Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

New Combat footage from 17/8/18 livestream

Link for those that didn't see it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRK61F5RJdE

I have loved everything IS have shown so far. I have mostly loved the descriptions of the systems, there have been a few bits here and there that I felt could be adjusted after testing but overall I was extremely excited to play.

I am so utterly disappointed with the footage shown today. I am strongly considering asking for a refund. The only hope I have is that they have purposefully made the video like that to appeal to the masses and the actual combat is extremely different which was the case for ESO.

What are your thoughts?

EDIT -- I purpose of this post was to, quickly, show that enthusiastic backers are devastated to see the direction combat is taking. I will go, in-depth, into the problems with the direction combat is taking in another post when I'm less busy.

Comments

• Why would they do that. The combat def. has a lot to improve on, but the action side of it looks pretty good in my opinion. They spent months on this, they wouldnt just cheaply throw a compilation together if it wasn't real. It's not like you were watching a cinematic it was real in game footage. 

What specifically did you not like about it? It reminded me a lot of warframe and i'm personally ok with that. Just a little less jumping around would make it better for me i think
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    All-in-all , i'm treating this the same as the experimental QTE Bar - its not final, but it shows that they're thinking alot about Combat. Overall neutral, but i kinda liked it
  • I just love the fact that there is dodge roll active action combat like ESO, all that remains for me is actively block with shield / weapon and I'm sold on the combat side of the game. So I love the action based combat so far, hope they work on it more. It looks like it's really looking like ESO combat and I love it.
  • You can not ask for a refund if you have  invested into an idea that, at the time, was completely confounded upon a belief that you have committed to.
    On a standpoint from what we are seeing and what the devs have given us, the product has exceeded expectations and far surpassed its previous stages of development. 
  • you do know what they are showing is still in alpha and that is why we need to test the game. I sware people have n idea what a true alpha is anymore 
  • did you really make this thread just saying you didn't like it and want a refund with no explanation of what you didn't like or what you were expecting?? 
     :*  :*
  • For me personally it was like making a new cake, at the beginning it is a bit rough around the edges and an experiment that needs a lot of work, but I'll still lick the spoon (Alpha 1). After coming out of the oven it is even better and can be properly enjoyed (later testing phases). It is still quite early to judge as this is very early days and is only a first pass.
  • I personally loved the new combat footage. It looks like it will require some mechanical skill to be able to master.
  • Narys said:
    For me personally it was like making a new cake, at the beginning it is a bit rough around the edges and an experiment that needs a lot of work, but I'll still lick the spoon (Alpha 1). After coming out of the oven it is even better and can be properly enjoyed (later testing phases). It is still quite early to judge as this is very early days and is only a first pass.

This man speaks the truth :) 

• Seaber said:
    Link for those that didn't see it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPgmna33pb4

I have loved everything IS have shown so far. I have mostly loved the descriptions of the systems, there have been a few bits here and there that I felt could be adjusted after testing.

I am so utterly disappointed with the footage shown today. I am strongly considering asking for a refund. The only hope I have is that they have purposefully made the video like that to appeal to the masses and the actual combat is extremely different which was the case for ESO.

What are your thoughts?
    I'm assuming your talking about the combat footage, bear in mind that the combat will be refined because the projected release date is 2020. But I wish you were a little more specific.
    edited August 2018
    Haha then let me tell you the opposite story.
    I was skeptical the whole project untill i saw the last stream.
    I was worried for a game to be released in 2020 with a first generation combat system.
    After seeing the  route they are taking it got me relieved. I even upgraded my pack with another 250,- cause I wanted to support and show my appreciation to the fact that they are listening to an community that wants them to succeed!
    Please don t pull them down with strange topics like this.(we are not in the world of warcraft anymore.)
    edited August 2018
    ooops
    edited August 2018
    idk why it triple posted my comment my bad
  • Mr. rabbit may be playing the role and seeing how degenerate we are as species by mortyfying the truth from reality appetizing us with a cute shit trail to follow...
    edited August 2018
    Hmm...after checking out the warframe combat I kinda have some concerns,mainly in animation and camera control, but not enough to ask for a refund just yet.
  • Hmm...after checking out the warframe combat I kinda have some concerns,mainly in animation and camera control, but not enough to ask for a refund just yet.
    I never got that. would you ask for a refund on a car when its just being built? If you pay for a product before it comes out at your own risk then asking for a refund is pointless. 
  • First look at this and I'm not a fan, really don't like the need to aim for everything in MMOs. I'm okay with the occasional skill shot, but for the most part setting a target should be enough for most things to hit and then you have stats that effect hit rates.

When you have vastly different play styles (melee vs range) range often really suffers from needing to aim, and melee ends up with tons of mobility in order to close with the range. In the end things never balance. 
    edited August 2018

[...] ~deleted~

• nagash said:
    Hmm...after checking out the warframe combat I kinda have some concerns,mainly in animation and camera control, but not enough to ask for a refund just yet.
    I never got that. would you ask for a refund on a car when its just being built? If you pay for a product before it comes out at your own risk then asking for a refund is pointless. 
    Well, some people do that when the "car" is not turnin out as they expected, and if it is a car you are driving for years it had better be a car you are satisfied with. I'm also saying that while I have concerns, I realize things are early and I will have the chance to give my feedback, so I'm not considering that as an option yet(as opposed to the OP)

Now, and in Alpha 1, is the time for that feedback, since,unless there are changes going into Alpha 1, my first impression of the fighting is the bland swinging from The Elder Scrolls.

• EDIT -- I purpose of this post was to, quickly, show that enthusiastic backers are devastated to see the direction combat is taking. I will go, in-depth, into the problems with the direction combat is taking in another post when I'm less busy.
  • Welcome to action combat since this is the new wave of mmorpg's so put up or shut up and if you don't like elder scrolls online your not going to like this game.

Tab targetting MMORPG"S as the only option for combat is for old gaming styles and I remember a time where people got fed up of it and was looking for something new and eventually the MMORPG community influenced developers enough to make action combat an option.

So here we are again with people wanting to just go back to tab targeting combat as the only option where I always though it's a lazy way to fight. Just standing their like a punching bag and let all of your stats determine whether you kill your opponent or not? 

I'm sorry kids, but you have to work your *** out to kill me also ...(move, dodge ,block) or even telegraph some AOE abilities. But I also understand the need of some targeting abilities also and so I'm willing to compromise.

Steven said and gave out a warning that alpha 1 is going to focus on testing action combat only and people still assume that the direction their going is wrong under the assumption that there is no targeting abilities at all. WRONG! .. there will be targeting abilities where you won't be able to avoid. But that's for another testing session.

• Valerian said:
    So here we are again with people wanting to just go back to tab targeting combat as the only option where I always though it's a lazy way to fight. Just standing their like a punching bag and let all of your stats determine whether you kill your opponent or not? 
    Don't you ever get tired of attacking a straw-man with your action combat skillz?
  • Is that in depth problems post? I would really like to see it. Give us a good objective argument
  • While I'm not a huge fan of action combat, I do like that they are working on this hybrid system. If you watched the Livestream, they said that you'd be able to tailor your combat to one end of the spectrum if you wanted (Tab Target/Action). Giving players a degree of freedom in this sort of thing will be difficult, but if they manage to pull it off well, it will be amazing.

As for asking for a refund? That's not a terrific thing to do as a backer. It's a bit like giving little Jonny $10 to build a lemonade stand, but after you saw the type of wood he was planning on using, you ask for the money back without even letting him make any lemonade. This is early, early ALPHA. You cannot judge the entirety of combat on that video. That was strictly the ACTION combat side of things. If you prefer tab targetting, we haven't seen it yet, but it is coming.

And as for the combat about hoping that was a video that will be extremely different from what is actually delivered...why? You're actually asking for false advertisement from a company that has done its best to remain honest? It will look better in the end version, as this is early, but completely different? I hope not. If it is, that whole video was pointless fluff that meant nothing.
    edited August 2018
    Looks better then the other videos I've seen so far.
    What I liked:
    -the bows look fairly smooth and skill based
    -The teleport
    -roll
    -bigger spells
    -movement (maybe to fast, i wont know till i play tho)
    -items dropped?

What needs improvement (IMO)
    -Collisions when taking damage seem so quick its non existent. Players animations should at least flinch or gush out some blood for a second when wounded by these giant meteors and crossbow arrows.

-needs a on target thing so I know who Im targeting. Like a little red target circle on them. where i can hit a botton and it highlights the closest enemy target. Skills can still be all skill shots but just for the sake of visually picking targets to go after.

-dragable health bars? (mine, my enemys, my teammates)

-The melee looked like it needs work. The hits look like they felt shallow, like the staff just goes right through them. It should feel like your colliding with the opponent and chopping away at them and they char should react to getting hit. Not just the hit passes right through them. Also, I feel like the melee weapons should colide if they hit each other. 

random questions
    -can we have an overhead point of view option?
    -Im confused about healing? Can i heal myself or cross heal my teammates?
    -What about pvping on a mount?

Big ups to the AOC team I AM LIKING WHAT I AM SEEING. 
  • The action and combat itself looks great, IMO, the only thing that needs polishing are the white crossbows and staves. Also, sometimes you can't tell if he's wielding a spear or quarterstaff. But as you know, it's still in the early stages, and what they've got so far that is indicative of what's to come is pretty awesome.
  • Considering he was wielding a wand,  correct? I'd say it has progressed quite a bit and they have quite an assortment of weapons,  which definitely should be speaking to crafters right now.