Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Animal Husbandry and Otters

After seeing those griffin mounts I'm pretty sure animal husbandry is going to be my occupation. I do love the furniture, and that's what I had planned to do before the email this morning, but, dang, I love those griffins. 

Now, a positive note about otters. I want otters in the game.  :) Let's say you come to a stream and  you do not posses the magical powers needed to cross it. So you put an otter in the stream and it builds you a bridge.  :D Once you cross the stream you take your otter with you so someone doesn't come and catch it and take it away from you. 

You can also use otters to help you cut down big trees.  Just place, wait, what? Maybe I mean beavers. Which is the one that eats trees and builds dams? That's a beaver right? I want that. So you put a bunch of beavers around a big tree and they help you cut it down. What do otters do? They're the cute ones that break clams open on their bellies and hold hands right? I want those too. I want beavers and otters. 

Anyway, if you can breed, catch, or buy 10 beavers they will help you cut down big wood and you won't have to share the wood with other players. If other players help you then you have to share the wood. Maybe an otter would help you out at sea by finding pearls and maps in bottles and stuff. 

Comments

• haha I would back this idea just because it sounds cute as hell ^^
  • I'll plus one this
  • Sounds like a plan. build an army of beaver and otters xD
  • That would be amazing, sign me up!
  • Otters are the cutest animal ever. Seriously!
    Nothing beats a panda or a wolf ;)
    while I agree pandas are adorable I would have to say penguins are just as cute ^^
  • nagash said:
    Otters are the cutest animal ever. Seriously!
    while I agree pandas are adorable I would have to say penguins are just as cute ^^
    Featherless birds
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    Pandas can't cut down trees or swim. Wait. Panda mount!
    [spoiler]They CAN swim. I googled it.[/spoiler]
  • Did I understand the animal husbandry  part of the Twitch correctly? 
    Let's say you discover how to create a porcupine mount. When it is born you can move sliders to customize it. So does that mean you can keep breeding porcupine mounts and create 1,000 different ones? You can specialize in porcupine mounts without having to move on to breeding something else?
    edited August 2018
    .... That would be one prickly ride, and a heck'a huge porcupine. Then again, a bear sized wolverine for a mount....
    edited August 2018
    I went to look at Star Wars Galaxies to see how they do their crafting system and I like it. There are different tiers and at each one you can craft more stuff. So at level 1 maybe you catch some birds and breed them. After you level up to lvl 20 you move to tier 2, and now you can breed rodents. You breed rodents until you level up to lvl 30 and reach tier 3. This unlock mammals or something, and so on until you reach master level and can breed anything. 

In Star Wars Galaxies you can get pretty detailed on what you craft, including your tools. I don't know what the tools would be for animal husbandry but maybe you need to build the stables, or birdhouses, or places the animals live before you can breed them.  SWG breaks it down all the way to bare metal. Like, you need metals to build an anvil, then more metal and wood to build a hammer, then more metal to use your hammer and anvil to build a horseshoe. For animal husbandry I can't think of any tools, but if they break it down to the simplest things then maybe you need wood to build a fence, then more fence to build a corral, then wood and water to build a water trough, then salt for a salt lick, and hay for food, then two horses for breeding. 

You can probably get all that stuff from the environment for free or buy it from people. Like you can buy wood, fencing, water, water troughs, salt, and hay bales, even horses, and just put it all together if you have the money. I think a good approach would be to craft and do the stock market thing on the side. That way if you make money on the stocks you can use it for a quick boost in your craft. 

I think my strategy will be to buy things that take a long time to craft. Like collecting enough wood to build a corral might take hours, so buying a 4 ft section of fencing would be a time saver. What do you think?
  • Trained Squirrels.   Nuf Said.
  • I just want a pickaxe weapon with an otter enscribed in the hilt.

Call it the Otter Mattock.
  • I wants pickaxe that when I swing it baby pandas fly out the end and tickle my opponent until they cry uncle.