Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Wing cosmetics, yay or nay?

Hey do you guys think they will add wings for cosmetic purposes or no?

Im also just curious to see how many people are interested lol there have been a few popular mmos that add wings for flight and just cosmetic purposes. 

I would be totally fine for this game's wings to be purely for show. I just thought about wings cause i was remembering the angelic skin.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2018
    I would like to have some personality. I know guild wars 2 had lots of skins for your glider that where like wings so I would like to see something like that 

edited July 2018
    I would have To say yes, Wings for cosmetics would be awesome, if by chance they have wings that when worn are considered say "Legendary" cosmetic. Thus when worn they make you hover slightly off the ground, that would be cool too. There could be demonic wings/ black feathered/ Red and fluffy/ Multi wings. Even broken wings. The possibility's are awesome.
  • @nagash Thats a good point about the gliding cause that will be a thing in game, but so far just limited to mount use as far as i know. Maybe in the future wings will be added for gliding puzzles or something to that nature. 

Off subject lol,
    (Hopefully gliding puzzles will be a thing in the futures with the Sladeborne as a main focus in a floating city)

@VolensqueI would love to see both legendary and regular. I can see the legendary version having a cool effect like that.
  • No no no no and no.... every game that introduced wings, does not know here to stop.
    It always becomes to much at a certain point. before you know it you have people running around with butterfly wings, wings on fire, wings that glow, bone wings. 
    It always ends up destroying immersion.
    whats wrong with bone wings ^^
  • nagash said:
    No no no no and no.... every game that introduced wings, does not know here to stop.
    It always becomes to much at a certain point. before you know it you have people running around with butterfly wings, wings on fire, wings that glow, bone wings. 
    Come on now... xD
    Lets try to avoid this 

it's to much!!!!!
    yeah that is a bit much see the image I posted is like bat wings without the fleshy bits and its black magic that creates flight 
  • nagash said:
    nagash said:
    No no no no and no.... every game that introduced wings, does not know here to stop.
    Come on now... xD
    Lets try to avoid this 

it's to much!!!!!
    yeah that is a bit much see the image I posted is like bat wings without the fleshy bits and its black magic that creates flight 

I get it, but you can't avoid one by adding, those kind of wings so then id rather see no wings at all. xD

Unless it would be a skill. then it would not be immersion breaking. 
    That brings up something will there be items to make you float so you sort of glide across the ground. that to me would be better than wings 
  • Red Bull!!!
  • if red ball gives you wings does green snake give you powers to float ^^
  • nagash said:
    That brings up something will there be items to make you float so you sort of glide across the ground. that to me would be better than wings 
    They confirmed ages ago that mounts with wings and character models (the angel skin specifically) would "hover". Now, what is not know is if that will allow you to avoid ground based environmental effects like acid pools and others we have seen in videos. My guess is probably not.
    edited July 2018
    nagash said:
    They confirmed ages ago that mounts with wings and character models (the angel skin specifically) would "hover". Now, what is not know is if that will allow you to avoid ground based environmental effects like acid pools and others we have seen in videos. My guess is probably not.
    and my cosplay is a real thing ^^

Now all I need is a pope hat 
  • I'm of both sides (cop out).

On one hand I like cosmetics and collecting and I think there should be some attention grabbing stuff (needs to be really rare to have an impact and hopefully only in-game achievements).

I also think that this game should have a set atmosphere and should be grounded in that. We've already seen people up-in-arms about stuffington and I do agree with that. As an aside, I think Deathsproxy had a very good point: Since magic exists in this game there could have been a magical toy shop that these are from instead of some 'golem' brought to life by a little girl. I think having a grounded in-game reality, atmosphere, and lore is one of the most important things in mmo development. Without having a set theme/atmosphere you end up with games like TERA where it is just one giant lolifest with a jarring mix of silly and serious/brutal. It clashes and makes it hard to get invested in the game's universe. Atmosphere and content are both needed to retain customers.

With all this said I would be fine with legendary/fabled artifacts having some really awesome visuals. For the rest of us plebs, I want the game confined to its own universe (I still get irritated with some of these tone-clashing items). 

In all reality they can do whatever they want because our characters are being ported back here by a god... so I mean there is no reason we can't have stuff ported from a world/universe/realm that is ahead of us (victorian era boston stuff), more mythological (hippogriffs and griffons), etc. Hell, they could even pull a RIFT and have rifts that tear open and stuff pours in.
  • @Loyheta If you are going to slam lore given out by the creator of the game, at least get it right. "As an aside, I think Deathsproxy had a very good point: Since magic exists in this game there could have been a magical toy shop that these are from instead of some 'golem' brought to life by a little girl." He didn't say it was some TED moment where a little girl wishing real hard made a thing like Stuffertons. 

He said "
    As for the lore aspect of it, in a world as magically influenced as Verra, the concept of magically animated objects are quite common. This mount stuffertons would likely have served as an Aelan, upper class gift to a university wizard's child, an animated toy that would serve its purpose as a means of transport between the mages tower and home. (on a side note, as a GM in DnD and Pathfinder, I often use animated objects in my campaigns, and the truth of the matter is, that people have different tastes when it comes to their play experience, but I wouldnt say immersion or lore is second to a few bucks, if you knew us by now )"
  • I would prefer cloacks than wings, personally.

Rsultat de recherche dimages pour white beard cloak
    Rsultat de recherche dimages pour white beard cloak one piece

OF THIS STYLE :o<3<3<3 
  • Also sorry for dobble post but, if i had to choose between auras and wings i would choose auras.
    edited July 2018
    Then you will get both. Phoenix auras were already a KS award for the whales. They are sure to make an appearance in game in other ways.

Pledge US$ 5,000 or more

Hero of the People

Receive the Phoenix's aura - Have your characters emblazoned with the aura of the phoenix effect! 

• I prefer my wings boneless.
    I don't mind wings, or other auras, that cause a hover effect and I can't imagine a world where magic exist and that doesn't.

I would like lore to take a heavy influence in not only the wings, but all cosmetics ever.
  • @UnknownSystemError
    Well I guess I could have read that in the wiki... shit, I was going off my crap memory and I could have swore I saw flavor text stating something along the lines of what I said. After about 20 minutes of searching... yeah this was before they really were doing flavor texts. As to what steven said... yeah I like it. Seems almost like a rite of passage or a tradition for mages. I still thing the tone is a bit too eclectic for my tastes but we'll see if these pre-orders packs are going to start settling and maybe the earlier ones were just to celebrate Valentine's and PAX (Boston theme). 

Hopefully we'll get more lore so we can get a better vibe for the game because seeing a guy in a set of medieval armor on a raptor running up to his sweets shop with his hydraswan before jumping on a stuffed bear mount to run to his Victorian ship is going to be very jarring. 

I also don't want to give off the vibe that I am bashing the lore... I'm just really concerned because immersion is what gets me to log-in when I don't feel like doing anything productive in-game. Maybe that's bad, maybe that's good... but I'd honestly rather walk around cities looking at all the small details in the game and discovering more about the world than raiding most days.
    edited July 2018
    to be utterly honest with you ... this MMO is already pushing-it with having a Cash Shop before release - do you really want it to resemble Eastern MMOs' Fashion ?  Next players will be asking can these "cosmetics" give the player's the ability to Fly/ Glide.

All items in an MMO should be earned - asinine little sh!tes who tries to cop-out with the excuse of ... 
    • " not everyone has the time for that, some people have jobs, a life and kids , etc .. "
    Obviously shouldn't be logged-in until they have the time. And they sure as he!! should not* jeopardize the integrity of an MMO just so that it accommodates ... their BS excuses

( because I know i'm missing some )   

It all starts with one - just like a (plagued) disease,  just like a small-hole where rats can easily squeeze their way in ... it'll begin to gradually, progressively get worse. The moment when a Cash Shop is even mentioned - " paranoia " kicks-in. And its marginally the reason why other MMOs might do better simply because there is no Cash Shop planned from the get-go  ( like Pantheon ) 

They could easily add-in P2W BS if they wanted to ... at any moment.
    edited July 2018
    So to avoid the hysteria of " what would become " of Ashes's Cash Shop ... don't 
  • Eragale said:
    to be utterly honest with you ... this MMO is already pushing-it with having a Cash Shop before release - do you really want it to resemble Eastern MMOs' Fashion ?  Next players will be asking can these "cosmetics" give the player's the ability to Fly/ Glide.

All items in an MMO should be earned - asinine little sh!tes who tries to cop-out with the excuse of ... 
    • " not everyone has the time for that, some people have jobs, a life and kids , etc .. 
    I think you are over thinking this. Just because you can fly or float does not make it a  eastern MMO it just makes it a fantasy game
    edited July 2018
    Intrepid has a good thing set-up-already . Let the Node Leader be the only person to have 1 flying-pet-mount . Which wlll be 4 for every Server.

Otherwise all that time spent making the beautiful world of Verra ... would no longer mean anything if it can all be skipped through via everyone flying around.

+ it'll be faster travel
    + it could be a potential " meta " - causing other players to scrutinize other players for not having it  ( i.e. everything around PvP ) 

Imagine a Raid member being kicked-out ... because they took too long to get to the location ...

gotta to remember, this is the Era of instant-gratification where everything gotta go fast-fast-fast ... almost as if they were brainwashed by  ...
    SpeedRun-PlayThroughs
  • I can't imagine they would add flying, besides the little they have said with Mayors/Kings, because of their desire to prevent fast travel and skipping content.

Their KS skins will hover off the ground though, so those types of skins will be about for sure. Rather or not they add more, and choose to do so with wings, is yet to be seen. Asking for something already in the game is different than asking for, idk, a cash shop option to buy a dragon.

I'm hoping for #nofasttravel #noflying but only time will tell :disappointed:
  • I mean the point of wings or floating is not to have an advantage it is to look interesting. I mean I'm going to wear the necro costume and see if I can have an effect to make me float, so I look like this.

Just because it's in the game does not mean it will affect gameplay. I mean how many times have we gamers spent money on cosmetics it's just something we do. It does not affect the game, but it makes us feel uniqe and that's important in a mmo.
  • Literally the first dungeon they showed off had nothing but floating mobs in it.
  • Literally the first dungeon they showed off had nothing but floating mobs in it.
    thats my point the games own lore backs this idea so it should be fine
    edited July 2018
    The only issue I have with wings as cosmetics is that it simply seems odd to have wings and not be able to actually fly.

If a game doesn't let you fly, what's the point of having wings, unless you just want to feel inept because all your wings can do is let you hover an inch off the ground.

General floating is fine because maybe its just the person levitating or something and in general levitation is limited by height because its not a fly spell, but I've always felt the wings but no flying thing just doesn't mix well for me personally.
  • Levitating ≠ Flying
  • There should be a lore based reason for wings to even exist for player characters.  I despise pointless cash shop aesthetics. 

Unless it's a race that has wings; and unless the story behind the race states that the wings have become vestigial with the applicable atrophy; or actually grant some form of gliding; keep them out of the game.

Just like modern clothing; hoodies, Harajuku or any cheesy themed outfits.  I understand people like to dress up their dollies; but I want to play in a fantasy universe with it's own styles and cultures; not rehashes of pop culture which break immersion.

• What the man from Tanith said ^^
  • Yeah, must suck to be Ostriches and Penguins.