Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Do we need a lottery system for prime locations in game?

I know we will get an apartments, a home in town and a freehold, and freeholds will be 1 per account I think. Plus a citizen lock per account to whatever town we pick.

So..............Knowing this, do we need to have a lottery system in place for the prime locations?

Only the prime spots would fall under a system like that, every place else would just stay 1st come 1st served.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• The world of Verra is going to be so huge, that if people spread out it shouldn't be that hard.  Plus, Intrepid wants people to value the plot they do manage to get, and doing a lottery is kind of lazy.  They want people to be at the actual locations.  What I am wondering is if they are going to do like DAoC (Dark Age of Camelot) where the plot starts at a high price and comes down every hour until someone purchases it.
  • T-Elf said:
    The world of Verra is going to be so huge, that if people spread out it shouldn't be that hard.  Plus, Intrepid wants people to value the plot they do manage to get, and doing a lottery is kind of lazy.  They want people to be at the actual locations.  What I am wondering is if they are going to do like DAoC (Dark Age of Camelot) where the plot starts at a high price and comes down every hour until someone purchases it.

Not sure on that, but mainly I am thinking people might fight over that 1 location, you know where more people hangout vs other places. That makes that one spot a prime area to build in. I placed SWG when it was out, and I remember player towns that were dead, no one really came there, but areas around the busy NPCs towns, players put up their shops in those areas more.

With the huge land for AoC, I jut don't see people going out in the middle of nowhere, if they want to do whatever business in towns. and why I am thinking would a lotto system be a good idea. I know it's not the best idea, but still an idea. lol

• No.  

I think there needs to be potentially something other than a first come, first serve system for the housing in a Stage 3 node though.

Maybe a walking auction for it.   You don't want the node to hit stage 3 and the guy standing in town gets to buy it just because he's is there.    Maybe he can put down a price he's willing to pay and then that price is listed for 30 mins - 1 hour and then you can keep walking the price up until whoever most recently had it. 

Also, a no snipe option.  Whenever the highest price is set it has a minimum timer of 10 minutes.

For freeholds - whoever gets there, gets their deed and goes back gets the property.  Not a big deal on this one since you must have an item from the Town Vendor people can spread out and do their thing.

• Jahlon said:
    No.  

I think there needs to be potentially something other than a first come, first serve system for the housing in a Stage 3 node though.

Maybe a walking auction for it.   You don't want the node to hit stage 3 and the guy standing in town gets to buy it just because he's is there.    Maybe he can put down a price he's willing to pay and then that price is listed for 30 mins - 1 hour and then you can keep walking the price up until whoever most recently had it. 

Also, a no snipe option.  Whenever the highest price is set it has a minimum timer of 10 minutes.

For freeholds - whoever gets there, gets their deed and goes back gets the property.  Not a big deal on this one since you must have an item from the Town Vendor people can spread out and do their thing.

I hear you, but I keep thinking about that one location, you know what I mean, the one that has the most foot traffic. The one place people see 1st, and spend the most time at or in. It's the golden ticket spot in my book, and worth millions to whoever gets it.
  • That feeling when you misclick the poll option.
  • Nah since the world is run by the players (mostly) there is no need for something like this, being at the right time at the right place is also a skill >.<
  • I'm going to build my house underground so I'm fine but if I see any of you I'm going to release the minions 

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2018
    Don't forget, you will lose your stronghold in sieges and de-leveling of a node.  So that perfect spot you found, might not be yours forever.
  • nagash said:
    I'm going to build my house underground so I'm fine but if I see any of you I'm going to release the minions 
    We are gonna be neighbors.
    edited August 2018
    I don't understand the point of this to be honest.

As for the SWG reference, if the "main" city becomes a ghost town because players are focusing on surrounding locations, those locations will become "main" cities.

Why should it be anything other than first come first serve?

Nobody will know when a node is going to level, just that it has. If you are in the area to get that one spot you, and others desire, and you grab it good for you. Would you want to be the only one there and then be told to "take a number" or "bid" for it?

As for "that one sweet spot" I m not sure what you mean.
    If it's a nice manor inside town, if you weren't there to buy it first, you shouldn't have an option until it becomes available.
    If it's a freehold location and you found the perfect spot first and set up housing, nobody can even try to claim it without starting a siege on the node whose ZOI it's in.

If a player wishes to sell their house, they should be able to do so to whomever for whatever cost they choose. If a house in a node 3 zone is unoccupied it should have a base cost, and first come first serve on whoever can afford it.

Again, I am lost as to why it wouldn't be first come first serve, but that's my opinion.

Edit: grammar
  • No. 

I was here first so my townhouse is mine, not yours unless I don't pay my rent, die IRL or my node is destroyed completely 
  • No.

Unlike other games, housing in Ashes isn't permanent. Every node siege has the possibility of seeing someone lose their home.

First come, first served is, in my mind, perfectly acceptable in Ashes, and should a player miss out on a spot that is suitable for what they want to do, then they will have to be more on to it when the opportunity comes around again.

Players should be rewarded for being prepared, not for winning the RNG.
  • I'm leaning towards 'no', but am hardly informed enough to have a solid opinion. I trust the devs to implement the features in a thoughtful way, however.
  • Ok fair enough guys, like I said was just an idea. Doesn't mean it's one that is needed. But remembering my time in SWG, player towns did turn into ghost towns after a few months. I don't remember anything being said about there being NPCs towns or cities in AoC, and I hope that we don't get them. It's one of the things that helped to kill player towns in SWG. People stayed in the NPC town more then they did in player towns, from what I remembered.

Anyway, we will see how this plays out, right now it's a huge guest.

• Granthor said:

Ok fair enough guys, like I said was just an idea. Doesn't mean it's one that is needed. But remembering my time in SWG, player towns did turn into ghost towns after a few months. I don't remember anything being said about there being NPCs towns or cities in AoC, and I hope that we don't get them. It's one of the things that helped to kill player towns in SWG. People stayed in the NPC town more then they did in player towns, from what I remembered.

Anyway, we will see how this plays out, right now it's a huge guest.

Player towns in SWG were ghost towns because of the way SOE set up housing. We had 10 plots that we could place. Maintenance was stupidly cheap for months at a time. So what happened is people put up rings of structures just beyond the placement restrictions from the busiest cities, placed houses, paid for maybe a year of maintenance and then either left the game or just didn't bother to come back to those locations anymore. Ashes has a single structure that can be placed per account, and they have said that they will be watching the economy to make sure that fees collected to stop inactivity have bite. Also if a node is sieged and deleveled, afk or abandoned freeholds will be packed up once a certain threshold is reached.

There will be npc structures, but not towns. Npcs will inhabit node cities, which are developed by players. Which are also subject to the same rules and reasons due to conflict of removal. There may be attempts to make a Stormwind or Ironforge to use WoW examples, but there are no guarantees beyond an active playerbase defending those nodes that they will stick around for any length of time.
    edited August 2018
    I also voted no, as others have pointed out between faction wars de-leveling nodes, nodes de-leveling due to inactivity, as well as the benefits and pride of being able to say you got a sweet spot because you were there first all contributes to a natural flow.

AoC won't have the problems that SWG because they are planning systems to deal with ghost towns de-leveling which will be up to testers to makes sure isn't too fast, but fast enough that it matters.

Also it would be kind of off putting if I contribute the most to a spot that I really want to set up in and put in more resources and time and loose to someone that plays a quarter of the time I do because of a lottery system.  It would have the adverse effect of making people just put a minimum of time and resources in to get a lottery ticket and not bother doing anything more.

• Any location with tables to dance on will be the prime location.
  • The tables must have a metal bar going through the middle.