Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Ashes of creation D&D

As some of you know I'm a huge fan of lore in games, and after watching the stream this month, I was excited when Steven said he was going to do a D&D play through in the world of Verra. See I've been hosting a game of kingdom death in the world of Verra with a few friends which ended a few weeks ago.  The reason I'm making this thread is twofold. First is to see how many of you would join a ashes of comunity D&D campaign and the second point is to see how you would want a campaign to be played out. e.g. before the fall or the first week back in Verra.

If you could please write down your views, I would be grateful also huge thanks to @Griffus and @c0ug4r for the idea. if you have any questions, please ask. ^^

Comments

• Online D&D Games....

Oh how I have missed them. 

I wish you the best in this project, sounds like it could be a lot of fun!
  • I would absolutely love to do this, but my schedule is a little too busy right now. In a couple months I would ready, but until then know that you have my support
  • Zastro said:
    I would absolutely love to do this, but my schedule is a little too busy right now. In a couple months I would ready, but until then know that you have my support
    Thank Zastro. as of now im just hoping to get information before I do make a game so you never know ^^
  • Ye can count me in, Nagasushi!
    (Don't know about the scheduling or anything, but if I can I will!)

• Well if that is the case, if I had a choice as to the time frame to play in I think it would be interesting to play before the fall or close to it; before the world descends into chaos and during the "calm before the storm" so to speak. Sort of the same time period as "Dillia's Diary".
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2018
    I think a campaign focused on our particular group getting back to Verra would be interesting and fun. 

Yes, it's true, we don't know enough lore to make this adventure "accurate" to what we'll later know in the game - but at this stage, not knowing is rather freeing is it not?
    For our roleplaying entertainment, you can come up with whatever you want to paint this experience.

Perhaps the path from the exiled world to Verra isn't a straight "point A to point B" hop either... but several realms in between?   The campaign could take our characters through all sorts of strange worlds before our ultimate arrival.  Seems like a prime setup for an adventure, or even series of adventures. 

Just my two coppers, 'fer what it's worth!
  • The thing that would be interesting about having a campaign set on the other world is that there isn't any magic there (if I am remembering correctly that is). It would be all martial classes, which isn't a bad thing necessarily.
  • Zastro said:
    The thing that would be interesting about having a campaign set on the other world is that there isn't any magic there (if I am remembering correctly that is). It would be all martial classes, which isn't a bad thing necessarily.
    You are indeed remembering correctly.
    That's actually the reason why I entertained the thought of "other worlds in-between" there and Verra - in case some people did want to play magic classes.   (Obviously, magic would work in some of those other realms.)
    Also, easing one's way into magic lightly might be ideal since we don't really know too much about it in Ashes yet. 
    (And if @Nagash wanted to use magic at all in his game, I imagine he might copy bits and pieces from existing tabletop rpg systems.)
  • @nagash KDM fan? I am a god frogdog backer! Always down to play some KDM!
  • @nagash KDM fan? I am a god frogdog backer! Always down to play some KDM!
    I would love to host kingdom death game but role 20 does not suport the game and most people know how to play D&D.
  • Pencil me for this as well. I can't start until September (moving) but I think this would be absolutely amazing.

Before the fall would be fun, assuming we have enough lore to go off of. Kind of play out that idea. Maybe even bring those characters up to where we would be returning back to Verra. Idk how that would play out but would be interesting creating a prestory for our AoC toons.

Or have them be the ancestors of our AoC toons would make more sense timeframe wise.
  • Zastro said:
    The thing that would be interesting about having a campaign set on the other world is that there isn't any magic there (if I am remembering correctly that is). It would be all martial classes, which isn't a bad thing necessarily.
    There has to be some magic or the portals couldn't open.  Perhaps there is limited magic and then the D&D game could work with that in the land we are leaving.  I already play D&D 3x a week.
  • T-Elf said:
      I already play D&D 3x a week.
    How do you find the time?!

• I LOVE D&D. I heard the d20 system (though I've never tried it) works great, just as good as pen and paper. If you guys are thinking of starting up a d20 game for the AoC community, count me in.

Also, I vote for first week back in Verra. Just the opportunity to explore an expansive brand new land lush with landscape with my trusted sword by my side and a handful of others is awesome, IMO.
  • Thank you all so much for your feedback it helps me so much. I would like to get some more feedback before I start hosting the game as I need to make lore and maps, so I'm hoping to start the campaign around late August. If anyone would like to join around that time then please leave your name here. It does not matter how much experience you have with D&D. I would ideally like to have a maximum of 6 people, but if the demand is large enough, I may even host two campaigns.
  • Can we play chaotic neutral characters?

• Also, will you stream it so we can watch if we don't play?

• I'm interrested, but what system verson of D&D are you going to use?  3, 3.5, 4 or 5
  • I'm interrested, but what system verson of D&D are you going to use?  3, 3.5, 4 or 5
    Got something against the best version ever.... 2nd Ed.? ;)
  • Audacity said:
    Can we play chaotic neutral characters?

Yes that's fine

Audacity said:
    Also, will you stream it so we can watch if we don't play?

If We get the game up and running i would like too

I'm interrested, but what system verson of D&D are you going to use?  3, 3.5, 4 or 5
    5th edition 
  • I have no experience with 5th edition, but I am open to anything.
  • Same here have not played 5th edition (will have to use hero lab 5th edition for creation here). But I am in if you will have me.
  • T-Elf said:
      I already play D&D 3x a week.
    How do you find the time?!

It's magic!  :P
  • A lot of 5th addition is a toned down more robust version of 3.5.
    As for 4 (which I despised) the classes were super balanced (because they were all the same class) but in 5th they are super balanced just by reducing a lot of the overall modifiers.

If you can 3.5 you can 5ed.
  • I really haven't played D&D since 2nd edition.  I feel so out of date.
    I think I played some Pathfinder somewhere awhile back though. 
  • Azathoth said:
    A lot of 5th addition is a toned down more robust version of 3.5.
    As for 4 (which I despised) the classes were super balanced (because they were all the same class) but in 5th they are super balanced just by reducing a lot of the overall modifiers.

If you can 3.5 you can 5ed.
    It also helps that roll20 has a ton of features when it comes to 5ed
  • nagash said:
    @nagash KDM fan? I am a god frogdog backer! Always down to play some KDM!
    I would love to host kingdom death game but role 20 does not suport the game and most people know how to play D&D.
    I've played on TTS a couple times. It's a bit clunky, but get s the job done ok.
  • I am a huge D&D fan and have been playing for about 5 years now. I would definitely take part in a D&D campaign in this setting. I think it would be pretty fun. 
  • nagash said:
    @nagash KDM fan? I am a god frogdog backer! Always down to play some KDM!
    I've played on TTS a couple times. It's a bit clunky, but get s the job done ok.
    its a bit clunky with TTS I've tried playing games but the map making is lacking.

I am a huge D&D fan and have been playing for about 5 years now. I would definitely take part in a D&D campaign in this setting. I think it would be pretty fun. 
    I'm glad to hear ^^