Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Will environment effect your character?

Just curious if this is planned, its a small thing I have seen in some games. Like if its raining you get wet? If its snowing you get cold? If it hot will you sweat? If so any stat impact?

Small detail but genuinely curious if they are going to go that far. 

Comments

• Environment

The first thing you notice as you enter the Ashes of Creation world is the beautiful and entrancing environment that surrounds you. What makes the Environments so interesting in Ashes is the ever-changing quality they retain. As you level up your node and more players begin to become active in that area, you will see the environment begin to fluctuate and change.[12] Weather inside the game also plays a key role on the type of events that become available and the importance on different crafting skills and abilities. For instance, being a farmer is good during harvest season and allows for multiple options of things to grow but during the winter that profession becomes void and useless. Each season will last a week in real life time.[13] The emphasis on weather with in an environment is to make the world with in the game more realistic.[14] Like any game, music is highly prioritized and each zone and node will be given its own individualistic sound, setting it apart from the rest of the world and giving it a unique feel that resonates with the players in that particular zone.[15] Just remember, the choices you make and the things you do shape the environment around you and in turn the world. [16]

http://aocwiki.net/The_World

How does weather impact combat? (Harue)

1. It has an important role in gameplay and mechanics how crops are developed and dungeons are available, hazards, etc. It will affect trade routes and economy.
    In addition, mentioned in passing but not confirmed as mechanics are that things like spells and other effects will be affected by seasons and environment. Winter in cold regions may affect cold spells making them more powerful and fire spells weaker. They have confirmed that there will not be a survival aspect to the game, so any environment effects will not have you having special requirements to enter a zone, (ala Cold Weather Gear from WoW as an example). Not much has been released so far, development beyond "We want to do this with the enviroment...." is taking a back seat to core systems design atm.
  • Oh wow thats pretty cool I guess they are going all out. Nice to know I am going to have to check that wiki.
  • The limited growing season is sure to have an enormous impact on supply of certain consumables. I am eager to see how that plays out.

I wonder what other professions will be effected by weather. Perhaps fishing, with different types of fish available depending on the season? Perhaps wood gathering (though I wonder if that has its own separate supply issues, and whether reforestation is a possibility).

• As @UnknownSystemError pointed out with the weather, I cant see many players during Winter wearing skimpy gear as they may get frostbite and bits fall off. 
  • As @UnknownSystemError pointed out with the weather, I cant see many players during Winter wearing skimpy gear as they may get frostbite and bits fall off. 
    Would be interesting if they could make a few dynamic looks for the armour/clothing that change based on season. Would such a thing even be possible?

Some have more bits than others ;)

Enviroments can also be changed by World Bosses. You're walking along find a dormant dragon, @Rumbleforge sneezes and dragon wakes up, burns down @Lexmax's treehouse and fairy boxes and the world turns into a yummy evening dish for @Nagashand his bone collectors.  

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    During the winter the water freezes and you could walk on top of it. During spring, summer, and fall, the water is liquid and you swim in it. Not sure if weather has any direct impact on character skills/abilities though.
  • Kratz said:
    As @UnknownSystemError pointed out with the weather, I cant see many players during Winter wearing skimpy gear as they may get frostbite and bits fall off. 

Enviroments can also be changed by World Bosses. You're walking along find a dormant dragon, @Rumbleforge sneezes and dragon wakes up, burns down @Lexmax's treehouse and fairy boxes and the world turns into a yummy evening dish for @Nagashand his bone collectors.  

I'll have you know that I've gone nearly two months without accidentally waking a sleeping dragon!  ;)
    (Personal record!)
  • Kratz said:
    As @UnknownSystemError pointed out with the weather, I cant see many players during Winter wearing skimpy gear as they may get frostbite and bits fall off. 

I'll have you know that I've gone nearly two months without accidentally waking a sleeping dragon!  ;)
    (Personal record!)
    yet you still wake the dead up with your infernal snoring
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    nagash said:
    yet you still wake the dead up with your infernal snoring
    Don't pay any mind to Nagash he's been grumpy ever since his bits rotted off >:)
  • They said monsters would randomly attack nodes right? Makes me wonder all the things they could come up with. Dragons, zombie armies, creatures from the deep so many possibilities.
  • Kratz said:
    They need to make this happen.