Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Dungeons and Dragons Ashes of Creation

So last stream as i am sure a lot of people noticed he suggested having a in house D&D game designed by Steven himself built in and around the world/lore of Ashes of Creation. He would offer developers on his team at intrepid cash bonus prizes to participate. This has weighed on my mind a long time. 

I really strongly back this idea for us the community I feel its a great opportunity to get to see more lore/story/world information second hand. When we the community of Ashes of Creation are so hungry for information this would really give us all a chance in a fun way to see the true ideas in play early sneak peak wise. 

Secondly, I really think Steven should offer a "seat" at the table via stream or something to a community member via random drawing from donations for a cheritable organization. i.e. something like community members drop 20 USD into a pot for a charitable organization of his choosing and one at random gets to play at the table and see the would of Ashes of Creation first hand in Stevens Dungeon Mastered dream. 

Comments

• I think this would be fun to participate in, as I am an avid D&D player/lover, but for me it's the least spectator worthy thing possible. Watching players play D&D without participating, imo, is boring regardless.

That aside, I can see the benefit of a Skype/Discord/Twitch or whatever type of digital seat at their table.

I think this would have to be after release though, during beta at the earliest maybe, due to the desire of IS to keep the lore as hush-hush as possible as long as possible.
  • Speaking of D&D it would be great if Steven can incorporate D&D mechanics into the game itself. I noticed lots of MMO's generate numbers when it comes to their combat systems, abilities, stats, and weapons/armor grades. With D&D you could track exactly how much damage you're doing, and how much this vorpal longsword would do in combat for your character instead of this sunblade. In most MMOs, the weapons have numbers, it's just when you attack and deal X amount of damage, you don't know where the number comes from, or if someone pulled it out of a hat. Sorry, got sidetracked a little and didn't directly address the content of the original post, but saw D&D and couldn't resist.
  • I would prefer there not be an easy way to determine DPS, but that is another conversation that has occurred in many threads on this very forum. I do think armor/weapons should obviously state their properties though.

As for tracking damage in D&D, I think the need is different since at the table top you have to determine the damage you do and relay that to someone else. In a video game you don't have to add it up every round and then plug it in.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2018
    Darksaber said:
    Speaking of D&D it would be great if Steven can incorporate D&D mechanics into the game itself. I noticed lots of MMO's generate numbers when it comes to their combat systems, abilities, stats, and weapons/armor grades. With D&D you could track exactly how much damage you're doing, and how much this vorpal longsword would do in combat for your character instead of this sunblade. In most MMOs, the weapons have numbers, it's just when you attack and deal X amount of damage, you don't know where the number comes from, or if someone pulled it out of a hat. Sorry, got sidetracked a little and didn't directly address the content of the original post, but saw D&D and couldn't resist.
    I don't know of a single MMO where you don't know if one weapon is better than the other.  I'm not sure such an MMO would be playable.

As for knowing exactly what your weapon will do in combat, D&D doesn't tell you that.  You may know what dice you'll roll for damage and you may know what bonuses you'll have (situational bonuses or static ones) but the damage you do will depend on how well you attack (which will depend on your attack roll dice result), how well you roll damage on your damage dice after you hit, and what kinds of defenses your enemies will have to counteract that damage.

In other words, it's exactly like an MMO.
    edited July 2018
    Atama said:
    Darksaber said:
    Speaking of D&D it would be great if Steven can incorporate D&D mechanics into the game itself. I noticed lots of MMO's generate numbers when it comes to their combat systems, abilities, stats, and weapons/armor grades. With D&D you could track exactly how much damage you're doing, and how much this vorpal longsword would do in combat for your character instead of this sunblade. In most MMOs, the weapons have numbers, it's just when you attack and deal X amount of damage, you don't know where the number comes from, or if someone pulled it out of a hat. Sorry, got sidetracked a little and didn't directly address the content of the original post, but saw D&D and couldn't resist.
    I don't know of a single MMO where you don't know if one weapon is better than the other.  I'm not sure such an MMO would be playable.

As for knowing exactly what your weapon will do in combat, D&D doesn't tell you that.  You may know what dice you'll roll for damage and you may know what bonuses you'll have (situational bonuses or static ones) but the damage you do will depend on how well you attack (which will depend on your attack roll dice result), how well you roll damage on your damage dice after you hit, and what kinds of defenses your enemies will have to counteract that damage.

In other words, it's exactly like an MMO.

What I meant is that the damage dealt by a weapon can be determined in D&D but not in most mmos. If you did 8 damage with a longsword in D&D (you rolled a 6 for damage), then it's your strength bonus (+2) plus your weapon base bonus (1D8). You rolled a hit, then rolled a 6 on damage, therefor 6 + 2(str modifier) to give 8. In most MMO's if you hit for 30 points of damage, there's no way of exactly calculating it. You just relatively know your weapon has a damage number attached to it plus some skills and your abilities. It's ambiguous. This is the difference between D&D and MMOs.
    edited July 2018
    Darksaber said:
    What I meant is that the damage dealt by a weapon can be determined in D&D but not in most mmos. If you did 8 damage with a longsword in D&D (you rolled a 6 for damage), then it's your strength bonus (+2) plus your weapon base bonus (1D8). You rolled a hit, then rolled a 6 on damage, therefor 6 + 2(str modifier) to give 8. In most MMO's if you hit for 30 points of damage, there's no way of exactly calculating it. You just relatively know your weapon has a damage number attached to it plus some skills and your abilities. It's ambiguous. This is the difference between D&D and MMOs.

Almost all MMO's follow the same basic principle. If a sword in a game says it does (as an example) 67 - 102 damage, a D&D mind could look at that as 66+(1d36) damage.

This means that if that 1d36 rolled a 1, then the damage would be 67, and if it rolled a 36, the damage would be 102. Each and every value in between has an equal chance of being rolled. This perfectly mimics the damage calculations of all MMO's I've played.

Some games display weapon and ability values after taking in to account your current stats, but some don't (str bonus and such). The calculation for this varies greatly between games, but is never hard to figure out, and is available via google for anyone that wants it. 

From there though, the encounter has it's own stats. It could be mitigation (which would remove a percentage of the damage), or it could be damage reduction (which reduces a flat amount of damage). Just to make things fun, some MMO's have negative values of these two stats on some encounters, and debuffs on encounters also modify it greatly.

Very few MMO's outright provide players with the stats of encounters, and because of this, many players don't even consider it as a factor.

If an encounter has 10% mitigation, and you rolled a 1 on your 1d36 from above, when you think you should do no less than 67 damage based on your weapon stats, you instead do 67-10%, which rounded means that attack now does 60 damage - a value outside of your listed weapon damage.

On the other hand, if you have someone in your group that adds a negative damage reduction to your target (say, adds 20 damage on all melee hits), if you rolled 36 on your 1d36, rather than doing 102 damage- the maximum listed for your weapon, you would do 122 damage.

Most casual players don't look enough in to the games they play to have much of an understanding of these things, and just think the numbers on weapons and abilities are essentially meaningless outside of comparing one to another. They don't take in to account what else may affect their damage, even though MMORPG's are literally the most complex games ever made.

When you look in to it though, it all works basically as above - in basically every MMO.
  • Yes.
  • @Noaani
    I am a casual player, and I have never looked that deep into the damage/stats of encounters in the very few MMO's I have played. I am also a D&D player, and have looked greatly into those stats in every single player game I own. For me the difference is I haven't found an MMO that really deserves that much effort.
  • Ok.  I'm seated in the 'tavern', have ordered an ale, and am waiting for a total stranger to walk up to me and request my help on a matter of crucial importance for the future of the town...……..
  • Azathoth said:
    @Noaani
    I am a casual player, and I have never looked that deep into the damage/stats of encounters in the very few MMO's I have played. I am also a D&D player, and have looked greatly into those stats in every single player game I own. For me the difference is I haven't found an MMO that really deserves that much effort.

There isn't one.

In my opinion there is no better experience than a well crafted paper and pencil RPG session with a group of friends...….
  • @Crymoar, if you were local we could have an amazing session! :smiley:
  • I would love to host a game on roll 20 using D&D rules with the world of ashes. im still hosting a game with a few friends but if anyone does decide to host a game count me in ^^
  • Yeah, pencil me in for that too. Would be pretty cool to do, especially if we hosted it on twitch or something.
  • Spun666 said:
    Yeah, pencil me in for that too. Would be pretty cool to do, especially if we hosted it on twitch or something.
    We may get Steven ( blessed be his name) to host a one off game of this takes off.
  • I like my groups with 4-5 players +DM, I haven't gone digital yet. If I was going to play D&D online, I would just play a video game :frowning:
  • Azathoth said:
    I like my groups with 4-5 players +DM, I haven't gone digital yet. If I was going to play D&D online, I would just play a video game :frowning:
    While I do prefer D&D in real life some times it easier with roll 20 especially when you have to make maps in advance.
  • Azathoth said:
    @Noaani
    If you're having fun and stuff is dying in the MMO you're playing, you don't need to worry about the details.

The main point of my post was simply to point out that the systems used in MMO's are not that far removed from D&D, the main difference is that an MMO has far more variables, and no Monster Manual to look them all up in.
  • I agree with you, as a casual player the MMO's I can spend my time in I don't spend diving into details. Where as the solo games I play, and have played, allowed me the time to sink my teeth that deep into game play.

I guess for me I would hope for a double edged sword with Ashes. A game I could invest that many hours into but not invoke me into memorizing stats (even if just through checking the same boss monsters stats a few times on a wiki).

Part of my immersion is not thinking monsters have hit points and what not. :smile:
  • If anyone is in the Denver area, let's do a D&D game! 
  • Audacity said:
    If anyone is in the Denver area, let's do a D&D game! 
    Not too far of a drive from California 9_9
  • Urge to host an online game growing. to much, must stop
  • nagash said:
    Urge to host an online game growing. to much, must stop
    I am going to be quite disappointed in you if you don't.
  • I want in @nagash, show you what a true source of magic and insanity can do :wink:
  • I want to see how someone would implement a corruption mechanic, oh boyoboy.
  • D&D 3.5 had 'taint' and 'corruption' I believe.
    It resulted in deformed features granting both bonuses and penalties though. So in a 'heroes' game I would argue for penalties only.
  • Azathoth said:
    I like my groups with 4-5 players +DM, I haven't gone digital yet. If I was going to play D&D online, I would just play a video game :frowning: 

Nah man, you GOTTA check out Roll 20. When my son lived 8 hours away I ran an entire campaign for him and a friend using Roll 20 and Team Speak.

They have it so it works pretty well!

• Crymoar said:
    Azathoth said:

Nah man, you GOTTA check out Roll 20. When my son lived 8 hours away I ran an entire campaign for him and a friend using Roll 20 and Team Speak.

They have it so it works pretty well!

yep and if you have some (read most) of the map packs you can make anything ^^