Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Skins changing names ?

I was wondering what if skins also changed the name of the items ? If I have let's say a lvl50 'Magic Sword' and put a 'Holy Sword' skin on it I think it would be nice if the displayed name changed to Holy Sword, or racial skins changing the name of our displayed race, just something that would allow us to better immerse in the game ?

Comments

• Since the idea is for skins to be visual cues that overwrite the base item, don't see why they would. You wouldn't be able to sell an iron sword that you had skinned to be "Holy Vorpal Decapitator +5" since skins aren't tradeable, and would lead to all sorts of scamming. May change before launch, but the display options of what information you can pull from inspecting characters is going to be limited at best to stop people from using that tool to "game" it to gain advantage.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2018
    What about it changing the item's icon on your paper doll to the costume's icon? So it's still called a magic sword but the icon looks like the holy sword icon in your paper doll.

Technically applying a skin isn't changing the item. Applying your holy sword skin to your demon sword is only changing the demon sword's appearance. It may have a more angelic, holy appearance but it is still a demon sword with all it's original demonic attributes. 
  • what about runes that do this instead of skins?
  • Since the idea is for skins to be visual cues that overwrite the base item, don't see why they would. You wouldn't be able to sell an iron sword that you had skinned to be "Holy Vorpal Decapitator +5" since skins aren't tradeable, and would lead to all sorts of scamming. May change before launch, but the display options of what information you can pull from inspecting characters is going to be limited at best to stop people from using that tool to "game" it to gain advantage.
    Ah I mean purely cosmetic change and if you would try to sell that it would of course be without the skin, even more so if skins were apllicable to 1 item per skin, so as long as the item belongs to you it's name would change from 'Iron Sword' to 'Holy Sword' and whatever upgrade level it is etc.
  • Only if they implemented altering skins and were not removable could I see this happening. But the skins are only a mask and most likely that is all they will be.
  • @AutumnLeaf
    It would be cool if you could rename all of your gear on your paper doll and in your inventory, but when sold, traded, dropped, potentially stolen, or inspected the original name appeared it would be awesome!
  • Azathoth said:
    @AutumnLeaf
    It would be cool if you could rename all of your gear on your paper doll and in your inventory, but when sold, traded, dropped, potentially stolen, or inspected the original name appeared it would be awesome!
    This is more or less what I wanted yeah :3 
  • Sounds like a good idea it would be cool if racial skins changed the name of your race too well just the name though :p
  • If it gets me a lich skin then yes I will back this 100%
  • nagash said:
    If it gets me a lich skin then yes I will back this 100%
    Lich would be more like a class no ? but then again monsters are more twords changing species rather than classes :3
  • nagash said:
    If it gets me a lich skin then yes I will back this 100%
    Lich would be more like a class no ? but then again monsters are more twords changing species rather than classes :3
    we not really as a lich can be any class in a game just people think of mages. I lich is just someone who has used a phylactery to keep part of their soul from being destroyed when they die.
  • Lich would probably override race.   Actual that might be cool if they add things down the road like Lich, Lycanthrope (several different types), Vampire, and maybe some other ascended or cursed types that could actually change your starting race and replace your racials.  Something better then what ESO tried to do where it was just another skill tree but something that had permanent changes on your racial level.

Probably be a hassle to code and balance though, but still cool.
  • This is a interesting line of thought. So, "Lich" would neither be race or class, but rather a "condition."  Much like a illness or curse. 

Liches, Vampirism, Werewolf....ism... these supernatural states could be like an alternate form of advancement independent of race and class - adding another layer to augmented abilities.  Only this layer of advancement would contain more extreme forms of pros and cons to affect your gameplay. 

Interesting to ponder!
  • After ESO I don't think I could stomach seeing another bloody Vamp.
  • Kratz said:
    After ESO I don't think I could stomach seeing another bloody Vamp.
    But lichs you would love to see. right.... right ^^
  • *tumbleweed*
  •  :'( 
  • nagash said:
     :'( 
    You'll always be an abomination to me, @nagash
    🤗
  • 2 dwarves ganging up on a defenseless skeleton, quite the sight please do continue. Now where did I leave my popcorn ? 
  • 2 dwarves ganging up on a defenseless skeleton, quite the sight please do continue. Now where did I leave my popcorn ? 
    and here I was being nice

• nagash said:
    2 dwarves ganging up on a defenseless skeleton, quite the sight please do continue. Now where did I leave my popcorn ? 

Being nice is one way of putting it when most undead are lacking in any deeper feelings, like robots :O
  • nagash said:
    2 dwarves ganging up on a defenseless skeleton, quite the sight please do continue. Now where did I leave my popcorn ? 

Being nice is one way of putting it when most undead are lacking in any deeper feelings, like robots :O
    Why not both 

• I was being nice too!   That's how you tell wraiths, liches, and zombies that you respect their unlife choices!

;)