Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Beggars in AoC

Not sure if there will be NPC beggars in AoC, but I know we will see Player ones. Every MMO I have played, I have seen someone begging for money or items. Even if they joined a guild, they would beg for stuff vs going out to work hard for it. This type of player drives me nuts at time. Granted, some people might role play the part, and return the kindness of strangers with a gift. That's fine, I have no issue with that, just those who don't want to do anything but beg all day, and do nothing to help when needed.

Now on a side note, NPC beggars I feel would be a sweet touch to the game look. Maybe once a NODE grows over level 4, then you will see beggars on the street. Why? No reason but to add a look, maybe you gain a small boost if you help a NPC beggar, or a quest might start at random, if you find that special one beggar in the crowd.

Maybe it's a rich man that had everything stolen from him, and he asking you to help get it back from this bad group of raiders. So maybe you have to go kick them out of his owner, and once you finish, you gain a special item. Just saying.

But I still hate player beggars with a passion, so don't come to me begging in game!

So what are your thoughts on beggars in game?

Comments

• I haven't seen a beggar in game for years.  NPC beggars are ok.  I generally ignore PC beggars.
  • @Granthor

That is an awesome idea, the NPC beggars that is. The AOC team could do alot with that in game.
  • @Granthor

That is an awesome idea, the NPC beggars that is. The AOC team could do alot with that in game.

Sorry about the rant on the player beggars. but mainly I would love to see NPC beggars used in game for different things. some can tigger a side quest, others maybe you gain a discount at NPC vendors, cause they like how you showed kindness to a person in need. so much can be done with the NPC beggars. Good things nothing bad ok.
  • the last beggar I saw was in divinity original sin 2 and I used the flay skin spell on him. that should tell you all you need to know on how I feel about beggars in-game players and NPCs
  • There was a fun little game called "Tantra" in the early 2000s that I think was made in the Philippines. I played it with my college buddies and learned how to swear in a few south Asian dialects but nothing beyond that.

One thing that always struck us was how friendly people were, walking up to us, talking non stop. It wasn't until one of us ran into a guy who also spoke English doing this did we relize it wasnt friendliness. When he we said"sorry, English only" this fuu swapped to enlgish saying "itam plx. Monies plx".

People didn't want to talk to us, they were begging!!
  • Beggars are not going to be safe in the world with open PvP. 

I do like the possiblity of NPC beggars and have the same feelings as the OP for real beggars. 
  • Somebody got some gold for me?
  • Give me beggars and the option to create a beggar empire in the game having the greatest information network muahahahahah ;)
  • Give me beggars and the option to create a beggar empire in the game having the greatest information network muahahahahah ;)
    Sounds like someone is aiming to make The Court of Miracles lol.
  • I love Beggars. So many ways to interact with a Player who is begging for stuff.
  • Nice day for fishing, ain't it ?
  • Granthor said:

Sorry about the rant on the player beggars. but mainly I would love to see NPC beggars used in game for different things. some can tigger a side quest, others maybe you gain a discount at NPC vendors, cause they like how you showed kindness to a person in need. so much can be done with the NPC beggars. Good things nothing bad ok.
    I'm currently playing Elder Scrolls Online and one of the things that irritates me is the NPC beggars.  Not that they exist.  What irks me is that most of the time you can't actually give them anything.  I've only ran across a few where you could actually give them a few coins.  That makes no sense to me.  The devs put them in the game and they sit around moaning and asking for money or food or help for their sick children but you can't give them anything.  And I'm a provisioner.  I always have extra food in my inventory.  I just don't get it.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2018
    Because finding the ones you can give stuff to is an achievement. Worth 5 points I think. Look it up under Achievements/Character I believe.
  • @noemad I'm with you...if you are going to have them begging then they should accept donations.  After all, games are always looking for ways to take money out of the economy, this would make perfect sense.
  • Begging was a skill in UO. 
    edited July 2018
    T-Elf said:
    @noemad I'm with you...if you are going to have them begging then they should accept donations.  After all, games are always looking for ways to take money out of the economy, this would make perfect sense.
    Yeah but without any incentives for the player it would be a very poor money sink.  Now if there were some type of achievements, secondary rewards, quest intro's, or something similar, then I could see npc beggars working out as being something more than just background set pieces.
  • Warkov said:
    Yeah but without any incentives for the player it would be a very poor money sink.  Now if there were some type of achievements, secondary rewards, quest intro's, or something similar, then I could see npc beggars working out as being something more than just background set pieces.
    According to UnknownSystemError finding the ones you can give money to actually is an achievement.  Which I did NOT know.  You learn something new every day.
  • Warkov said:
    T-Elf said:
    @noemad I'm with you...if you are going to have them begging then they should accept donations.  After all, games are always looking for ways to take money out of the economy, this would make perfect sense.
    That's kinda built in, in that you don't know which one they are going to be.  Yes, just background is kind of wasted opportunity for content.
  • Daewulf said:
    Begging was a skill in UO. 

Didn't Age of Wu Shu have begging as a skill and an offline activity?
  • ESO

Give to the Poor[edit]

A beggar appears, digging through a bag on the ground. (Often the bag will appear first, along with an icon that floats over the beggar's head which looks just like the icon you see when you have an NPC follower during certain quests.) If you talk to the beggar, they will tell you a small story and ask for some gold. The gold is a level-dependent amount up to 69 Gold. If you give it to them, you'll receive a small amount of experience. Choosing any other dialogue options will cause you to miss the opportunity. If you encounter the same beggar later, they will recognize you, and you can give them gold for experience again, but it will not help with the achievement.

• To me, the addition of beggars in Verra doesn't make sense initially.

While I don't know much about the world we are leaving, it does seem to me that we are leaving a world that has been our home for generations. The only thing to compel people to go back through the portal to Verra, as far as I am aware, is a sense of adventure or discovery.

Beggars don't really fit in that category, and so the only beggars there should be ones that have had to turn to begging due to circumstances actually IN Verra - which is to say, post launch.

A slow addition of wounded beggars to the world could be a great idea though.
    edited July 2018
    I like that thought a lot, once the first node hits level 4 or so I would be okay seeing beggars. But peeps just walking through the portal to help "re-discover" Verra will likely not be the begging type. Sure, they might be the poor and homeless where they were but coming here should be a change for the positive for them. Continuing their ways that led them to begging should not be something they immediately fall back into.

Edit: to stay on topic
    I am not a fan of Player Beggars and if they pester me more than once it might be worth corruption to kill them. If a few players did this every time we might be able to nip that in the bud.

As for beggar NPC's, like I said earlier, at a certain point I don't know how they wouldn't exist. Helping them get back on track, like the OP mentioned, would be an epic hidden story line that would encourage players to drop money into NPCs hoping to find the one that pays off in a quest.

Overall, good thread topic :smile:
  • There is a difference between player beggers and player scammers but not by much.
    edited July 2018
    There is a difference between player beggers and player scammers but not by much.
    This is pretty true.  I use to know a guy that would create new female characters, and then pretend to be poor and new asking for just a little help to buy a weapon or armor.  He said it wouldn't be two minutes before guys started sending him tells left and right.  He said that they would assume he was female, and start giving him all kinds credits and free items, even when the amount he was asking for was a really low amount of money (which I assume was part of his ploy not seem like a beggar).  

So you never know who is really behind the characters and what their intent is.  Which is why it is a good policy is to never give anything, unless you know the person and it's a genuine request.
  • By all means, try and stop 'em. I won't stand in your way. Beat them back, chop them down, hold the line, carry the day. Cover yourself in glory, or in guts, it makes no difference to me. Or to the dead, for that matter. You're just postponing the inevitable, lad. Mark my words, they'll get us all in the end

this is why we need to stop them ^^
  • Even though the difference between a player scammer and beggar are not so big the scammer is still much worse...
    edited July 2018
    *Holds up a sign with Verran runes scrawled across it saying*  Homeless Py'rai, will adventure for food and booze. :lol: