Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

[Speculation]Some Tulnar will be hostile towards player characters

ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
edited August 2018 in Ashes of Creation Lore
So first off, I wanna apologise if this has been talked about, I skimmed over a page or so on the list and didn't see a topic regarding this, so I felt like sharing my thoughts, and seeing what other people think.

So as we know, the Tulnar are the remainder of those who were left behind during the cataclysm (as far as I know and I could very well be wrong). My thoughts are that upon seeing the various races return, the Tulnar in general will likely be hostile. Though it has been pointed out to me, faction conflict won't be a thing.

The reason I think this is that due to the corruption it is likely that the Tulnar have suffered a decent amount during the vast amount of time since the races left verra behind. In their suffering they likely brewed a potent hatred for those who left them to die on this world. Obviously I need to clarify that the hostility is individual based and won't be aimed at Tulnar players, as Tulnar are a player race.

Do you think that several of the higher ups may display enmity towards characters that aren't Tulnar? Will the Tulnar be fairly xenophobic in general?

So, I know it's not really much, but what are everyone's thoughts? Does this make any sense, or am I just crazy for thinking this? Again apologies if this has been discussed.

Comments

• They have been deep underground and escaped most of the effects of corruption. There will not be faction based conflict, that has been made clear several times. There are other npc factions that have been hinted at, the avians for one are confirmed.
  • UnknownSystemError said:
    They have been deep underground and escaped most of the effects of corruption. There will not be faction based conflict, that has been made clear several times. There are other npc factions that have been hinted at, the avians for one are confirmed.
    I forgo about that. Thanks for pointing that out! I edited the post a bit.
  • There might be some lore conflict but honestly the races escaped a cataclysm cant really blame them for that :3
  • Cockroaches gonna be cockroaches
  • It's been hundreds of years so they probably won't hold a grudge unless they have really long lifespans. However, they will suck at art because most of them don't have opposable thumbs. 
  • sunfrog said:
    It's been hundreds of years so they probably won't hold a grudge unless they have really long lifespans. However, they will suck at art because most of them don't have opposable thumbs. 
    Oh I can see them holding grudges as I still have tulnar slippers ^^ 
  • nagash said:
    sunfrog said:
    It's been hundreds of years so they probably won't hold a grudge unless they have really long lifespans. However, they will suck at art because most of them don't have opposable thumbs. 
    I have reptilian Tulnar boots and bag ;)
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    nagash said:
    sunfrog said:
    Maybe I should've made my forum tag Yndrian instead of Lythawan. This is making me reconsider maining an elf over a Tulnar.
  • nagash said:
    sunfrog said:
    Maybe I should've made my forum tag Yndrian instead of Lythawan. This is making me reconsider maining an elf over a Tulnar. XD
  • nagash said:
    sunfrog said:
    Maybe I should've made my forum tag Yndrian instead of Lythawan. This is making me reconsider maining an elf over a Tulnar. XD
  • Even though faction conflict wont be thing I could see NPC enemy Tulnar corrupted by wa-I mean corruption.

cockroach vs radroach.
  • Sonicfani said:
    Even though faction conflict wont be thing I could see NPC enemy Tulnar corrupted by wa-I mean corruption.

cockroach vs radroach.
    beastmen called and they want you to finish what you said ^^
    edited September 2018
    I think there will be racism towards Tulnar. They will also be dumb. Unless you have an octopus/dolphin/border collie cross breed or something. They''ll suck at art and half of them won't be able to talk so they will all use sign language. They won't have a written language since half can't write and the rest are too dumb to read. They will eat a variety of food since they are carnivore, omnivore, and herbivores. Special armor will allow them to poop anywhere without taking it off. They will not like humans but they will be easy to bribe with treats. Cat like Tulnar will have a habit of knocking things off shelves. 
    edited September 2018
    Them some fighting words.

We aren't hostile, you are!
  • I re-enter Verra to claim and conquer if they wanna stand in my way fine!
  • Them some fighting words.

We aren't hostile, you are!
    It the Great Catastrophe all over again my Saurus friend 
    edited October 2018
    Again I will reference the Krojak livestream from this weekend where this exact issue was raised. There is no racial animosity between the races planned. Individuals can choose whatever path they want, but there is no "traditional" mmo racial animosity planned. This has to do with the lore of Sanctus and the history that will be revealed according to the Sandal God. The whole dwarves hate elves, elves hate humans, Tulnar hate everyone, will not be an issue.

Edit: By individuals I meant players, but it was also mentioned that you may also see individual npcs that exhibit racial bias.
  • So faction conflict indeed won't be a thing. Also, from the ashes wiki,

"Centuries turned to millennia, burying them beneath myriad calamities. Over eons, history became legend, then even the great legends were at last forgotten."

We don't know much about Verra anymore. It might be the same for the Tulnar, where the knowledge of the other races who left has become a just a story or a myth, until they all started pouring in again from the portals.

Or maybe they kept solid records but sometimes, even if you keep records of history, the actual feelings of the ancestors don't necessarily get passed down generations and generations after.

Anyway, I like to plan characters and one of my alts will be a Tulnar who is wary of the newcomers and will try to blend in to figure out who they are, where did they come from, their purpose, etc.  :)

• UnknownSystemError Can we trust the word of the Sandal God thou? gods can be fickle :)
    edited October 2018
    Double post sorry :)