Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Lets Talk Spells

I've been thinking about this, and I know what I would like to see. I have always been a big fan of the fantasy genre. I have read 100's of books, and I feel I have a solid idea of what a wizard should be capable of. I am most fond of the wizards and their ability's from forgotten realms publishers.

The standard offensive spells are ofc required. Your lightning bolts, fireballs, magic missiles etc., and ofc these should have power scaled off of level or a stat like "INT". However I am hoping that the list of spells is overwhelming. Also, not every spell need be a dmg spell. Here are just some off the top of my head;

- Light Orb - ball of light that floats by you.
- Scrying - Ability to look at a far away area under certain conditions.
- Levitation - not flying
- Invisibility - duh
- Transmorph - think harry potter
- Enchanting - perhaps as a secondary process to crafting.
- Telekinesis - move it with your head.
- Illusions - Am i really here?
- Terraforming - Naruto, earth style? Not so temporary changes to terrain.
- Summoning - not the class (although it would likely be that class to use this), like bringing a person to you, even if that person is only there temporarily and confined to a circle of summoning. Or perhaps a specific mob as long as you know the name, circle rule applies still.
- Charms - my enemy is now my friend.
- Wind - Handy on the seas.

OMG this is endless, floating hands, acid lakes, globes of darkness, farie fire...

What do you all think. I know Steve has said things along the lines of some spells being utility, but I would love to pick what spells to learn before heading out, and having hundreds of options if I were advanced enough to choose from.

Comments

• I like where you're going with this. Some of my best experiences creating mage type characters revolved around agonizing over spell selection. I truly hope the devs can put together a deep magic system where everyone is not cookie cutter.
  • Curse of Corruption - Sometimes you want to curse someone, not because they attacked you but because they are jerks. Curse of Corruption let's you give someone corruption without being attacked, however it comes at a price. You also become corrupted.
  • I am hoping for some completely useless spells too, that people will go for, just because.

"Why are you leaving a trail of pink flowers where you run?"
    "Reasons..."
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2018
    *Wand of Many Things*   Was a Kickstarter/Summer thing.
  • T-Elf said:
    I thought we failed to reach that
  • To be honest when it comes to spells you can do anything and everything so no point thinking about if because I might aswell create a spell that harvests cosmic energies and create stars in the palms of my hands blowing all of verra up cause magic. 
    edited June 2018
    nagash said:
    T-Elf said:
    We did fail horribly to reach that goal. But since Steven liked the toy so much, and there was so much shit being talked over the wordsmithing of "package isn't exclusive, price is exclusive!" that he decided that everyone would get the wand. So KS people besides the a la carte addons they can purchase will get the dance, the furniture set (which we also didn't hit, but were close), and the wand.

• nagash said:
    T-Elf said:
    We did fail horribly to reach that goal. But since Steven liked the toy so much, and there was so much shit being talked over the wordsmithing of "package isn't exclusive, price is exclusive!" that he decided that everyone would get the wand. So KS people besides the a la carte addons they can purchase will get the dance, the furniture set (which we also didn't hit, but were close), and the wand.

Oh well thats good news 
  • I'd always view spells as each Element having an Offensive & Defensive Spell - each still having multiple variations. Which can be further conveyed via Action-Combat
  • nagash said:
    T-Elf said:
    Someone used the Wand of Many Things to make a Wand of Many Things for us.
  • What do you all think. I know Steve has said things along the lines of some spells being utility, but I would love to pick what spells to learn before heading out, and having hundreds of options if I were advanced enough to choose from.

I always liked hybrid classes so I always wanted the Eldritch Knight fighter specialization.  I loves me a good battle mage.  I tried to make my character as well rounded as possible so while I would, of course, go with some offensive or defensive spells I also liked utility spells.  Things like Light, Knock, Detect Magic, Featherfall and Darkvision.  Those were my bread and butter because, while I did sometimes try, you can't just batter your way thru a dungeon with your sword and a Magic Missile spell.  
  • ... forgotten realms publishers.

- Light Orb - ball of light that floats by you.
    - Scrying - Ability to look at a far away area under certain conditions.
    - Levitation - not flying
    - Invisibility - duh
    - Transmorph - think harry potter
    - Enchanting - perhaps as a secondary process to crafting.
    - Telekinesis - move it with your head.
    - Illusions - Am i really here?
    - Terraforming - Naruto, earth style? Not so temporary changes to terrain.
    - Summoning - not the class (although it would likely be that class to use this), like bringing a person to you, even if that person is only there temporarily and confined to a circle of summoning. Or perhaps a specific mob as long as you know the name, circle rule applies still.
    - Charms - my enemy is now my friend.
    - Wind - Handy on the seas.

OMG this is endless, floating hands, acid lakes, globes of darkness, farie fire...
    Love it.  Love D&D even though I have never played the pen and paper, I've read all of RA Salvatore's material and a good amount of Paul S Kemp and a few others.  Not sure if I'd be happy having to wait till midnight (in game) to restore or change out my priest spells.  I also would love an expansive library of spells for priests and mage.  The mage would have to choose certain spells to memorize and use until the next chance he got to meditate which should take like 30 seconds so they can't swap spells on the fly in PvP.  Same with priests.

Melee classes should have to focus on the same certain techniques and attacks.
  • The thing with magic is that it has endless possibilities, with the amount of fiction out there you get a lot of spells/magics and their strenght varies greatly too. Give me a spatial teleport and some gravity spells and I'd be happy (though I doubt you can have non-op gravity spells...)
  • sunfrog said:
    Curse of Corruption - Sometimes you want to curse someone, not because they attacked you but because they are jerks. Curse of Corruption let's you give someone corruption without being attacked, however it comes at a price. You also become corrupted.
    I would be all for this!
  • Warkov said:
    sunfrog said:
    Curse of Corruption - Sometimes you want to curse someone, not because they attacked you but because they are jerks. Curse of Corruption let's you give someone corruption without being attacked, however it comes at a price. You also become corrupted.
    I would be all for this!
    I always loved the fluff spell in EQ2 that let me turn people into a chicken.  :p
    edited July 2018
    @nagash ... you like Necromancer-like Abilities, right ? 
    Check this out   :p
  • Eragale said:
    @nagash ... you like Necromancer-like Abilities, right ? 
    Check this out  :pensive:
    I fail to see how that is necromancer related o.O it strikes me as more physic, telepathic type.
    edited July 2018
    @AutumnLeaf
    ya know like ... like Draining the Life out of someon- ya know what nvm T.T
  • Eragale said:
    @AutumnLeaf
    yeah that more like telekinesis than necromacy 
  • nagash said:
    Eragale said:
    @AutumnLeaf
    Would soul related abilities classify as Necromancy ? technicall they should :o 
  • nagash said:
    Eragale said:
    @AutumnLeaf
    Would soul related abilities classify as Necromancy ? technicall they should :o 
    It would as the art of making undead is binding the souls of the dead to a base e.g bones
  • ... that was Soul-related though ... 
  • Eragale said:
    ... that was Soul-related though ... 
    that's more spirit magic or blood magic. they do have some overlap with necromancy but they are different. As for the magic used in that clip, I would say that spirt magic 
  • close-enough  :p
  • nagash said:
    Eragale said:
    that's more spirit magic or blood magic. they do have some overlap with necromancy but they are different. As for the magic used in that clip, I would say that spirt magic 
    No no no those tentacles are an obvious proof that it's henious erotic nefarious tactical agile interpersonal type of magic, yep I'm pretty sure of that.
  • nagash said:
    Eragale said:
    No no no those tentacles are an obvious proof that it's henious erotic nefarious tactical agile interpersonal type of magic, yep I'm pretty sure of that.
    clap clap well done you just made me laugh so hard I spat out me tea
  • nagash said:
    nagash said:
    Eragale said:
    Cant let up an opportunity like that, though treat the tea with some more respect...it is a sacred beverage.
  • nagash said:
    nagash said:
    Eragale said:
    Cant let up an opportunity like that, though treat the tea with some more respect...it is a sacred beverage.
    See i read it the first time and did not notice then I took a sip of tea and it hit me.
  • nagash said:
    nagash said:
    nagash said:
    Eragale said:
    See i read it the first time and did not notice then I took a sip of tea and it hit me.
    The first time always hurts the worst :/