Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Autopath

I hate it.
I hope it never becomes part of AoC. 
I played BDO, tried not to use it but it was there so I used it. I'd pretend to find stuff to do until my char would reach the destination only to come back to my chair and stare at the screen thinking why do I bother playing?
Where is the adventure in that?

Another thing.
 /follow "target"

Are we going to be seeing a player carrying the whole afk group around like that? 
That's what dual boxing allows.
2 PCs, 4 chars, one active player.
It's horrible. 

/autowalk 
char walks in a straight direction until you start moving manualy with WSAD or mouse.
Now this is a command that 99% of games have today and it is usefull when you need a free hand for a few seconds.

Comments

• There is limited "autopathing" available between two established transfer points. If node 1 builds a stables and node 2 has a stables and you have been to both before, there will be the option of taking transport between the two. They plan on very limited "fast travel" and what they have said will be there requires a huge time and resource sink for it to happen. They are sure to address the aspects of using autopathing to get around the caravan system and the dangers of overland and pvp travel. They have said they have no problem with multi-boxing, you just won't be able to automate actions. So if you want to have 4 accounts, knock yourself out, but they won't be following you and you hitting one button to gather materials on all 4 for example. Each account will need a separate button push. They have said they have background programs in place that will detect those that try to automate and bot, along with active reporting, active GM presence on servers and everything else they plan, not too big a worry.
  • We know alts are allowed.

We do not know if you can have multiple clients on the same machine open.  (Now truthfully setting up VMs to do this with isn't difficult)

You may seem people with a few alts following behind them.  As long as they are doing all their actions manually and not using bots/macros its within the rules.

• Auto pathing reminds me of how i Allods online you could pretty much ap to any location in the game....
  • I've never actually played any MMO with auto-pathing. From what I've seen in videos and game-play reviews, I don't think auto-pathing adds much to the game.

They are sure to address the aspects of using autopathing to get around the caravan system and the dangers of overland and pvp travel.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

I originally assumed that caravans will automatically travel to their destination. Maybe I am mistaken in that assumption. But it seems to me that if someone is relying on auto-path and NPC guards for defense, he is just asking to lose
    that caravan.

That system is going to require quite a bit of testing.
  • No Auto-path as its basically fast travel  and playing the game AFK
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    Nefelia said:
    I've never actually played any MMO with auto-pathing. From what I've seen in videos and game-play reviews, I don't think auto-pathing adds much to the game.

They are sure to address the aspects of using autopathing to get around the caravan system and the dangers of overland and pvp travel.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

I originally assumed that caravans will automatically travel to their destination. Maybe I am mistaken in that assumption. But it seems to me that if someone is relying on auto-path and NPC guards for defense, he is just asking to lose
    that caravan.

That system is going to require quite a bit of testing.
    There are caravans that are game generated once trade routes are established. Those are wholly npc affairs and will follow  a route chosen by the AI. Player generated caravans are customizable and can be scheduled to leave at certain intervals. They have said that players would have agency in directing those caravans. They are working on those mechanics if you remember the early Benny Hill PAX caravan videos where they showed them driving the caravans themselves and crashing them.

What did I mean by using the autopath to get around the system? I am a trader of mid-range refined metal. I can risk sending 10k units on a caravan and getting attacked when travelling from node A to node B. Or I could travel overland with 1k units on my mule trying to avoid gankers and other environmental hazards. Or I could load 100 units on my personal character, go to the stables, and afk my way to node B with a leisurely carriage ride safe from those grubby pvpers that want my stash. I agree, just like the mule system being in or out of the flagging systems, there are risk vs reward questions that have to be answered about any "no fast travel, but faster travel" system.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    It would be nice if 'Auto-Path Carriages' could be raided. I understand the whole point is to get somewhere while maybe afk, or because you don't want to risk PvP, but there should be a risk/reward associated with it.

If you were flagged purple for 'auto-path' options less players would use them, but you shouldn't be afk if your avatar isn't in a safe-space. I know this might be an unpopular direction to go in.

EDIT: proper form of their/there
  • I think the only autopathing we will see is going to be in the faster travel options, something kind of like the flight paths in world of warcraft
  • I like /follow because when traveling things come up where you have to leave the keyboard but don't want to make group have to stop and wait.

However, I could do without auto pathing, though I did use it frequently for long routes in BDO, but in BDO you still could be attacked.

The carriage system in ArchAge was nice and would like to see that; but I suspect it will be more of a horse post system similar to DAoC.
  • Auto-pathing is not fast travel. you can only go as fast as your legs or mount will carry you. You are also subject to all the dangers of running around the world save maybe auto-pathing will try to take roads and avoid wilderness areas like BDO.

If you really dont like auto-pathing dont use it. I hate having to hold a button down for minutes on end or make fiddling corrections to my direction. Auto-Pathing is a QoL improvement. Please include it in the game
  • Auto run/walk is fine as nothing worse than having to hold a button down for ages, but you should at least have to control the direction manually. With auto path I am not so sure I ddint much like it in BDO but it was there so I used it. 

Maybe auto path should be included but it should have a speed penalty a bit like the carriages in Archeage were slow. Good to use if you needed a quick break.

• Please have a walk/run where you don't have to have finger on button the whole time.  OMG that's physically harmful.
  • Pretty sure they are not going to have that. Steven said during the DE interview that he used to do stuff like have the bobbing bird hit a key to stop afk logouts and use toothpicks to hold down the movement keys on his keyboard for some activities in other mmos. He is aware of the issue and we can feel secure that they will make it not painful.
  • Pretty sure they are not going to have that. Steven said during the DE interview that he used to do stuff like have the bobbing bird hit a key to stop afk logouts and use toothpicks to hold down the movement keys on his keyboard for some activities in other mmos. He is aware of the issue and we can feel secure that they will make it not painful.
    Yeah, but weren't those to keep from being AFK kicked?
  • Well... my dislike for auto-pathing was developed in games that had a great deal of fast-travel options. With AoC's lack of fast-travel, auto-pathing may become a necessity.

We've got one year to test it out, so I'll keep an open mind on the issue and see how it would play put.
  • the question I have is why would you want an auto-path system in ashes?