they are.  The players will then have to boogie on over (if they decide to do so) before everything gets destroyed.
  • Wow, another thread on these forums started to complain about a system the OP doesn't understand!

Am I the only one feeling a sense of déjà vu?
  • Noaani said:
    Wow, another thread on these forums started to complain about a system the OP doesn't understand!

Denial is the most predictable of all human responses. But, rest assured, this will be the sixth time we have destroyed it, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it. ^^
  • nagash said:
    Noaani said:
    Wow, another thread on these forums started to complain about a system the OP doesn't understand!

Denial is the most predictable of all human responses. But, rest assured, this will be the sixth time we have destroyed it, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it. ^^
    You are undead not a machine!!! @nagash
  • Sintu said:
    nagash said:
    Noaani said:

You are undead not a machine!!! @nagash
    In fantasy i play undead in sci-fi i play robots