Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

A request for a tower on freeholds.

example 1

example 2

example 3

I put up 3 examples of towers, if it can be done, I am requesting that freeholds can build them on the plots. If not in town areas, at least out in the wilds. Your thoughts guys and gals?

Comments

• If you have kickstarter, go to the summer freehold skins pack and look at the level 3 house skin. They may add it in the future as a really tall structure that you used as examples, depends on what they think the impact on their systems will be.
  • I like the idea of towers, though I wouldn't want to see them littered all over the landscape like power lines.  But a few sporadic ones people put up would look cool. Perhaps even serve as landmark markers.

This is kind of makes me think that they should either be expensive in cost, or a trade off in terms of usability. (Or maybe both. )

Now, if they provided some resource benefit to the nearby community, you might have a more favorable reaction from the freehold neighbors.  Perhaps some kind of magical area of effect bonus?
  • I like the idea of towers, though I wouldn't want to see them littered all over the landscape like power lines.  But a few sporadic ones people put up would look cool. Perhaps even serve as landmark markers.

This is kind of makes me think that they should either be expensive in cost, or a trade off in terms of usability. (Or maybe both. )

Now, if they provided some resource benefit to the nearby community, you might have a more favorable reaction from the freehold neighbors.  Perhaps some kind of magical area of effect bonus?

I was thinking on the lines of something more for the magic type players. Be it they are doing potions, casting spells or raising the undead. And like you said make it a high cost too, that way you don't have them all over the place.
  • Granthor said:
    I like the idea of towers, though I wouldn't want to see them littered all over the landscape like power lines.  But a few sporadic ones people put up would look cool. Perhaps even serve as landmark markers.

I was thinking on the lines of something more for the magic type players. Be it they are doing potions, casting spells or raising the undead. And like you said make it a high cost too, that way you don't have them all over the place.
    Mage towers do seem most likely but don't forget about lookout/outpost towers, bell towers, or even aristocratic vanity towers.  I like the variety potential. It's just the population density Im a bit concerned about.  But perhaps that concern is a needless one to begin with. 
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    A tower where I can keep all my books, grimoires and other un-holy objects would be great plus looking down on the common rabble from above is a sight to admire. Ah lets not forget the tea, there has to be tea.
  • This would be pretty cool in a Metropolis and I think would be thematically fitting. I don't want to see a ton of random ass towers popping up in freeholds though, like @Rumbleforge said, like power lines. 

I see a freehold like this and its gonna stand out. First one I hit after a siege.
    edited August 2018
    To be honest, my suggestion at towers providing some sort of benefit to the immediate community is based on my own real life experience.  

When wind turbine projects start in rural communities, they are ALWAYS devisive. 
    Threre are those who are pro and con for ideological reasons, but mostly they divide lines between those that profit from them and those who don't. (Land owners vs other residents )  But everyone has to live with them, because they are highly visible structures. To ease the initial phases of these projects, the energy company may offer a "friendly neighbor" payment to residents who live within 1500 feet of a turbine location.  

So, using this example in my thinking, I can't help but wonder if a giant freehold tower could provide some sort of economic, trade, or social benefit to nearby freehold neighbors. 

But then again, perhaps I'm putting too much thought into this.  
    edited August 2018
    To be honest, my suggestion at towers providing some sort of benefit to the immediate community is based on my own real life experience.  

When wind turbine projects start in rural communities, they are ALWAYS devisive. 
    Threre are those who are pro and con for ideological reasons, but mostly they divide lines between those that profit from them and those who don't. (Land owners vs other residents )  But everyone has to live with them, because they are highly visible structures. To ease the initial phases of these projects, the energy company may offer a "friendly neighbor" payment to residents who live within 1500 feet of a turbine location.  

So, using this example in my thinking, I can't help but wonder if a giant freehold tower could provide some sort of economic, trade, or social benefit to nearby freehold neighbors. 

But then again, perhaps I'm putting too much thought into this.  
    Teleports inside allowing transfer between freehold towers maybe :o Of course only in the same node.
  • AutumnLeaf said:
    Teleports inside allowing transfer between freehold towers maybe :o Of course only in the same node.
    I like that idea.  Keeping it limited to the city node it's attached to prevents it from turning into world wide fast travel.  

It does raise interesting strategic possibilities for potential city siege attacks. 
  • Examples #1 and #2 look more Freehold friendly in size and height.  #1 looks like it would need a teleportation pad to get inside.  I like the idea of them as #1 could be a sort of get-a-way private spot, and #2 more as a watchtower.  Generally speaking, I like them, and if the heights were limited to perhaps 3 to 4 stories they would not be too disruptive if several were in an area of close proximity. 
  • Lol to use barad dur and Orthanc as your example xD. I'd love to have Orthanc on my freehold
  • Lol to use barad dur and Orthanc as your example xD. I'd love to have Orthanc on my freehold
    Hey I had to toss them in there, I am talking about towers right haha.
  • Yes I need to build the Black Tower of Arkhan so it fits in with the Nagashizzar

• nagash said:
    Yes I need to build the Black Tower of Arkhan so it fits in with the Nagashizzar

@nagash buddy! Why, I moved into the freehold right next to you! 
    We're going to be BFF neighbors, oh boy!

• nagash said:
    Yes I need to build the Black Tower of Arkhan so it fits in with the Nagashizzar

When finally reality hits nagash. That big towers like that just wont exist.
  • @nagash buddy! Why, I moved into the freehold right next to you! 

When finally reality hits nagash. That big towers like that just wont exist.
    I hate you both 
  • I like the thought of towers as well, specifically when it comes to mages.

As for the watchtower, if you could allow multiple players (citizens of your node or guild) to go up and down it without crashing the rest of your freehold maybe.

I think towers, if built, should be tied to the size of the node. So your tier 1/2/3 etc. towers would all be at different heights.

I would be against fast travel between towers, even in the same node, I would like that can of worms to stay as closed as possible for as long as possible.
  • Azathoth said:
    .I think towers, if built, should be tied to the size of the node. So your tier 1/2/3 etc. towers would all be at different heights.

This makes perfect sense. Especially since towers are almost a phallic symbol of economy. 

My my tower is bigger then yours! Neener Neener!
  • @nagash buddy! Why, I moved into the freehold right next to you! 

Image result for oh hell no meme
  • Azathoth said:

I would be against fast travel between towers, even in the same node, I would like that can of worms to stay as closed as possible for as long as possible.
    If you were referring to my teleportation pad for #1, that is just from top to bottom, not to other towers.  If just a remark in general, yeah, I'm in agreement.
  • Can we have grotesques and gargoyles on our towers ^^
  • *snip*
    I was referring to this.

Having a tower that has a portal in the entry that takes you to the top is a great idea, reminds me of Morrowind :smile:

• Azathoth said:
    *snip*
    I was referring to this.

Having a tower that has a portal in the entry that takes you to the top is a great idea, reminds me of Morrowind :smile:

Bah, 'ya bums!  Take the stairs! 
    Perhaps we'll have little FitBit Fairies hovering over our shoulder, urging us on to use our legs.

"Come on Azathoh! Don't take the magic portal, you just need to do 16 more steps!"

"Wake up and get your lazy ass out of bed! It's time to jog around the forest! Hooray!"
  • Azathoth said:
    *snip*
    I was referring to this.

Perhaps we'll have little FitBit Fairies hovering over our shoulder, urging us on to use our legs.

"Come on Azathoh! Don't take the magic portal, you just need to do 16 more steps!"

"Wake up and get your lazy ass out of bed! It's time to jog around the forest! Hooray!"
    Can you even reach the next stair?
  • nagash said:
    Azathoth said:
    *snip*
    I was referring to this.

Can you even reach the next stair?

• I don't take short cuts, the world hands them to me.
  • I just need a place to lock a princess away in. Castle, tower, make no mater s long as it keeps those pesky princes out with their kisses.
  • Karthos said:
    I just need a place to lock a princess away in. Castle, tower, make no mater s long as it keeps those pesky princes out with their kisses.
    *clap clap* finally someone gets my needs 
  • nagash said:
    Karthos said:
    I just need a place to lock a princess away in. Castle, tower, make no mater s long as it keeps those pesky princes out with their kisses.
    I'd say the princess would have a heart attack if she was surrounded by the dead all the time.
    edited August 2018
    nagash said:
    Karthos said:
    I'd say the princess would have a heart attack if she was surrounded by the dead all the time.
    That helps ^^