Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Hitboxes/range affected by char size?

Hey,

Im askin whether anyone knows if your characters size is going to matter in the game?
Small char=lower range and smaller box
Large =higher range, larger box?

I would personally prefer size not affecting because of earlier bad experiences.

Post ur facts and/or opinions?

Comments

• Me too.
    Can you imagine all Metas being small chars? Cute races?
    Ffs
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    Everyone should have the same hit box size.
    If I wanna play a Dwarf, I shouldnt have an advantage over a big smelly orc player just cause I might be harder to click.

Stats are a different thing tho ;) dumb smelly orcs/orks :D
  • Who needs hitboxes when you can plunge the battlefield into chaos with AoE spells ? I mean that hits 100%
  • if we are going to keep the current ability builds AoE is going to be less of an issue.
    Im guessing less AoE is better for large scale too.

Ranger seems to only have an ultimate skill with a larger area and others just "go through" enemies.

gb1990gaming said:
     Me too.
    Can you imagine all Metas being small chars? Cute races?
    Ffs
    Exactly this... Couldnt bear being encouraged to make char as small as possible..
  • With action combat being one option of play and there being more to a race besides it's hitbox(attributes, augmentations), i don't think it's a big deal if some races have bigger or smaller hotboxes.
  • When ure shooting an arrow u need to aim as ranger it still doesnt affect?

The discussion is relevant regarding character creation phase.
    Informations and vision from IS would be appreciated :)
  • It also becomes absurdly relevant in regards to the monster coin system.
  • Honestly, hitboxing affected by size could work if there were not only benefits but negative effects. I mean a 7 foot giant of a man weilding a club would be a pincushion against ranged but in your face it's an "Ooooh shit!" moment. While a little 4 foot fellow is hard to hit but up close, "I'm gonna stab ya in the knee!"
  • Honestly, hitboxing affected by size could work if there were not only benefits but negative effects. I mean a 7 foot giant of a man weilding a club would be a pincushion against ranged but in your face it's an "Ooooh shit!" moment. While a little 4 foot fellow is hard to hit but up close, "I'm gonna stab ya in the knee!"
    True.
    However attempts at adding realistic attributes lead to Metas and dissapointment.
    I like realism in systems as long as it does not become game breaking
    TERA Online tried that, with epic failure as a result.  They made small races hard to hit but slightly increased the reach of larger races.

The end result is that small races are statistically superior.

Eh just make size a cosmetic thing.
  • While I also lean towards size just being cosmetic.. how does this work exactly?

We have been told things like head shots will be in this game.. so if a dwarf and an orc have the same size hit boxes for legs/body/head then the dwarf's head hit box wouldn't actually be around his head... you follow? It would be above his head.
  • Beolupus said:
    While I also lean towards size just being cosmetic.. how does this work exactly?

We have been told things like head shots will be in this game.. so if a dwarf and an orc have the same size hit boxes for legs/body/head then the dwarf's head hit box wouldn't actually be around his head... you follow? It would be above his head.
    Make it an abstract targeting area, or forget that plan.  Because otherwise you can’t balance it if you want players to be able to choose different heights.

Or...  Maybe the smaller your height, the smaller your overall hit box is, but the larger the “head” hit box is to compensate.  So maybe you get hit less but when you get hit you’re more likely to suffer a more serious blow.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    Beolupus said:
    While I also lean towards size just being cosmetic.. how does this work exactly?

These were my thoughts exactly after watching combat videos with hitboxes in mind. 
    If the hitboxes were larger they would get constant head shots because of the relation of hitbox size to the size of the dwarf 
    I was thinking that maybe if the hitbox surface area wouldnt change with size but the shape would.
    When the char is shorther the hit box is wider.
    This would be almost the same as the example with hitbox over heard but maybe a little less offputting?
    Instead of over head it'd be closer to above shoulderline
  • Beolupus said:

These were my thoughts exactly after watching combat videos with hitboxes in mind. 
    If the hitboxes were larger they would get constant head shots because of the relation of hitbox size to the size of the dwarf 
    I was thinking that maybe if the hitbox surface area wouldnt change with size but the shape would.
    When the char is shorther the hit box is wider.
    This would be almost the same as the example with hitbox over heard but maybe a little less offputting?
    Instead of over head it'd be closer to above shoulderline
    I like that idea.  I noticed that in a recent combat video they showed a ghostly outline of an enemy when it ran behind cover (not sure if that’s always in play or if that’s some kind of Perception power).  But it got me thinking that the hit box could be some kind of “aura” that you aim for to hit.