Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

[Theory/Speculation] Is Corruption "demonic" in nature?

The newsletter we received recently states: "A glimpse of the powers you will harness in Ashes.  Wonders of the elements, radiance of light and the darkness of corruption."

The one that seems most obviously tied to "corruption" would be this one:

Now, there's a lot to be said about design intentions.  When made for a setting things rarely coincidentally look like something else—things such as color and shape can very well clue us in as to what the intentions are.  Which could be why these immediately reminded me of the only other white-pink-purple glowy thing I could think of that we've seen so far:

Then I started to think about what some of the enemies have been called in the past.  "Demonic Spider" and "Demonic Bunny" both come to mind.  We also know that all of the cosmetics have aspects of lore accuracy, so the idea of a "Demon" existing is legitimate in some form (even if unlikely to be encountered in actuality).

Then, we can look at other past quotes, namely these:
  • "There was a split in the Pantheon of gods early in the creation of the universe. The gods that split do influence the corrupt side of the beings that exist in the universe. It is possible through questing/player decisions to worship those gods instead." ( Source )
  • "A common theme in ashes of creation is you're going to see creatures that were once these beautiful magnificent things kind of corrupt by this malevolent presence. That dark force." ( Source )
  • "We’re going more down the route of corruption/purity as opposed to darkness/light or good/evil." ( Source )
  • "The world in Ashes has been void of civilization for centuries.  Without revealing too much of the lore, it is important to know that long ago, there was a great calamity.  This resulted in a mass exodus of the planet, granted by divine intervention.  A corruption befell the land, twisting and perverting every facet of nature, from the troll-like creature you see below to all the way up to giant behemoths, nothing escaped its touch.  More of our lore and story will be revealed carefully in the future, but for now, know that this corruption is always present." ( Source )
We also know that, on the opposite side of the coin—Angels must exist in some form.  "Corruption" vs. "Purity" is embodied no better than by "Demons" and "Angels".  Maybe the world of Verra was invaded by a demonic presence (corruption), lead by one or more of the gods who influence that sphere.

The one thing this doesn't account for however, is why (seemingly) heavily corrupted things seem to be red so far.  "Why would the force itself be purple, but the effects it gives off be red?" is something I haven't been able to answer for myself.  The most likely answer, to me, is that there are different kinds of corruption—maybe even stemming from different gods?  Otherwise, Demonic influences and Corruption influences might be entirely different.  Or, in perhaps a just-as-likely scenario: Maybe the color doesn't mean much at all.

Comments

• Maybe the gods are crazy and their visual range is in the infrared, so they see red and purple the same.
  • Probably different kinds of corruption, the purple could be magical in nature or demonic, while the red one we have seen before could be related to why people had to flee from Verra in the past.
  • My theory, they are colorblind. 
  • Could be that demonic is native to Verra and purple; whereas, corruption is alien (not from Verra) and red.
  • All I care about is using their magic and becoming pope nothing else matters
  • nagash said:
    All I care about is using their magic and becoming pope nothing else matters
    The pope of what excatly do you want to be ? xD
  • Das racist. Art thou suggesteth that all demons are corrupted. Um pls don't generalize a group of them because of one bad apple. See what happens to the balrog in lord of the rings? All he wanted was to cross the bridge but Gandalf was all like "nah imma push you off bro"

Anyway jokes aside, is that second picture something that was shown in a livestream? Seems like a really cool thing that a summoner could summon.
  • Das racist. Art thou suggesteth that all demons are corrupted. Um pls don't generalize a group of them because of one bad apple. See what happens to the balrog in lord of the rings? All he wanted was to cross the bridge but Gandalf was all like "nah imma push you off bro"

Anyway jokes aside, is that second picture something that was shown in a livestream? Seems like a really cool thing that a summoner could summon.
    Its a skin for people who have the leader of men pack ^^
  • Yep, as Nagash said!  People who have the Leader of Men package get the Demon/Angel race skins.
  • Maevynn said:
    Yep, as Nagash said!  People who have the Leader of Men package get the Demon/Angel race skins.
    Now all we need is a lich skin ^^
  • nagash said:
    Maevynn said:
    Yep, as Nagash said!  People who have the Leader of Men package get the Demon/Angel race skins.
    They did actually mention an Undead racial skin as a possibility of something they're considering!
  • Maevynn said:
    nagash said:
    Maevynn said:
    They did actually mention an Undead racial skin as a possibility of something they're considering!
    when? If this is a real thing then I will get it in an undead heart beat!
  • nagash said:
    They said it's just an idea at the moment and they don't know if they'll do it or not, but here's a link to Steven talking about it!
  • Give me all the corruption  >:)>:)>:)>:)
  • If "gods" or magical beings can influence corruption then I would be more interested in the history of that character and how he impacted Verra. Not to get it confused with the "Corruption" system.

Let's say this corrupt magic of the naturalistic world can be influenced by the player base and everybody inside that node only persists on player killing and somehow manages to muster some Master artisans and gatherers or w/e you need to build a Metropolis and all of sudden raise an undead army and destroy your Capital....lol....uhhh....possible? /mindblown
  • Hell, do that and tie-in your Corruption system to dark magic and Intrepid(if-you-made-it-work) could make history in being the first MMORPG to emphasize the player-versus aspect to just that, ALL aspects.
  • Maevynn said:
    nagash said:
    They said it's just an idea at the moment and they don't know if they'll do it or not, but here's a link to Steven talking about it!
    This gives me so much hope
  • nagash said:
    Wait, but undead hearts don't beat. Does that mean you'll never get it?
  • nagash said:
    touche
  • nagash said:
    nagash said:
    touche
    Feelsbadman