Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Character progression locked behind open world Raid Bosses (not Epic Raids)

In most mmorpgs today you are max pv within a few days and then you lv up the remaining skills/professions of your char solo within a month. Then you grind the same dungeons for gear and then you improve it.

I remember in Line][Age that there were some quests, in order to unlock the last abilities of your class, that required to make a group, dare a certain hunting zones (cave, desert, tower, battlefield, forest, ruin) a number of Raid Bosses and kill them. Loot mats/parts/designs and if lucky a whole item. Then if you were high enough lv you would complete the question and unlock class abilities, continue leveling up in order to use them at 42, 46, 49, 50 lv.

Now once these raid bosses were killed it could take up to 24h to respawn. 
Some times groups would PvP over them, other times they would come together.
This gave reason for people to join guilds and progress together, help newbie members.
Such quests could take weeks to complete, giving depth to the game, and satisfactory rewards and real sense of progression.

I find such challenges to provide meaningful gaming experiences, memories and test of ability rather than:
Do story Question until lv 50.
Do this dungeon X times get weapon
Do this dungeon X times get armor.
Fight demons in this and this location unlock skills.
Join Battlegrounds and PvP.
All solo. Just join a queue from the city in which you currently bunny hop.

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    In most mmorpgs today you are max pv within a few days and then you lv up the remaining skills/professions of your char solo within a month. Then you grind the same dungeons for gear and then you improve it.

I remember in Line][Age that there were some quests, in order to unlock the last abilities of your class, that required to make a group, dare a certain hunting zones (cave, desert, tower, battlefield, forest, ruin) a number of Raid Bosses and kill them. Loot mats/parts/designs and if lucky a whole item. Then if you were high enough lv you would complete the question and unlock class abilities, continue leveling up in order to use them at 42, 46, 49, 50 lv.

Now once these raid bosses were killed it could take up to 24h to respawn. 
    Some times groups would PvP over them, other times they would come together.
    This gave reason for people to join guilds and progress together, help newbie members.
    Such quests could take weeks to complete, giving depth to the game, and satisfactory rewards and real sense of progression.

I find such challenges to provide meaningful gaming experiences, memories and test of ability rather than:
    Do story Question until lv 50.
    Do this dungeon X times get weapon
    Do this dungeon X times get armor.
    Fight demons in this and this location unlock skills.
    Join Battlegrounds and PvP.
    All solo. Just join a queue from the city in which you currently bunny hop.
    To answer your question, yes there will be legendary items and weapons behind some content.

But steven has made it a point that crafting will also play a big role in how all armor and weapons will work. And since the system is designed around player cooperation, getting great gear will likely take a fair amount of interaction with other players who specialize in certain crafts and resources needed :)
  • @Nelson_Rebel

My main point is class progression. Not farming gear.

Craftable gear for which players need to farm mats is the most valuable and it makes the game economy strong and meaningful.
  • @Nelson_Rebel

My main point is class progression. Not farming gear.

Craftable gear for which players need to farm mats is the most valuable and it makes the game economy strong and meaningful.
    Well it is confirmed that the best gear will be made from a mix of dungeon/raids and crafting (probably mats from those locations)
  • I don't know if I would appreciate level progression locked behind certain dungeons/raids/boss-monsters. On a larger scale it doesn't make any sense, if I am a craftsman by trade having to due those activities might prevent me from leveling. Then only those willing to focus their characters on raids would be the best craftsman (due to reaching higher levels).

I like the concept, I just don't think it would be super practical for those that will play Ashes and be less adventurous.

I see the benefits, forcing exploration, forcing playing in a team, and forcing players to really understand how well their class can fight. I just don't see it being necessary.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    Azathoth said:
    I don't know if I would appreciate level progression locked behind certain dungeons/raids/boss-monsters. On a larger scale it doesn't make any sense, if I am a craftsman by trade having to due those activities might prevent me from leveling. Then only those willing to focus their characters on raids would be the best craftsman (due to reaching higher levels).

I like the concept, I just don't think it would be super practical for those that will play Ashes and be less adventurous.

I see the benefits, forcing exploration, forcing playing in a team, and forcing players to really understand how well their class can fight. I just don't see it being necessary.
    I dont think there is any level progression lock

Almost certain there will be a max level gear cap of course. And that the crafting lines willl simply have options to "improve" the gear to a certain quality but there might be certain resources to get that are easier to get from dungeons or raids. A good enough incentive to re run content 

But there will be unique raid items and even open world rare items from stevens comments. But it wont be of a different level as that wouldnt make sense lol

All in all, interesting to speculate at the least. And we'll be able to provide feedback if the system isnt user friendly :)