Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Cosmetics, immersion and profits

A: why I dont like cosmetics

Immersion breaking.
Possibility of   $$ for Gold trading.
Silly looks.
Epic looks on low lv players.

However cosmetics are a good way for studios to make money and so they should like any other business.

B: how cosmetics could implemented(+ideas)

Player buys flame breathing, flame manned flaming Lion Fire element mount.
 In order to equip player needs to be:
Of certain level
Completed a series of difficult quests
Class category compatability with theme of cosmetic.
In other words and to be blunt: pay for it-studio thanksyouverymuch- and be baddass in order to look baddass.

Unlock armor/weapon appearance change
$$
and certain level.

Wings:
$$
certain level
certain quests

Or we can have an option in the settings to hide other player cosmetics and the studio can sell lots and lots of them, players can run around in bright wings and lolipop swords ridding mechanical wolves.

How do you feel about cosmetics and how would you like to see them in a game that finaly brought back subscription for active accounts?

Comments

• Options
    I think you need to do more research. All good to come in all full of piss and vinegar yelling about what you don't want to see. But they have already addressed those concerns multiple times. Cosmetics are account bound and cannot be gifted or sold. So there is your RMT gone right there. Cosmetics so far are just concept art and we have been assured repeatedly that they won't be cartoony or out of place for their esthetique. There as far as stated now will not be a toggle for you to turn off cosmetics and possibly gain a visual advantage in pvp as to what someone is wearing. The amount and quality of cosmetics found in game will be comparable to the cash shop items. So if you don't like something in the cash shop, you are going to have an equal chance of not liking something someone gets as a cosmetic effect for completing a questline or other mechanic in game. The "runes mah merssion!" crowd are the vegans of the gaming world. We get it, you don't like something. Doesn't mean the rest of us are going to stop eating delicious, tasty Bacon.
  • Options
    Also, the forums (and I am sure Discord) have been full of members that have voiced multiple opinions about almost every cosmetic released. The Stuffertons Drama was real for a minute, but there was also a lot of positive and helpful feedback from Steven himself during those darker times.

So, I think your concerns are real and legitimate. I like a lot of what you said. Hopefully, if an 8th level quest is required to earn a cosmetic you won't be able to buy it's cash shop equivalent before 8th level. We don't know how that is going to look yet.

As far as epic "looking" gear on low level characters, to me that's just customization and the more options the better, imo.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2018
    Not every player that has epic gear will want to wear it as it doesn't fit the role they had decided to portray. There will always be epreens standing around for everyone to admire them, and I get it, they are proud of their stuff.  Everyone has an idea of how they want to present themselves, and it's up to us to let it be.  It may not be our personal taste, but you can go into Wal-Mart and be just as offended; that's in every culture be it real life or in a game.  Just accept that we are all individuals and not clones, and it will make your gaming life happier.
  • Options
    I think you need to do more research. All good to come in all full of piss and vinegar yelling about what you don't want to see. But they have already addressed those concerns multiple times. Cosmetics are account bound and cannot be gifted or sold. So there is your RMT gone right there. Cosmetics so far are just concept art and we have been assured repeatedly that they won't be cartoony or out of place for their esthetique. There as far as stated now will not be a toggle for you to turn off cosmetics and possibly gain a visual advantage in pvp as to what someone is wearing. The amount and quality of cosmetics found in game will be comparable to the cash shop items. So if you don't like something in the cash shop, you are going to have an equal chance of not liking something someone gets as a cosmetic effect for completing a questline or other mechanic in game. The "runes mah merssion!" crowd are the vegans of the gaming world. We get it, you don't like something. Doesn't mean the rest of us are going to stop eating delicious, tasty Bacon.
    I'll be dammed, I agree with you....this time.
  • Options
    I'll be dammed, I agree with you....this time.
    hahaha well that got a genuine laugh out of me
  • Options
    Every piece of cosmetic artwork shown for this game so far only enhances immersion, not takes away from it.  You can have a game that achieves character appearance individuality without any of those problems you mentioned @gb1990gaming.

I'd say cosmetics themselves are not the root of those problems, but rather simply a lack of cohesive art direction. 

As to the nature of characters appearing to be something they're not, well, people do that all the time in life. ;) Deception is a tactic.

But that notion aside, cosmetics also open up possibilities for people who make story driven videos, for youtube for example.  If you want X number of characters in your story, it's nice to have your core group of actors play the widest variety of roles possible without having to put hundreds of hours into multiple characters.  Cosmetics in game helps with this immensely. 
  • Options
    To be honest, I feel like this is not an issue after StufferGate. As has been previously mentioned, Intrepid has assured us that their cosmetics will not be cartoon-y and out of place vis-à-vis the world.

If new/low-level players having cool costumes is really that big of an issue for you, then I pity the fragility of your immersion. But that's your issue, not necessarily anyone else's, or the game's.
  • Options
    The cosmetics aren't going to completely moronic like TERA Online.  Don't worry. :)