Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

[Theory/Speculation] What do you think the gods' individual spheres of influence might be?

So we have some information on the gods, but only a little bit:
  • The gods are real and do exist in this universe, and they interact with us.
  • The gods are a part of a pantheon of 10 that created the universe.
  • The pantheon of gods split early in the creation of the universe.
  • We can choose between some of them for the six religions.
  • Some of the gods are more antagonistic.
  • Gods embody metaphysical concepts, not specific things.  Examples of "Creation" and "Love" were given, though not necessarily confirmed.  ("Goddess of the Moon" and "God of the Centaurs" were types of gods Steven said wouldn't really be a thing.)
  • One god's representative symbol is the Phoenix.
Here are my ideas, feel free to share your own as well:
  • Deity of Creation/Life
  • Deity of Emotion
  • Deity of Death/Destruction
  • Deity of Corruption/Mutation
  • Deity of Purity
  • Deity of Violence
  • Deity of Change
  • Deity of Deception/Illusion/Trickery
  • Deity of Knowledge
  • Deity of Time
  • Deity of Chaos
  • Deity of Order
  • Deity of Might/Power
  • Deity of Magic
Also, something else to think on..

If all of the cosmetics fit the lore in some way (even if by odd circumstances) — then what do the Angel and Demon skins represent?  Are Angels aligned with the Gods?  If so what would the Demons be aligned with?  One of the gods?  The gods on the other side of the "schism"?  The more antagonistic/dark gods?  Are there "Anti-Gods" (Devils?) who have their own spheres (akin to Daedric Princes from TES)?  Or are the Angels and Demons more like some in other universes, lesser celestial beings beneath Gods who may or may not be allied to/enemies of the gods?

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    I don't really have anything to add but i like your idea of the angel and demon skin. That angel is aligned with one group of gods and demons are aligned with another.

While i wrote this post i thought the angel and demon might be similar to the life and death forces that clerics control, with angels being related to the life side and demons related to the death side. The clerics power might come from a divine source and that source might be related to these skins. 
  • Options
    Through a bit of digging—I actually think that Corruption may be Demonic in nature.  I'm going to make a separate thread with my thoughts on that!  We do know that some of the gods influence corruption, so if that all pans out then some of the gods-that-split-off might be better understood as "Demonic" forces.  We'll have to see!
  • Options
    Do we have any idea about the everyday results for religion ingame? Religion effect on abilities, shrines and temples in cities and so on? Religious taxes, religious leadership, effect on non-divine nodes? Just idle curiosity.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Oban said:
    Do we have any idea about the everyday results for religion ingame? Religion effect on abilities, shrines and temples in cities and so on? Religious taxes, religious leadership, effect on non-divine nodes? Just idle curiosity.
    Unfortunately they haven't really went into any real depth with regards to religion, it's something I hope that they tell us more about in the near future.

All we really know currently is that the various religions will provide different bonuses and augmentations to players and that shrines and temples will be used as part of the religion progression system.
  • Options
    A deity of war ? honestly I could just become the Supreme Deity and have all those guys go on some free vacation, I mean new world, new rules yeah ? ;)
  • Options
    A deity of war ? honestly I could just become the Supreme Deity and have all those guys go on some free vacation, I mean new world, new rules yeah ? ;)
    Oh this should be a game you have to give the members of the ashes comunity a deity 
  • Options
    Oban said:
    Do we have any idea about the everyday results for religion ingame?
    Not much is known of religion's influence on everyday life. Most of the information we have can be found here.

Edit: I wrote this yesterday, hit send, forum didn't like it, now it comes up over 24h later? :D So much for Let's talk about this forum

• Options
    To me it is sort of clear that divine nodes profit from temples, but what about non-divine nodes? can they build lesser shrines of deities of nearby divine nodes? would be interesting reason for loyality and/or war. 
  • Options
    I would worship a god of love and fertility like Debella in Elder Scrolls. The beautiful things draw me in. 
  • Options
    makinoji said:
    I would worship a god of love and fertility like Debella in Elder Scrolls. The beautiful things draw me in. 
    and I just lost all respect for you ^^

I'm joking of course 
  • Options
    Oban said:
    To me it is sort of clear that divine nodes profit from temples, but what about non-divine nodes? can they build lesser shrines of deities of nearby divine nodes? would be interesting reason for loyality and/or war. 
    You could also use the shrines as a way to strengthen clerics or something. Having some local shrines and related npcs could be a good way of giving quests and lore pieces too
  • Options
    @nagash on another note, I see you EVERYWHERE nagash. I'm pretty sure that you're responsible for atleast 30% of all the comments I see.

(and you have a really long title, "Member, Alpha 0 Participant, Alpha 1 Stress Test alpha-stress-teste")

GLHF
  • Options
    Badde00 said:
    @nagash on another note, I see you EVERYWHERE nagash. I'm pretty sure that you're responsible for atleast 30% of all the comments I see.

(and you have a really long title, "Member, Alpha 0 Participant, Alpha 1 Stress Test alpha-stress-teste")

GLHF
    haha yeah ive been here for a while the post have stacked up since day one ^^
  • Options

What else could we have? Good question! Here a few of my guesses. Some are similar. 

•                    Prosperity

•                    Fate

•                    Luck

•                    Love

•                    Family

•                    Civilization

•                    Crafting

•                    Invention

•                    Justice

•                    Vengeance

•                    Darkness

•                    Void

•                    Light

•                    Change

•                    Rebirth

•                    Restoration

•                    Pestilence

•                    War

•                    Famine

•                    Sorrow

•                    Discord

It'll be super interesting to see what ends up being in the game though. Hard to just sit and speculate! Can't wait.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    I think shrines will help regenerate health points and might remove corruption. Let's say you become corrupt, so you visit 10 shrines and the corruption goes away. The trick is not getting killed before you visit 10 shrines. Religion might help in the taming of animals or it might increase your focus so your shots are more accurate. Shrines might help you during droughts, if that's a thing. Let's say a drought comes to your node so everyone prays the drought away. Having religion points might protect your ship from hurricanes or ocean squalls too. So far we all know there will be weather and we're assuming that means seasons, but with these guys I think nothing is impossible. We might have tornadoes and hurricanes too.  Praying at shrines might help at parlor games and the stock market too. lol. Maybe praying will help your crops grow because you can build one on your Freehold. Maybe it's a mini zoi thing that helps crops grow.
  • Options
    One thing I notice a lot of the time is that many hold that civilization is a "Good" domain for deities in these fantasy environments.

Civilization creates settlements for people.  People who are social creatures join together to create their own groups.  These groups provide social structure, and most importantly order.  Prior to civilization, the world existed in a state of chaos.

Science states that the universe favors actions that increase the net entropy, that is, the destruction of order, and the increase in chaos.  In all systems, the breakdown of larger molecules releases energy.  The metabolism of food is an energetically favorable process that increases entropy.  The civilization of the natural world by Homo Sapiens decreased chaos, and instilled order.

Thus, would the deities of AoC favor civilization, if they were nature deities, whose domains are rooted in the chaotic and wild natural world?  The Fire that consumed the land of Verra, and left us in the Ashes of its creation, was that an act of the deities, who favored the wild chaotic natural world, and sought to free the energy that was constrained by Order?
    ----------
    So, are the Deities of AoC spirits, remnants of the bygone era? Being of Power whose natures are unchanging, like the Valar and Maiar of Middle Earth? Or are the Deities of AoC born from the collective belief in their domains, much like the Greek and Roman deities were theorized to have been?
  • Options
    My main interest in deity lore would how players interact with the gods or the workings of these gods.. 
    Are clerics more attuned to the will of the gods or will they follow one above all?
    is that even more so if you double down on the cleric class (highpriest) and does that help move forward and upward in a religious in-game semi-guild like a fighter's guild or fisher's guild and the like?
    Does the race you pick ensure closer ties with a deity that represents the tags for that race? 
    Order for Kaelar, Law for Vaelune?
    Pride for Empyrean? (sounds like an interesting deity, to be sure.)
    Nature and balance for Py'rai? and so on.
    These are the things I'm most curious about and can't wait to explore when the game releases.
  • Options
    What if you divide the gods into "feelings"?

-Like rage, love, Pride, Grief, Lust etc. This could also be a way to do it. 

For Example, Rage=Fire 

And I am asking myself, are these gods are all Human like?   Since they created the world we could say that the Orcs, Elves and Humans worshiping the same gods.  With the   exception   of the Tulnar, who has been corrupted...(like the "dark sheep " of the family)

Will  the Tulnar stay  with their old traditions or found they something different in the deep of the underrealm ?   :wink: