Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Make the game harder than any other MMO!

2»

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2018
    xLangatanGx said:
    " ... The PvP doesn't interest me so much as the PvE.
    ... same 

" ... And even if they can escape, all I have to do is auto-run in their direction until I catch them again ... "
    oh thats the whole of Action-Combat ... you won't be able to "auto-chase" someone if there are tactics from action-combat-movement-abilities.

EDIT: You'd have to actively-chase. And thats part of the reason why I hope that Action-Combat is more prominent/ dominant that Tab-target 

i.e. this goes back on how Intrepid plans to build on a fundamental LvL + action-combat allows for more options for the overall combat via others of escaping & other means of surviving 
  • hint: take a look at this Thread

my post about the idea of the Ranger's Ability displayed in PAX ... being extended to "ricochet" off  objects 

But it's just an example
  • Gear progression will keep people playing the game.  The reason BDO is still successful is because of its gear treadmill.  What is the reason to spend hours and hours each day doing trade runs and running dungeons if it doesn’t have an effect on my progression.  The issue is if someone geared can 1v2 or 1vX because of massive gear advantages.  A good pvp system usually makes enough ccs where any two people should be able to out play 1 person regardless of gear.  (assuming your gear is atleast of the same level not grade)

edited July 2018
    @LoanWolf
    I'd always thought its the HardCore Aspects that maintains players ;if combat is designed to have a lot of options ( via Action Combat ) , then that'll naturally let the Player delve into more Experimentation with what can be done, which is a good thing - it'll prevent terms like ... " Meta " from existing in the 1st place. Which will also prevent "preferred" builds from Raids and PvP

All because of a fundamental aspect that could've been designed differently ... and better

Because once the " learning curve " is no longer an issue with their Archetype ... thats when the "stagnant state" starts - there's nothing else new to learn about their Archetype.

Something similar can be said about the "Hardcore-Aspects" of SWG's Crafting

However, the Racial-Stat-Progression will make differences - so thats good
    edited July 2018
    In short, Hardcore Aspects is what retains players - if there's so much to delve into, so much to experiment ( i.e. so much to "explore" ) ... then that add layers of depth to Ashes of Creation ..... encouraging players to delve into a wide-array of activities - each "field" having it own "set-of-intricacies" . 

And these same "sets-of-intricacies" establishes other avenues of getting stronger, content that could last longer, all while the Player is having fun "exploring" what Ashes of Creation has to offer.

But it won't be like that if everything is gated towards Player-LvL & Player's-Gear ...

Player-Skill has to be #1 Priority over Gear & LvL. But not by an absurd amount...

In other words ... if Gear & LvL is emphasized too much  on the Victor ... then Ashes of Creation's Combat will be narrow-minded - unable to go beyond the Scope of other possibilities, unable to redefine what an ability could be, unable to unlock other options, etc ... due to Gear & LvL dictating every confrontation 

... which will indirectly incentivize Players' Speed LvLing 

Almost like a "Domino Effect " - once one part of it tips over ... the whole thing is going to crumble
  • LoanWolf said:

Gear progression will keep people playing the game.  The reason BDO is still successful is because of its gear treadmill.  What is the reason to spend hours and hours each day doing trade runs and running dungeons if it doesn’t have an effect on my progression.  The issue is if someone geared can 1v2 or 1vX because of massive gear advantages.  A good pvp system usually makes enough ccs where any two people should be able to out play 1 person regardless of gear.  (assuming your gear is atleast of the same level not grade)

Fortnite, League, Dota and countless other games would beg to differ. Any game where combat is legitimately fun, does not need a gear treadmill to keep them there. Personally I hope they invest tons of time in creating a high skill-cap combat system with tons of different play styles (Which judging by the class list, they are already doing). Guld Wars 2, for example, has no gear treadmill, and very little incentive to play WvW outside of simply enjoying the game. Despite that, I know people who still play it every night after thousands of hours of game time. 

I do however, believe that some kind of treadmill is healthy for any game. I think that a rank, glory or prestige system should be in place to reward veteran players. This system should give some perks over time, but mainly it should be a bragging rights system. Another benefit of them, is that they leave no man behind. In a gear-treadmill game, they often shut out people from picking them up down the road.

Ether way, I am going to play and love this game!
  • FPSs and Mobas aren’t a MMORPG.  The genre is built on gear progression.  Having someone who nolifes the game and has the top gear is going to be tough to beat.  That’s just the nature of it.  Nobodies saying they should be able to solo a caravan of players but the reason a lot of us invest a ton of time in mmorpgs is to get the shinies.  Then we like to take said shinies and hit someone in the face with it. 

• LoanWolf said:

Gear progression will keep people playing the game.  The reason BDO is still successful is because of its gear treadmill.  What is the reason to spend hours and hours each day doing trade runs and running dungeons if it doesn’t have an effect on my progression.  The issue is if someone geared can 1v2 or 1vX because of massive gear advantages.  A good pvp system usually makes enough ccs where any two people should be able to out play 1 person regardless of gear.  (assuming your gear is atleast of the same level not grade)

Fortnite, League, Dota and countless other games would beg to differ. Any game where combat is legitimately fun, does not need a gear treadmill to keep them there. Personally I hope they invest tons of time in creating a high skill-cap combat system with tons of different play styles (Which judging by the class list, they are already doing). Guld Wars 2, for example, has no gear treadmill, and very little incentive to play WvW outside of simply enjoying the game. Despite that, I know people who still play it every night after thousands of hours of game time. 

I do however, believe that some kind of treadmill is healthy for any game. I think that a rank, glory or prestige system should be in place to reward veteran players. This system should give some perks over time, but mainly it should be a bragging rights system. Another benefit of them, is that they leave no man behind. In a gear-treadmill game, they often shut out people from picking them up down the road.

Ether way, I am going to play and love this game!
    You cannot put Ashes in the same bucket as Fortnite, LOL or dota. Those are fast paced games, aimed at the most hyperactive players. MMOs are games that can include all types of players, from the hardcore active players (most of the time are PCPers) to the most carebear ones (mostly farmers). It's a sandbox, a multi directional game. That s why MMOS are the most adictive games of them all. 
    You can do everything with the time that you invest in them, fast paced or slow.