Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Heritage Quest or a similar system

Hi, I do not know if this topic has been addressed yet, but it's something I've been wondering since I heard about AoC and seeing that part of the team has worked on an MMO that brought me a lot of happiness in their day (I speak of Everquest 2 ), I was wondering if there are plans to incorporate quest of the type "heritage" or something similar to legendary artifacts in which you have to make several quest chains. I think that this type of quest can give a lot of play and extend the life of the MMO giving interesting things to do.

I think there are mechanics like these that have not been used well in other games in which get legendary or exceptional equipment (call it as you like) is purely forgiving completely forgetting the fact of living adventures with your friends while you try to get that equipment . Even if you have planned to include it in the future, it would be possible that, once the useful level of that equipment has been exceeded, you can place it in your home as an exhibition so that everyone who visits you can see your achievements.

Perhaps it is a question a bit absurd to debate, but I would like to leave it in the air and see what others think and if the idea is liked, maybe it will be added in the future.

A greeting.

Comments

• Allo' @Gordo!

I just gotta say, that I loved those Heritage quests in EQ2 also.  To me, those were the quintessential type of quest that lived up to the name of "EverQuest."
    The one that immediately springs up to my mind was the Peacock questline which started out so innocently and inconspicuously but snowballed into something epic. 

My beloved "Dwarven Work Boots" quest was also something I innocently stumbled into in those early days, and before long I had wrangled my guild into helping me out and we were all battling that insane Griffin.  (I was kind of saddened that they made some of those quests easier in later years.)

Those are the kinds of quests that invoke the fond memories in these games.... and the item reward at the end was icing on the cake! 
    It was an act of brilliance that they made those Legendary Weapon rewards both usable and place-able as decor in your house. 

Now, I haven't scoped out any info as to the possibility of quests like this in Ashes, but I certainly hope so!  I know there has been an emphasis on dynamic node events, but in my mind, nothing beats a finely crafted and detailed story driven questline to sink my teeth into. 
  • I certainly hope that we will be able to place trophies in our homes from legendary quests and other adventures.  In EQ2 it was fun to go into people's homes and you could tell where they had been in world and what they've accomplished by looking at the trophies and other objects displayed.
  • Sounds good as long as these 'legendary' items from the quests are separated from the legendaries hidden across the game, interesting quests are definitely the thing that keeps me engaged the most in a game in the long term. 
  • @Gordo ... I want to say " Yes " . But I'm not entirely sure. I think there might be something similar to it. Chances are ... " yes " , but not exactly like it. 
  • The idea of similar quests to EQ2's heritage quests is something I'm hoping for - but since those quests were a way to find items that were of legendary status (actual proper use of the term - not just an item tag) in the original EQ, I don't see how we could have quite the same thing in Ashes. 

Maybe in the future if we get an Ashes 2.

EQ2's version of similar quests that were essentially the same in scope and scale, but rewarded items not found in EQ was the signature quest lines.
  • Noaani said:
    The idea of similar quests to EQ2's heritage quests is something I'm hoping for - but since those quests were a way to find items that were of legendary status (actual proper use of the term - not just an item tag) in the original EQ, I don't see how we could have quite the same thing in Ashes. 

EQ2's version of similar quests that were essentially the same in scope and scale, but rewarded items not found in EQ was the signature quest lines.
    Well, those heritage quest rewards being items from EQ were just a fun bit of flair for  fans, but the items themselves were still fantastic items to use for the most part. (I say for the most part, because most ofthe time I got them, I had already outleveled them to be useful for combat use..)

But all of that is ilrelevant here because the rewards can be anything.  It's the scope of the quests themselves that we are talking about.  
    And those Heritage and Signature quests were the best.   Hopefully Intrepid doesn't feel like gamers today don't have the patience or attention span to complete them.  
    I want my patience tried, in a good way! ;)
  • My favorite quest of this nature that I have completed personally is in Rift.  Shortly after launch they added a long quest chain for a mount. I still use the Crocalisk as my main mount. The quest took a couple days to do but was super fun.
  • Noaani said:
    The idea of similar quests to EQ2's heritage quests is something I'm hoping for - but since those quests were a way to find items that were of legendary status (actual proper use of the term - not just an item tag) in the original EQ, I don't see how we could have quite the same thing in Ashes. 

Well, those heritage quest rewards being items from EQ were just a fun bit of flair for  fans, but the items themselves were still fantastic items to use for the most part. (I say for the most part, because most ofthe time I got them, I had already outleveled them to be useful for combat use..)

But all of that is ilrelevant here because the rewards can be anything.  It's the scope of the quests themselves that we are talking about.  
    And those Heritage and Signature quests were the best.   Hopefully Intrepid doesn't feel like gamers today don't have the patience or attention span to complete them.  
    I want my patience tried, in a good way! ;)
    Yeah, I was stating it more for accuracy sake than anything.

Signature and Heritage quests were essentially the same thing (at least starting from DoF), the only actual difference was whether the item reward was from EQ or not. It was the simple fact that the reward being from EQ is what defined a Heritage quest over a Signature quest that made me decide to post.

For me though, it was the RoK epic quest lines that I remember the most fondly - purely because you had to actually think about the quest text and NPC dialogue, and have a sound knowledge of the games lore and population in order to figure out where your next update may be.

I actually leveled characters up to 80 in order to run all 24 of these.

• I loved the heritage quests in EQ2 as well.  It was really nice that when you out-leveled the item you could convert it into a piece of art to decorate your home.  I remember getting quite a few of them.  Journeyman's boot, polished granite tomahawk, serrated bone dirk, bone-bladed claymore, the shiny brass shield...the list goes on and on.

I can really see something like this in AoC.  Since we are coming back to Verra it would make sense that we would seek out the lore and history of our races once we return.  I can see part of that lore being some legendary items from our races storied past.  It's things like this that a can really extend the lore of an MMO and keep you in it for the long haul.
  • Noemad said:
    I loved the heritage quests in EQ2 as well.  It was really nice that when you out-leveled the item you could convert it into a piece of art to decorate your home.  I remember getting quite a few of them.  Journeyman's boot, polished granite tomahawk, serrated bone dirk, bone-bladed claymore, the shiny brass shield...the list goes on and on.

I can really see something like this in AoC.  Since we are coming back to Verra it would make sense that we would seek out the lore and history of our races once we return.  I can see part of that lore being some legendary items from our races storied past.  It's things like this that a can really extend the lore of an MMO and keep you in it for the long haul.
    I could see a heritage type system where players are re-finding relics from the past, but for it to be as meaningful as EQ2's HQ's, at least some people need to have some form of existing connection to the item.

One thought could be if the D&D game that Steven is thinking about is set in Verra before everyone had to leave. The items they come across could be used as quest rewards (with possible quest clues given in the D&D game itself).